DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   Getting a DVD file to FCP (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/237599-getting-dvd-file-fcp.html)

Brandon Carter June 18th, 2009 03:53 PM

Getting a DVD file to FCP

I have a commercial that was sent to me on DVD rather than DV tape. How do I capture the dvd to fcp for insertion into my time line? Thanks.

Mike Barber June 18th, 2009 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brandon Carter (Post 1160384)
I have a commercial that was sent to me on DVD rather than DV tape. How do I capture the dvd to fcp for insertion into my time line? Thanks.

This very question has been posted here numerous times. I politely suggest that, in the future, you try searching the forums first. Avoiding repetitive posts will help keep the site both organized and interesting.

That said, grab MPEG Streamclip and use it to capture your footage to whatever codec and format you want to use for your timeline.

Shaun Roemich June 19th, 2009 07:38 AM

What Mike said. Twice.

Ben Longden June 19th, 2009 11:32 PM

Fair go.... its often a helluva lot quicker to simply ask than spend hours trawling with the search function.

Another way is to copy the .vob files to the desktop, rename the extension to .mpg and then insert into the timeline.

Ben

Shaun Roemich June 20th, 2009 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ben Longden (Post 1161013)
Fair go.... its often a helluva lot quicker to simply ask than spend hours trawling with the search function.

It's also not exactly fair to those of us who have chimed in on a topic and given very insightful and valuable advice. You are the one with the question, I'm the one with the answer. Which one of us should be spending the time: the person who is willing to share information that may come from many years of experience or a very expensive education OR the person who doesn't know the answer for something and wants a quick fix?

THAT is why we recommend the search function. This Forum is a GREAT WEALTH of info but to be fair to those that offer up what they know, it's only fair to spend a couple of minutes looking first.

Todd Giglio June 20th, 2009 09:50 AM

You can also try this program:

Product - DVDxDV: rip DVD video to Quicktime, for Final Cut Pro, Avid, iMovie, iDVD, iPod, iPhone, and Apple TV

Todd

a note: This program is obviously intended for legal rips of dvd's (such as you are suggestion).

Nigel Barker June 20th, 2009 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaun Roemich (Post 1161095)
It's also not exactly fair to those of us who have chimed in on a topic and given very insightful and valuable advice. You are the one with the question, I'm the one with the answer. Which one of us should be spending the time: the person who is willing to share information that may come from many years of experience or a very expensive education OR the person who doesn't know the answer for something and wants a quick fix?

Shaun, you might want to tone down the grumpiness. Ben Longden from Australia who you replied to did not pose the original question which came from Brandon Carter from Louisiana. Ben like you also supplied an answer to the OP.

I too will add an answer. Use Handbrake to rip the DVD to whatever file format suits the FCP project.

Shaun Roemich June 20th, 2009 11:27 AM

Nigel: sorry if my use of "you" and "I" was misunderstood. I would have used the terms "one" poses a question and the "other" answers if I had made the syntax work. I was fully aware that Ben was not the OP. The base of my response remains accurate though: to use the "argument" that the time of the person ASKING the question is more important than those who are willing to help is ludicrous.

As well, it is helpful to have ALL responses to a question appear in as few threads as possible to allow future "searchers" to find the most available information in one thread as possible.

Hope this helps.

Cole McDonald June 21st, 2009 05:07 PM

If you can get hold of the original content again in a higher quality format you may want to do that instead (as there's some fairly extensive compression done to fit video onto the DVD).

I second Handbrake as a great tool for DVD to video file converters for the mac.

Robert Lane June 21st, 2009 10:23 PM

MPEG Streamclip is by far a more robust and well thought-out application and can output to any Quicktime codec that is installed on your system. Considering both Handbrake and MPEGSC are free apps you'd be silly not to use the latter.