DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   Real-time effects card for Mac G5 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/18814-real-time-effects-card-mac-g5.html)

Mark Monciardini December 25th, 2003 06:37 PM

Real-time effects card for Mac G5

I'm looking for a realtime card to put in my G5. Is there such a thing? Any recommendations?

Glenn Chan December 25th, 2003 07:03 PM

Pinnacle Cinewave.

Mark Monciardini December 26th, 2003 12:13 AM

Wow, I just looked it up and Pinnacle Cinewave is a dream setup. Is there anything a little cheaper in price?. Cinewave is going around 5k.

Glenn Chan December 26th, 2003 12:24 AM

Isn't your dual1.8mhz G5 fast enough?

Hmm maybe you can get another G5 :P

Actually, if you get some sort of PC or used Mac you can free up your G5 for some tasks. PCs are very good for making DVDs and encoding for the web and also very cheap. Macs play well with PCs so that isn't too much of a problem.

I haven't heard of anything cheaper than the Cinewave that'll work for your G5.

Mark Monciardini December 26th, 2003 02:37 AM

Thanks.

No don't get me wrong. It is fast. But there is lots of rendering that goes on to preview things. Sometimes have it just a little faster or no rendering at all can speed up work flow.

Yes it's fast, but not as fast as Apple makes it sound.

How would another G5 make things better for me? Just curious. Can I hook them both up together?

If can, then I'll buy another one. But I'm not sure how that works.

Jeff Donald December 26th, 2003 07:37 AM

Mark, how much ram do you have in your G5? Tests reports I've seen show significant improvement with large amounts ram. The two duals have a 8GB limit, but the price to max them out is in the range of the Pinnacle board.

Glenn Chan December 26th, 2003 04:00 PM

Quote:

How would another G5 make things better for me? Just curious. Can I hook them both up together?
While you're waiting around during a render or encode you can use the other computer to do something useful, like editing or another project (maybe just log and capture clips).

Some programs like After Effects can use other machines on a network to render faster. FCP doesn't do this so another computer wouldn't be helpful at all.

The only advantage to having another computer is that it lets you do something else when your main computer is tied up in a render/encode. Depending on your workflow this may not be helpful at all.

Boyd Ostroff December 26th, 2003 04:55 PM

Working on a big project last fall I used two desktop G4's and a PowerBook G4 as you describe. But this was often for something specialized, like rendering 3d animation. It also saved me when the hard drive died on one of the desktop machines since I was able to continue by using the older machine as a backup.

Depending on what you would use the additional computer for, you might get away with something used that's less expensive. Or maybe this is the time to get that laptop you've always wanted... :-)