DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   Dual Video Monitor Question (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/26673-dual-video-monitor-question.html)

Paul Vlachos May 27th, 2004 11:59 PM

Dual Video Monitor Question

This may seem simple, but I don't know the answer, so I have to ask.

I run FCP on a powermac hooked up to an Apple Cinema 20" Display. My timeline and the rest of the FCP interface, in fact, reside there.

At the same time, via my DSR-11, I usually view the canvas window on an external Sony video monitor.

I wanted to know if it's possible to have the FCP viewer window in ONE external video monitor and the canvas window in ANOTHER external video monitor.

If it is possible, how would I hook it up and what prefs would I need to check off?

Thanks for your advice.

Paul

Boyd Ostroff May 28th, 2004 07:01 AM

You will need something to plug the second monitor into. Some of the Macs have video cards that already support two monitors, see if yours does. Depending on the Mac and the monitor, you might need a VGA to ADC adaptor to connect it. Otherwise you would need a PCI video card to put into an empty slot. Have not checked recently, but a couple years ago I got a Radeon 7000 Mac Edition card for this purpose, which was one of the only Mac PCI cards available. If you do buy a card make sure it's the Mac and not the Windows version, and make sure it can work in a PCI slot instead of AGP.

Once you are hooked up you can choose the desired resolution and desktop arrangement on your two screen via the monitors control panel in System Preferences. You won't need to do anything special in FCP, the second monitor will just serve as an extension of your desktop and you can drag any windows or palletes that you want there.

Paul Vlachos May 28th, 2004 09:54 AM

Thanks for the answer, but I hadn't meant *computer* monitors. I'm talking about external video monitors. I can monitor what's going on now in my viewer window on one monitor - which is connected to my DSR-11 through standard RCA connectors. I want to add a second monitor to view what's going on in the canvas window.

I do not want to do this on computer monitors.

Is there a way?

Ken Tanaka May 28th, 2004 11:07 AM

Paul,
I think our confusion stems from nomenclature.

The FCP panels (timeline, bins, viewer, canvas) are computer-based displays. If I understand you correctly ("...I usually view the canvas window on an external Sony video monitor.") you viewing the canvas panel on a Sony production monitor (television) through your DSR11 deck?

It's more common, and useful, to use a production monitor (television) to view the actual footage from the timeline or viewer. This is normally displayed in the canvas panel as you work but that version is not the true color space of the footage. It's also common to use a second COMPUTER monitor to display the FCP workspace.

So, am I correct that your actual goal is to use two COMPUTER monitors attached to your Mac to spread-out the FCP work space and that you'd like to be able to view footage on a production monitor (TELEVISION) through your DSR-11? This would make sense.

Paul Vlachos May 28th, 2004 11:23 AM

Hi Ken.

Sorry about the confusing terminology.

I already view the timeline, bins, viewer and canvas on my Apple Display. I'm okay with that.

When I log and capture, AND when I edit, the footage also appears on my Sony PVM-14L2 production monitor, which is plugged into my DSR-11. I like seeing it on that monitor.

I had wanted to ALSO get the viewer window to appear, in another TV monitor, but perhaps that's impossible.

Now I'm worried about your color space comment. I had heard that it's better to edit on a TV monitor. I prefer the way that looks, as well. Should I be using a CRT computer monitor instead? That's contrary to what I've been reading.

Thanks again.

Paul

<<<-- Originally posted by Ken Tanaka : Paul,
I think our confusion stems from nomenclature.

The FCP panels (timeline, bins, viewer, canvas) are computer-based displays. If I understand you correctly ("...I usually view the canvas window on an external Sony video monitor.") you viewing the canvas panel on a Sony production monitor (television) through your DSR11 deck?

It's more common, and useful, to use a production monitor (television) to view the actual footage from the timeline or viewer. This is normally displayed in the canvas panel as you work but that version is not the true color space of the footage. It's also common to use a second COMPUTER monitor to display the FCP workspace.

So, am I correct that your actual goal is to use two COMPUTER monitors attached to your Mac to spread-out the FCP work space and that you'd like to be able to view footage on a production monitor (TELEVISION) through your DSR-11? This would make sense. -->>>

Ken Tanaka May 28th, 2004 12:02 PM

Ah, ok. I think I have it.

What would be best, and what I think you really want to accomplish, is to continue viewing your footage through your DSR-11 on your Sony production monitor. I assume you're sending that from your Mac to the deck through Firewire. That image provides the most faithful representation of what you're working on.

It sounds like you want to give yourself more working space by adding a second COMPUTER monitor to your Mac and use it as an expanded desktop.

Certainly this can be done on all relatively current Macs. The exact steps depend on the model of Mac you have. As Boyd noted, many Macs have video adapters to which you can easily connect a second computer monitor. Your original manual and the Apple support site will be the best places to research this further. It should be quite easy, as OS 10's System Preferences will generally let your enable that second monitor once it's connected.

Boyd Ostroff May 28th, 2004 12:14 PM

Sorry, I'm more confused than ever now! You want to have: (1) Cinema display with timeline, pallettes, menus, canvas, etc, (2) NTSC monitor with video over firewire via your DSR-11 and (3) another NTSC monitor with a viewer window that can show a separate clip? Is that right? I don't know that this is possible. What you could do would be to use a video card with s-video output (my Radeon 7000 offers this). You could plug your NTSC monitor into that and drag the viewer window to it. Now this would still just be an extension of the desktop and would show the whole viewer window with its controls, etc, not just the video itself. There may also be color space issues with that, although you can tweak with through the control panel somewhat. But the image shown in that viewer window is really only preview quality.

Another way to connect a second NTSC monitor would be to use a scan converter to allow you to plug it into a VGA or DVI port. Using the external video settings you could choose either firewire (via your DSR-11) or your second NTSC monitor (regardless of how it's connected) to display the canvas. If you chose the second NTSC monitor then all your video would go there, however your could still use the monitor on the DSR-11 to view while capturing.

Paul Vlachos May 28th, 2004 01:19 PM

Thanks to all. You've been helpful.

I may not have been as clear as intended, but I think we're half there.

I'm going to do more research on my own and post it here if and when I find the exact answer.

Ken, though, you nailed it on the head with the first part, that of viewing it on my production monitor, which I'm already doing. I'm glad that's the case of it being the most faithful representation.

As for screen real estate, I'm okay with that.

I may not be able to get the browser and viewer to appear simultaneously on separate TV monitors, but I'm going to keep trying.

Thanks again to all.