DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   It's that time again: 10.5.7 is here (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/235362-its-time-again-10-5-7-here.html)

Robert Lane May 14th, 2009 02:54 PM

It's that time again: 10.5.7 is here

10.5.7 has been released. As always backup your OS before installing the update (the guide for doing this is a sticky) and by all means do NOT run the update in the middle of any unfinished FCP projects; complete your project and make a full backup prior to updating.

Shaun Roemich May 14th, 2009 04:55 PM

Thanks for the reminder Robert.

Getting ready to do an FCP/QT update as soon as I get the last bit of the current project out... Haven't been able to do that for 14 months!

Nate Haustein May 14th, 2009 08:14 PM

Just did it. Everything still seems to work fine...

Took two restarts though, one after the install, and another after FCP didn't feel like opening! :-/

Robert Lane May 14th, 2009 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nate Haustein (Post 1143235)
Just did it. Everything still seems to work fine...

Took two restarts though, one after the install, and another after FCP didn't feel like opening! :-/

Be sure you do a full routine of maintenance after a big update like this: repair permissions and other maintenance tasks that apps like Onyx can do for you.

Christopher Drews May 14th, 2009 10:09 PM

Anyone else notice that spotlight no longer indexes for hours in 10.5.7? This was a major headache for me in 10.5.6 - good work Apple!

-C

Robert Lane May 15th, 2009 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christopher Drews (Post 1143266)
Anyone else notice that spotlight no longer indexes for hours in 10.5.7? This was a major headache for me in 10.5.6 - good work Apple!

-C

I'm not sure if ".7" made any changes there (no mention of it in the release notes) but you can stop Spotlight from it's indexing routines (highly recommended) on any Mac OS:

Spotless 2 information page

Carlos Viteri May 15th, 2009 07:58 AM

OSX 10.5.7 takes care of a lot of security issues

Since more people are switching to Mac. It's only natural that more people will try to install viruses for the OSX operating system.

Jiri Fiala May 16th, 2009 05:14 PM

I have noticed substantially lower CPU usage while idle. If iStat is not mistaken, it was around 5-10 pct per core in 10.5.6, now it is 1-3 pct per core in 10.5.7.

Christopher Drews May 17th, 2009 01:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jiri Fiala (Post 1144091)
I have noticed substantially lower CPU usage while idle. If iStat is not mistaken, it was around 5-10 pct per core in 10.5.6, now it is 1-3 pct per core in 10.5.7.

iStat Pro says the same for me- Although maybe iSlayer needs an update for 10.5.7.

-C

Boyd Ostroff May 17th, 2009 03:48 PM

It had been months since I installed any software updates on my MacBook Pro, so this afternoon I figured I could take the time. Just finished the installation a couple minutes ago - it's a huge download. Everything seems to be ok so far.

I don't use FCP much on this machine now, so hopefully by the time I do need it they will have shaken out any bugs. My editing machine is a 24" iMac, and I don't even have it plugged into the network. If it ain't broke...

David Knaggs May 17th, 2009 09:58 PM

The new update solved a number of bugs I was having

Robert gives good advice about not updating while in the middle of a project but, funnily enough, I wasn't able to export a project through Compressor (plus lots of other weird and wonderful things going on with the computer). After much diagnostics and bug chasing - all unsuccessful - I thought, "What the heck!" and decided to do the OS update.

Everything is now running perfectly again (after the update) and exporting successfully through Compressor.

I can only assume that the various bugs I'd been gradually encountering (which, now that I think about it, started manifesting soon after the previous OS update) are part of why Apple found it necessary to do the OS 10.5.7 update!

Andy Wilkinson May 18th, 2009 03:43 AM

Updated my mid-2008 MBP that was on 10.5.6 with no problems at all (so far). Too early to tell if it's improved stability etc. but so far so good/everything seems fine...