DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   NLE Mac / Final Cut questions from 2004 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/24621-nle-mac-final-cut-questions-2004-a.html)

Jeff Donald February 24th, 2004 07:19 AM

The G5's are not brand new machines when thought of as using high technology that is in a constant state of change. The G5's were introduced in June of 2003. The first G5 (single processor 1.8GHz) was discontinued 5 months later. The current G5's are expected to be replaced within the next month or so. Major upgrades to Panther are expected at the same time.

Michael Albert February 24th, 2004 08:11 AM

Monitor set-up with FCP

I am using FCP with a G5 and I am going to be connecting two standard computer monitors to my system. I will also be connecting a broadcast quality JVC monitor and I am getting a lot of conflicting information as to how to connect the JVC to my G5. Do I need to connect it through my DVX-100A as the FCP manual states? or is there a direct connection/card etc for the G5?

Many thanks.

Rob Zeigler February 24th, 2004 08:55 AM

Rich,

To answer your monitor question...

The simple and quick answer as to why most editors use two monitors is because of screen real estate, or space. When you open your timeline, your viewer, your browser, and any other new windows in <Insert Your Favorite Editing Program Here>, things can get pretty crowded on just one screen.

Having the ability to move windows around and onto a completely separate monitor will create a comfortable and organized workspace that will probably help your workflow.

Vic Owen February 24th, 2004 09:36 AM

The most common connection is via the video out jack on your camera, or preferably, an external deck.

Kirk Messner February 24th, 2004 12:32 PM

DVD's & AC3 Audio ?

I'm wondering if all DVD's use the AC3 audio format ? I have QT Pro 6.5, and just bought the MPEG-2 Playback Component because it was "capable" of playing VOB's. Of course it isn't much use now that I've found out it doesn't support AC3 audio. Thanks !

Kirk

Vic Owen February 24th, 2004 05:56 PM

If you're burning your own, you can write either AC-3 or AIFF. The advantage to AC-3 is that it has a lower bit rate and you can put more video on a DVD at a higher bit rate.

See this article: http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage..._warmouth.html

Steve Nunez February 24th, 2004 07:54 PM

ND Filter in post using FCP4 ?

I have some rather nice clips that should have been shot using an ND filter- is there a way to tone down blown-out highlights or areas of over-exposure in post using FCP4?

Drew McElvain February 24th, 2004 08:08 PM

audio waver in FCP4 after render

Hi,
I am working on a project in which there are multiple songs playing. some of the Songs I got for mp3s some from cds, all but 1 sond fine. There is one slow motion sequence in which I have put an mp3 over and this is the only place in the project that says the audio requires rendering. After being rendered there are strage blips and wavers in the song, it isn't constant but sounds quite anoying. I am using FCP 4 on an 876 mhz PB G4 running OS 10.2.8, 768mb of RAM and editing off a firewire maxtor hard drive. Can anyone help me with fixing this?

Thanks,
Drew

Jeff Donald February 24th, 2004 09:34 PM

MP3's need to be converted (I use QuickTime) to AIFF files before use in FCP. When do the conversion make sure the audio settings match your project settings.

Ted Springer February 25th, 2004 12:15 AM

You can also do 5.1 channel audio with AC3, which most professional DVDs have. Stereo is soooo "yesterday". Step up to 5.1, folks. Give your audience a treat.

Ted Springer February 25th, 2004 12:18 AM

Nope. Just like distorted audio, once it's gone, it's gone. You can lower the brightness, but the blown out areas will still be blown out.

You can try rendering some CG to fill in the blown out areas. :)

Jeff Johnson February 25th, 2004 11:41 AM

Text and title preference, FCP or LType?

Just wondering how most liked to use each aspect of each program with regards to titles and text-

Jeff

Jeff Johnson February 25th, 2004 11:44 AM

Scrolling text speed controlled by clip length, right?

Don't seem to see any adjustments in the controls tab or anywhere else for he speed of the scroll. Am I corrrect in that in depends on the length of the clip?

Just curious if there was a way to dial in an exact speed since I have read that by setting the speed at certain intervals (even/odd numbers) you can reduce flickering. I've certainly noticed that scrolling text looks very different depending on the speed-

Jeff

Ken Tanaka February 25th, 2004 12:01 PM

What editor are you using?

Also, what facility in the editor are you using for your text?

Rob Lohman February 25th, 2004 03:41 PM

AIFF is not a DVD compatible format. Perhaps your DVD authoring
package accepts it, but the current list of supported formats are:

- PCM
- MPEG audio
- AC3 Dolby Digital
- dts

All can be stereo or multi channel surround.

See the DVD FAQ for more info...