DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   Sound passthrough in OS X? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/20025-sound-passthrough-os-x.html)

Ted Springer January 18th, 2004 09:26 PM

Sound passthrough in OS X?

I do not seem to be able to get reliable sound passthrough in OS X. Any input sound is not output to the speakers, but any sound generated by the computer itself is output just fine. I have searched the internet and this seems to be a big problem for many users. I have heard that you need to go into the Speech preferences and toggle some things, but this does not work for me. This was working for me fine just a few weeks ago, so I know it is not a hardware. On the sound input VU meters, I can see it bouncing up and down to the input sound, it just doesn't feel the need to let me hear it.

Mac OS X absolutely loves corrupted preference files. It can't live without 'em. Which prefs should I trash to fix the problem? Any word on if Apple will ever fix this huge oversight?

Jeff Donald January 19th, 2004 06:46 AM

What speakers are you using and how are they connected to your Mac?

Ted Springer January 19th, 2004 08:30 AM

Lemme see....They are Marantz (can't see the model #) but are 3 way and have 12" woofers. They are about 3 feet tall. They are in turn hooked to a Pioneer VSX 451 receiver, which is hooked to my Mac via the Line Out jack. I can hear all other sound the Mac plays (like if I play and MP3 or the computer beeps). But any sound that is input via LINE IN does not pass through to the speakers. The computer will record sound that is input, and that is the only way I can hear it (after the recording is completed). So I don't think that the hookup is the problem and the computer obviously sees the sound coming in. I've checked the Sound control panel a dozen times.

Jeff Donald January 19th, 2004 12:59 PM

Are you using FCP to record audio or another program? The speech panel should not effect audio playback, but the Sound Panel in System Preferences may effect loop through. In FCP the default is no pass through, because having the speakers on can sometimes lead to a sync problem and cause distortion. You can turn it on in FCP by creating new presets in capture. I was curious about your speakers because USB speakers are notorious for problems such as this.

Ted Springer January 19th, 2004 08:55 PM

I use my Mac to record sound effects to use in videos via any old sound recording program or just to listen to a MiniDisc while I browse the internet. In FCP I listen to audio over firewire.

But I have to use the Windows PC to record my sound effects now, as I cannot hear what I am recording until it has been recorded. Kind of defeats the purpose. It's like I don't have a full-duplex sound card, even though I know that I do. I need to be able to hear sound input to the LINE IN as it is input.