DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   G5 1.8 EOL by Apple in < 3 months (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/21445-g5-1-8-eol-apple-3-months.html)

Roy Gatling February 16th, 2004 02:35 PM

G5 1.8 EOL by Apple in < 3 months

So, how many of you were fools like me and bought a G5 1.8 as soon as it came out? I ordered mine in July, finally got it in mid-September, only to have Apple discontinue it in less than three months! I feel great! NOT!!!

I know something about how quick technology changes and platform life. I work for a PC company in the product development group.

After complaining to Apple about this, I got the standard corporate line that "technology moves quickly, and Apple aggressively pursues new technology for its customers". Thanks...

FWIW, I'm a switcher from PC to Mac, at least I was for video editing. I'll be selling my G5 and move back to Wintel. So long, Apple.

Ken Tanaka February 16th, 2004 03:43 PM

I'm curious why you (a) feel so betrayed, and (b) feel that your G5 should be abandoned. Of what consequence is it that that particular model is no longer offered? Surely if you "work for a PC company" you understand product line turnover.

Boyd Ostroff February 16th, 2004 03:43 PM

It's frustrating, I've been there too. But your point is?.... Will this "make Apple sorry"? If the machine met your needs 7 months ago when you ordered it, what has changed now? Seems like you're only compounding your loss to sell the machine so soon after paying a premium for the newest thing.

Roy Gatling February 16th, 2004 04:03 PM

Guys,
I definitely understand product line turnover, that's why I'm upset. It is highly irregular to end the life of a system in less than 3 months after it's released. The 1.8 is no different (in Apple's eyes) than the G4. Maybe I'm alone in this, but I think it's wrong.

Ken Tanaka February 16th, 2004 04:10 PM

So your actions are a matter of protest of principal rather than product performance?

Did you actually do any video editing work with the system and learn OSX?

Roy Gatling February 16th, 2004 04:17 PM

Ken,
Yes, I edited a short film in December. Along with the G5, I purchased FCP 4 and DVD Studio Pro.

Will I really sell the system? Probably not anytime soon. It's stable and does the job. I'm just upset with Apple...

Andrew Hogan February 16th, 2004 04:41 PM

Roy, Don't feel bad. I bought a G4 DP800 in July 2001 it was the fastest Mac made at the time and it was one of the first in Australia. With a 17" studio display it cost me $9000 Australian. I use it mostly for FCP and DVDSP and photoshop. It still works great, well even better actually with the upgrades to FCP3 then to FCP4, DVDSP 2.0 etc. Software was one of my main reasons to move to the Apple world.
If I went to sell my G4 I wouldn't get much money for it that's true, but I use it most days and still get a big kick out of it. It still does the job and I won't need to upgrade it for some time yet. Maybe I'll get a new Mac when I upgrade my cameras to HD 16x9 format. Untill then smile, you have a great computer and great software!

Jeff Donald February 16th, 2004 04:56 PM

I know how you feel Roy. Why just last year (2003) I bought a new car. For what I paid you could buy 6 or 7 new G5 systems. You know what? They came out with a new model in August. Geez who would have ever thought that they could update a car that cost so much, so quick. I mean the nerve of GM. It's not even a year old and it's been replaced. What do they expect me to do, buy a new car every year or two? How can I ever drive back and forth to school in an old model car?

I bought a dual processor G4 right after Christmas 2001. A few weeks later it was replaced. It had been out a total of 6 months. I still use it today to edit. I have no regrets. It still does today everything I bought it for. Just like my car.