DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   Audio Sync problems - FCP -> Compressor -> DVDSP (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/237704-audio-sync-problems-fcp-compressor-dvdsp.html)

Ryan Hansen June 20th, 2009 10:34 PM

Audio Sync problems - FCP -> Compressor -> DVDSP

Ok, So I'm completely lost on this one, I've been scanning forums for the last few days but haven't managed to find the one with the answer...

My sequence is going from FCP via compressor to DVDSP. I run into audio sync problems when i burn or preview in DVDSP, its not overtime as most people say. the whole clip is out. Both compressor's preview and FCP show the audio perfect (i think they may read the same thing anyway...?)

Anyone who has had this issue - what have you done to fix it? its driving me up the wall!!!

Details:
FCP - Pal DV 16:9 25fps
Compressor - DVD Best quality for 150min (MPEG-2 3.7mbs 2pass)
+ Dolby Digital 2.0 @ 192kbs

thanks
Ryan

Robert Lane June 21st, 2009 12:09 PM

Depending on the type of system resources you have it's not uncommon for the audio to lag behind in DVDSP4 preview, which is designed for layout preview purposes not for audio scrubbing.

Have you actually burned a test disk and played that back on a DVD player? If you have audio issues there then you've got another problem going on. Let us know.

Ryan Hansen June 21st, 2009 03:43 PM

Thanks for that, i'll give it ago

a thought came to me last night, that was when i first captured and imported the footage into FCP it was out of sync, so after processing it in STP I tweaked it to the right place - could it have been FCP that was off and i've actually made it off by correcting it? if that makes sense....?

Ryan Hansen June 21st, 2009 08:22 PM

so, I've had another look though my stuff, and I think it might be FCP,

I can preview the captured footage in the finder and its sweet, yet when i play it back in FCP its out of sync? The project is a multi-cam shoot so its over 3 different cameras (1 JVC GY-HD111 and 2 canon XH-A1)

anyone any ideas? Playback is through my headphones out of my mac and an external monitor

cheers

William Hohauser June 21st, 2009 10:44 PM

Depending on your set up, there might be a lag between the video on the external monitor and the audio coming out of the headphones. FireWire D>A devices (cameras included) put a frame or two delay in the video and audio by the time it gets out of the device. This is noticeable when playing off the timeline, "print to video" doesn't have this problem as the FCP computer preview seems to have the delay built into the computer screen playback. Listen to the audio coming out of your FireWire device thru an external amp or by headphones thru a mixer.

Ryan Hansen June 21st, 2009 11:30 PM

Thanks William

Ive just had a listen, but its just as bad. audio is about 1/2 a second ahead of video (probably should have mentioned that before.... oops) - to add to that when i open the raw footage in quicktime or finder it is fine.

William Hohauser June 22nd, 2009 10:48 AM

Where is the audio coming from? One of the cameras? 1/2 second is 12.5 frames in PAL and that's a big sync issue. Check how the timeline is set-up. Does the problem only happen in multiclip? Do the individual clips play in sync with their own audio in FCP? Drop one on the timeline and see. Unlink the audio on the multiclip and shift it 12 or 13 frames. Does that work?

Ryan Hansen June 22nd, 2009 03:49 PM

I Trashed the FCP prefrences and its alot better. Now its only out by 5 or so frames.

I've checked all my squence settings and tried differnet combos of audio and video, even creating a new project and using the raw footage there, but still out by 5 frames.

I should mention its AHEAD of the video, does this make any difference or sense? Its the same with both my external monitor and my preview.

Thanks
Ryan

William Hohauser June 22nd, 2009 04:42 PM

How are you getting the video to the external monitor? Perhaps the FireWire device you are using is defective. Turn off the external video in the View menu. Is it out of sync in the FCP desktop? If it is, there might be something wrong with your drive set up.

Ryan Hansen June 23rd, 2009 10:18 PM

thanks for your help, i trashed the FCP prefs and it seem fine now.....

Michael Liebergot June 24th, 2009 08:35 AM

I had a similar problem a few months ago.

Like you the previewed footage in the trimmer was synced perfectly, but once the footage was added to the timeline, the audio went out of sync by about 6 frames.

Like you, once I trashed the FCP preferences and let them rebuild, all was fine.

Ryan Hansen June 24th, 2009 08:14 PM

Yea i read on here somewhere that if random, unexplainable stupid things start happening that shouldn't, trash your prefs first....!

I'll remember that one every time now