DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   Lost harddisk, please help me...This is important. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/24048-lost-harddisk-please-help-me-important.html)

Christian Hede Madsen April 12th, 2004 03:14 AM

Well´finally I got my HD too work... at least I thougt so.

When I opened Final Cut Pro and wanted to do a print to video it froze.
There was nothing to do and when I restarted it I had the same problem with my disk...it was lost...

Can I do something about my final cut problem?

chr

Christian Hede Madsen April 12th, 2004 03:16 AM

-and my HD...it is a bit annoying...

Josh Brusin April 12th, 2004 01:35 PM

when you have specific application issues a search on google is a great 1st step. If you're having a problem 99% of the time others have as well. Try searching for +"final cut" +"print to video" +freeze or +crash or +problem...
works for any other issues as well...
g'luck

Patricia Kim April 12th, 2004 02:27 PM

Try the Apple fora - apple/support/discussions - for possible insights. I'm tempted, based on no experience with FCP but with iMovie, to ask about how much disk space and memory you have on your internal hard drive, because that has always proven to be the main bottleneck re working with video editing - with the result that I tend to try to keep my system pretty clean and even disconnect speakers, turn off the internet connection, etc., while using A/V software. But that might not be the problem at all for you. Very frustrating, so I hope the Apple fora can help you out a bit.

Christian Hede Madsen April 13th, 2004 01:44 PM

I have 210GB so space is not a problem... thanks for the suggestion with the "apple-place"...I will try it...

I will get back to you all...

Jim Quinlan April 14th, 2004 01:18 PM

This is a method someone told me about several years ago. I used it once on a HD of mine (on a PC) that was going bad. Put the drive in a freezer for an hour or so and then try it. In my case, it worked and I was able to get the critical data off that I needed.

Christian Hede Madsen April 14th, 2004 01:31 PM

Ok...I will maybe try this...Can you tell me why it should work?

Jim Quinlan April 14th, 2004 04:58 PM

Making the drive very cold will contract the surfaces and that can sometimes make a difference in the way the drive spins or reads the platters.

It's unconventional but sometimes can work.

Don Berube April 14th, 2004 05:36 PM

Waitaminute,,, I thought his hard drive had already 'froze' haw

Christian, would you mind telling us why you are not taking advantage of your LaCie warranty and contacting LaCie for assistance? Does placing your hard drive in a freezer really seem to be a more realistic solution to you than taking advantage of LaCie's Tech Support?

???

Hellooooo???

- don

Christian Hede Madsen April 15th, 2004 01:32 AM

Well, I got the disk a long time ago( about 2.5 years) and I dont have the warranty, i got the disk as a present; it just stood there...plugged in and all...But I will try to ask for the warranty...
...Also I live on a very small island with no data-shops so I just cant drop it off somewhere...but I will see...

get back to you....

Brian Pink April 15th, 2004 07:50 AM

i've been having problems lately with hard drive mechanisms that take heavy use. the drive will start making the clicking/grinding of death. christian, i'm not sure if you've heard any noises like this, but if you have, a drive recovery service is your only real bet. if you haven't, chances are good that one of the solutions listed above with allow you to access the drive.

mirror your data!!! i have learned this lesson the hard way.