DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   NLE Mac / Final Cut questions from 2004 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/24621-nle-mac-final-cut-questions-2004-a.html)

Joshua Kopple January 23rd, 2004 01:02 AM

Umm, that was quick. Did I blink and miss it?

So I went into Disk Utility and the 160 gig hard drive showed like this:

149.05 GB WDC
Media

"Media" being the name and there being no partitions on the drive. So I clicked on "Media" and went to Erase. It was in "Extended" format already and after having read, "http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage/mac_not_mother.html" I kept it that way - on Mac OS Extended. I hit Erase and it cleared everything in a matter of about 5 seconds.

Being raised on a PC, that felt too quick. Should I have highlighted the "149.05 GB WDC" and hit erase there or am I just being paranoid? I checked the drive and indeed, it was all gone...

Joshua

Shawn Mielke January 23rd, 2004 01:43 AM

minor Setups question

What is the difference between the Setups

DV-NTSC
and
DV-NTSC 48 kHz-FW Basic?

Thanks,
Shawn

Jeff Donald January 23rd, 2004 05:09 AM

I just writes a new directory that ignores all the old files, so it looks empty. When you start capturing to the drive it overwrites the old files. If you want to format the drive (write zeros and ones) that will take hours.

Michiel van der Zeeuw January 23rd, 2004 10:37 AM

clip appearance when FCP3 --> FCP4

Just upgraded to FCP4, everything works fine, even the FCP3 project that I have to finish was imported without problems (quite a relief that...)
I noticed though that there is a difference between some clips' display in the bins: some have the standard appeareance, others have jagged edges.
Both types of clip play ok though, have looked in the manual but couldn't find out what this is. No differences in clips when I go to "item properties".
Not really a problem, but I would like to know what this means. Btw I've only opened a FCP3 project so far.
thx in advance
Michiel
(I wanted to attach a picture of a screen grab but can't attach anything to this message. If you want to help but don't know what I'm talking about send me an email and I'll send the screengrab over)
vanderzeeuw@planet.nl

Ignacio Rodriguez January 24th, 2004 11:05 AM

Help! Low quality DV preview in FCP4 after trashing prefs. Fix?

Hi all, if anybody can please help me out with this...

A few days ago I took my PB to a friend's so we could rescue a project and print it to video (his boot HD had died). We were able to boot off my PB as a FW drive and print his project, a great lifesaver... we could never have got away with something like that on PCs. Anyway, after getting back home my FCP4 would ask me for his disks, and there seemed no way of reconfiguring my setup so I trashed some FCP preferences files (don't remember exactly which). Now, everything works as usual BUT i am dropping frames and seeing something like half-res, half-frame rate video previewed over firewire. I don't want to have to reinstall everything, but I will as a last resort. Does anybody have a clue about what might be going on? Of course I stupidly did not save a backup of the files I trashed. Any other solution before resintalling the whole thing? Thanks...

Jeff Donald January 24th, 2004 04:12 PM

Re-install if you don't know what you trashed. Just trashing preferences won't do what you say. When you restart after trashing the preferences (and emptying the trash) FCP recreates new preferences, using the default settings. You probably trashed a file other than the preferences.

Ignacio Rodriguez January 24th, 2004 09:43 PM

> When you restart after trashing the preferences
> (and emptying the trash) FCP recreates new preferences,
> using the default settings.

Oh it did. It just seems that when determening the defaults for this machine something when wrong, it's as if FCP were set up to run on a much slower computer.

Jeff Donald January 24th, 2004 10:02 PM

If you think you only trashed the preferences, then do it again and see if the results are the same.

Rob Lohman January 25th, 2004 08:46 AM

DV-NTSC is 12 bit 32 kHz instead of the 48 kHz for the other?
On my NLE [pc] the difference between the presets is listed so
you can see for yourself.

Rob Lohman January 25th, 2004 08:56 AM

Michiel, you can't attach files within these boards indeed. If you
want I can host a screengrab for you at my site. Shoot me an
e-mail at visuar@iname.com

John Locke January 25th, 2004 09:07 AM

Michiel,

Go ahead and send me the screengrab and I'll see if I can help you out. If not, I'll share it with some of the other Mac wranglers... between all of us, we'll track it down probably.

John Locke January 25th, 2004 09:10 AM

Three-way split screen in FCP?

I'm weighing different ideas on how to split the screen with three vertical images (a three-way phone conversation showing all the people at the same time)... and I'm sure there are more ways than that.

Anyone have any input on what would be the best way to do this in FCP?

Rob Lohman January 25th, 2004 09:47 AM

I've put the screengrab up for all to see: www.visuar.com/DVi/zeeuw.jpg

Glenn Chan January 25th, 2004 11:10 AM

Some cameras use the "firewire basic" protocol instead of firewire. All Sonys are firewire, most Canons are firewire basic.

http://www.apple.com/finalcutpro/qualification.html <-- check there.

Also check that the capture settings match your camera footage. 32khz audio sampling rate corresponds to 12bit on your camera, and 48khz to 16bit. You should set your camera to record 16bit unless you can't or want to record 4 channels on a XL1s. If your footage is already 12bit (in the camera) then capture using 32khz.

Glenn Chan January 25th, 2004 11:12 AM

FCP3 captures clips differently than FCP4, maybe the jagged edge is to indicate the difference? That's my wild guess.

Michiel van der Zeeuw January 25th, 2004 11:24 AM

nope both clips come from FCP3, from the same tape even. They were captured in one run on the same machine.

Charles Papert January 25th, 2004 02:58 PM

Three video layers, each with a simple matte layed in to create the proper shape, and probably position adjusted left and right to place the faces in the right spots. My guess is that it would be far harder to coordinate the timing of the dialogue amongst three people. The easiest way would be have an actual a three way phone conversation, which would require three simultaneous camera setups. Otherwise you are looking at possibly mis-timing of the dialogue--it's a bitch.

Charles Papert January 26th, 2004 07:22 PM

FCP4 Color correction--advanced question

Hi folks:

I'm doing some multi-filter 3-way color corrects, and when I attempt to do a "limit effect" layer that focuses on a particular color/section of the frame, I am able to see the changes on a still frame and in a preview version, but upon rendering, the limit effect is not showing up. The other color correction filters that don't involve limits do still work. I'm just baffled on this one. Thoughts? Clarifications needed?

Ignacio Rodriguez January 26th, 2004 09:13 PM

Fixed.

I fixed it. What happened was that for some weird reason FCP reverted to the DC30 driver for handling DV... so it was sooo slooow because there is no DC30 card in my system...

Easily fixed with a few clicks in the right place.

Thanks for the suggestions and keep up the great work This is such a nice place.

Charles Papert January 26th, 2004 10:02 PM

Aha and oho. My editing guru (who is, damn his talented soul, all of 21) just stopped by and pointed out that I needed to switch from Unlimited RT to Safe RT, even when looking at still frames. Apparently Unlimited is only an approximation of the final effect, so I was dialing in a look based on a non-accurate preview. Well geez, maybe if I had a sexy G5 under my desk instead of that oh-so-passe dual 1gHz G4...!

Stefano Sarfati Nahmad January 27th, 2004 08:38 AM

best fcp4 tutorial ?

Hello everyone,
I started out using imovie but i really need to have more.
Can anyone suggest me a good tutorial book that's complete and easy to use ?

and also: what mac do you suggest ?
I thought to get an iMac, 1gb ram, 160 GB int. HD
What do you think? is the G5 a must? is ext. HD a must?

thanks for your help.
stefano

Mickey Stroud January 27th, 2004 09:47 AM

I am reading and really like Jerry Hoffman on FCP. The DVD has some beautiful footage and excellent exercises that makes the tutorials a joy to edit. He also gives incite into his editorial thinking and the "whys" not just the "how to."

My other favorite is Editing Techniques with Final Cut Pro by Michael Wohl.

As for the computer. The bigger, faster the better. Is a G5 essential? No. Does it make editing easier and faster? For sure.

Enjoy the journey.

Mickey Stroud

Glenn Chan January 27th, 2004 03:06 PM

A G4 tower would be nice for a few reasons:
dual processors (2nd processor lowers render time by ~70%)
easy to install RAM
can install internal hard drives, which are cheaper and better than FW
can drive dual monitors (dual monitors are cheaper than one big one)

The G5 1.6ghz is a bit underwhelming in my opinion. Probably get a reburbished G4 off http://www.smalldog.com or maybe eBay (if you trust eBay). Installing your RAM is usually half the cost of Apple-installed RAM and very easy to do. www.crucial.com is one place to get RAM.

You can buy many of the FCP training products off the lafcpug.org store, possibly at a discount. The forum there is excellent btw.

Kevin Burnfield January 27th, 2004 05:53 PM

There are a couple of good books and videos out there.

EDITING TECHNIQUES WITH FINAL CUT PRO is a great book because it is from the point of view of an editor so he talks about editing first and only in the second part of the book does he get into the 'how to do that in FCP'.

I like Jerry's stuff too.

Final Cut Pro 3 Editing Workshop by Tom Wolsky is good too. even if you find the one for FCP 2 on Half.com or eBay cheap buy it

that also goes if you can find any training videos or CDs off eBay (like the POWERSTART series) buy them if the price is right. Even if it's for FCP 3 it will give you good information and teach you the basics which do not change.

Same goes for FCP 3 books.... you need the basics down first.

I would not recommend the Visual Quickpro book for beginners at all. It's a reference, not a book to teach you.

I was lucky enough to watch the INSIDE FCP 4 dvd at a client's shop recently and it's pretty good but the price is steep.

Kyle Baker January 28th, 2004 08:52 AM

unable to initialize video device?

a week ago I was doing fine. Now Final cut is telling me my camera is not turned on when it's firewired and on and all that other good stuff.... whats up with this? I need to get some work done and the NLVE gremlins are pullin my hardware apart....

Lisa Sedlak January 28th, 2004 09:01 AM

I assuming that you plugged the camera in before opening FCP? That is usually my problem.

Try trashing the FCP preferences and then restarting FCP.

If that does not work, do you have another deck or camera to try on that firewire drive? I have had my firewire on a G4 go screwy on me and not work. I had to add more firewire ports.

Joe Gioielli January 28th, 2004 10:16 AM

System Choice Question

The time has now come for me to make a choice. I am going to take a class and I must chose between Avid and FCP. I realize this is a hot topic and I am not trying to make trouble. I am totally green and have no opinion. I am also not what you would call a computer guy. I am totally open to all thoughts.

My intention is do this as a part time job, so I am concerned about which system will give my future customers confidence. (Apple offers a "Certification" title if I pass a test. Would somethinglike that be a intangable asset to my future production busines or just a waste of $150)

Is there a great difference in hardware costs?

Flexability is also a factor, as I have no idea if I'll be doing corporate training, indie films, or music videos.

I guess I want to know how you came to choice FCP.

More questions than answers. Thanks for any help you can give.

--Chris please note-I'm going to post this, reworded, on the Avid forum as well to get the Avid POV. If this is a bad idea, please remove it or do what ever you think is best ;-) --

Jeff Donald January 28th, 2004 10:58 AM

It could be a bad cable, try swapping cables.

Paul St. Denis January 28th, 2004 08:13 PM

What nobody edits in offlineRT? Any help would be appreciated.

Chris Staab January 29th, 2004 12:29 AM

Audio pops.

I have a great Mac system pushing Avid Express DV. The only problem I have is when I am digitizing long clips of video/ audio (or long clips of video/ audio are playing) the sound begins to pop violently. The audio does not digitize with the popping sound, it only happens during playback. I am using the USB soundsticks and I have heard that may be the problem. Anyone have any insight on this REALLY annoying problem???

Neo Castillo January 29th, 2004 05:23 PM

Try this

This might not be the only answer, but it was the first thing that came to mind. Save the sequence as a offlinert the recapture all thee needed file from the source tapes. It will take less work on your part. Just like RONCO, Set It and Forget It.

Neo Castillo January 29th, 2004 07:30 PM

Wide Screen in FCP4

I was wondering if anyone knows a way to export a finished movie so that it is cropped in 16:9, or whatever aspect ratio i choose, instead of using the "black bars" option? And if someone does, could you let me know how much i would have to crop for the the populat formats like 16:9 or "theatrical"?

J. Clayton Stansberry January 29th, 2004 08:18 PM

Blurry? Loss of Quality?

I have been working on a project which consists mostly of scanned articles and pictures. When I stop the video, and look on my monitor (regular TV) everything is extremely clear and readable. However, when I hit the ol' space bar, the picture or article looses quality, severly. The articles are unreadable and the pictures look a little blurry. I am running FCP 4 on a dual G5 out to my DV camcorder to my VCR which goes to the TV. I can't figure out if I am not doing something in FCP or there is just a loss in quality from the computer through the other peripherals to the TV? Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance...

Clay

Jeff Donald January 29th, 2004 08:30 PM

I think you're seeing the difference between interlaced and non-interlaced images. You could also be having a resolution issue. It sounds like you created the images with a scanner. You might want to check this tutorial for help with your project.

Marco Leavitt January 29th, 2004 09:31 PM

I've noticed this too with scanned images. I've always wondered why there would be a difference. Interlaced or not, a still image is a still image, isn't it?

Nicholi Brossia January 29th, 2004 09:38 PM

I am unsure of exactly what you're exporting to, but it sounds like you're trying to create a .mov with Quicktime. One approach would be to change the overall dimensions rather than cropping. This would be similar to anamorphic in that the edited video would be stretched vertically on the 4:3 frame. However, when exporting, you could "unstretch" the video the 16:9 size of your choice.
If you've cropped the frame in FCP to look like 16:9, just stretch the video vertically to fill the entire frame or until the black disappears. This result can then be exported as an 855x480 file (or any other variation of 16:9), which will create a proportioned 16:9 ratio video.
For future calculations, multiply your desired height by 1.78 to get the proportionate 16:9 width.

Stefano Sarfati Nahmad January 30th, 2004 04:34 AM

4 channel sound with FCP

Hello everybody,
My Canon Xl1s supports 4 channels sound recording.
Does Final Cut Pro support that? does i t take any special hw on the mac?
Thanks, Stefano

Jeff Donald January 30th, 2004 06:53 AM

FCP 4 can record 4 channels of audio. You can change from 2 channel to 4 channel audio in the capture preferences. However, XL1 4 channel audio is of significantly lower quality.

Rob Lohman January 30th, 2004 08:24 AM

That is usually the sign of bad drivers for the audio card you
are using [whether it's builtin, a card or an external device as in
your case]. Try to get the latest drivers or otherwise it might be
time to get another card.

J. Clayton Stansberry January 30th, 2004 11:39 AM

Well, I still don't understand it all. I also thought it was a resolution issue, so I got the camcorder out and shot the articles that way. There is better resolution this way, but there is still loss of quality (resolution) when it is played as oppossed to when it is stopped, and I just can't figure it out. Anyone?