DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   voice over tool (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/18323-voice-over-tool.html)

David Slingerland December 14th, 2003 10:13 AM

voice over tool

I am trying to get the voice over tool to work and it seems to work alright. it seems to record like it supposed to but does not write the track of desired lenght on the designated audiotrack. Each time I use it the track is longer or shorter and sounds very stuttery, only part of words are actually recordered on to it. It begins where i put the inpoint but does not go on to the outpoint. But the device itself does the 'recording'. I set it to DV-AUDIO (as I am recording through my canon xl1, senheiser mic in the xlr connectors) FIRST 2 CHANNELS rate 48000/tried 32000 also OFSET 3 frames...

David Slingerland December 15th, 2003 02:06 PM

nobody any idea? Neither do I...I tried the final cut help and lisa's book but troubleshooting voice over is not there...

Jeff Donald December 15th, 2003 03:58 PM

Live recording is very disk intensive. How full is your drive(s) and how much ram do you have?

David Slingerland December 15th, 2003 04:21 PM

First I get no warning.. but I have 1 gig of
ram and I write to a drive were I have still 80 gigs left...Its really bugging me as we want to use this tool to complete a project.(I put the camera on manual) I can see its recording but when I bring up the file to look at it. Its seems somehow compressed and does not have the length , but there was no indication it was going to stop early...

Jeff Donald December 15th, 2003 04:31 PM

Is the record drive the same as the system and FCP application drive? What version of FCP and OS are you using?

David Slingerland December 15th, 2003 04:33 PM

I put this request out at almost all the usergroups I know, including the one at apple, there they tell me that I shouldnt use the camea because of odd khz recordings and should go for an Usb mic..but would that be of the same quality as my expensive professional senheiser mic?

David Slingerland December 15th, 2003 04:37 PM

I guess you mean the scratch disk? well actually come to think of it part of the project is situated on an external hard disc I am using because it is an old project which came from fcp 3....
os 10.2.7 (now fcp4.0)

Jeff Donald December 15th, 2003 04:57 PM

Yes, the XL1 could be the cause, look at the properties and check the exact frequency of the clip. Not all USB adapters are low quality, but a good one will add to the expense of the project.

You might try changing your record disk to another and see if it changes anything. What speed Mac are you using?

You might want to consider upgrading to 10.2.8 and you might want to delete FCP preferences.

Your Hard Disk>Users>Your User Name>Library>Preferences Folder.
Inside the Preferences folder, com.apple.FinalCutPro.plist (move to trash).
Inside the Preferences folder find the Final Cut Pro folder and delete these two files>Final Cut Pro 4 Preference file and
Final Cut Pro v POA Cache (move to trash)

Now empty your trash. Then go to Applications>Utilities>Disk Utility and repair permissions on the startup drive. If it reports a lot of files repaired run it two or three times. Restart your computer.

Check your FCP settings, some may have reset to default settings. But they were possibly corrupt and causing your troubles.

David Slingerland December 16th, 2003 07:00 AM

thanks Jeff, It worked because I had some files on a different hard disk, I kopied them to the other one and my problems went away. But I heard you and others talk more then once about trashing fcp preferences and repairing 'permissions' . What do you mean by that? Does that mean I have to install the keys again from the cd or what? 'repair permissions on the startup drive' as you can see I am not a computer wizzard yet.

Jeff Donald December 16th, 2003 08:36 AM

The directions to trash preferences are above. The program does not need to be re-serialized, just restart the computer. Permissions repair is a function of the Disk Utility application (in the Utilities folder). You should repair permissions after installing new software or experiencing odd behavior in software or hardware.

I moved your other topic to the XL1 forum. I don't use 16:9 very much.

David Slingerland December 17th, 2003 10:50 AM

thanks Jeff. Just one more question(okay there is always one more question) FCP is able to import all 4 tracks or at least a mix of them....Can avid dvexpress-pro do the same? I think so but just need to be sure(cant check now because I do not have the program self...does this require me to change settings in avid? thanks

Jeff Donald December 17th, 2003 11:11 AM

I'm not a big Avid user any longer. Most of my experience is on Media Composer systems. However, the software looks like it may allow up to 8 channels of capture. I'm not sure what external hardware would be required to do this. It may require additional hardware like Mojo or Adrenaline.