DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   OSX stop from sleeping FW drive (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/16575-osx-stop-sleeping-fw-drive.html)

Matt Stahley November 2nd, 2003 05:58 PM

OSX stop from sleeping FW drive

I've been using a Granite FW case for a couple years now and it has been flawless. One question in 10.2.6 it always puts the FW drive to sleep when its not in use for a while seems like 10-15 minutes or so. Is there anyway I can put an end to this? Its just really annoying.

Jeff Donald November 2nd, 2003 06:14 PM

Yes, in the System Preferences>Energy Saver>put computer to sleep---never>uncheck put HD to sleep. Some third party software like Cocktail and Tinker Tool can also be configured to put the drives to sleep, too.

Matt Stahley November 2nd, 2003 06:34 PM

The sys pref. has been set to never and the put HD to sleep is always unchecked. Any other suggestions? I dont have any 3rd party software that would put the drive to sleep. It only does it with the FW drive. Thanks for the help.

Jeff Donald November 2nd, 2003 07:49 PM

Contact the drive manufacture for the latest drivers. You may need to upgrade to 10.2.8. Granite will be your best bet for answers.

Michael Westphal November 2nd, 2003 10:12 PM

I've never successfully stopped my external FW drives from going to sleep. The energy preference panel doesn't work and neither has Cocktail. I haven't tried Tinker Tool. I am running at 10.2.8
I've had to move projects around to keep them on one or two disks in order to keep the sleeping from messing up print to video. And I finally gave in and installed a second large internal hard drive for "current" video projects that I need to write to tape.

I'm hopeful that Panther will provide a fix, but I doubt it.
Of course, as I move away from outputting to tape and work more with DVD, the problem isn't as severe...

Matt Stahley November 3rd, 2003 03:35 PM

Does anyone else have this problem? Or is this just a normal action for FW drives?

Jeff Donald November 3rd, 2003 04:00 PM

Yes and no. I have one drive that goes to sleep how I set preferences and one that goes to sleep when it wants to. The one that doesn't obey is a much older drive, pre Oxford 911. It uses Indigita drivers, which haven't been upgrade in years.

Matt Stahley November 3rd, 2003 06:07 PM

I emailed Granite Digital they replied " I have heard that there is a utility that fixes this bug but I don't know exactly what it is. I would try MacCentral or one of the other Mac sites and see what they say." I dont edit with the drive just use it for storage so its not that big of a deal to me just more of an annoyance. Thanks for the help.

Jeff Donald November 3rd, 2003 06:14 PM

You can try Cocktail. It's shareware ($20) and can be downloded from Version Tracker. It has a never setting that seems to work on most drives (not my older, non Oxford Chipset).