DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   URGENT...FCP serial number question (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/29016-urgent-fcp-serial-number-question.html)

Krista McCutcheon July 15th, 2004 08:24 AM

URGENT...FCP serial number question

I'm on the road, in the middle of a project, and I've had to remove FCP 4 due to some problems on my Powerbook. I'm trying to install it again with the original DVD's, but it says I need to have the info from the "Installing your Software" book's front page. I have the serial number and product authorization code with me, but not the book.....what do I need to get this to work?

Thanks!!!!

Jeff Donald July 15th, 2004 08:50 AM

You need a serial number. If this isn't working call Apple Care, 1-800-MY-Apple, there may be a charge for their technical help. Have you deleted all the FCP files? Exactly what does the error message say? What happened to the Powerbook, that may shed some light on your issues.

Krista McCutcheon July 15th, 2004 09:21 AM

The problems I've been having include the Powerbook (17" G4) crashing at least every other day, with a grey screen that says (in many languages) that I have to hit the Power button to restart. The date and time don't stay set and keep moving to random dates in 1970. It sounds like it's running hot (whirring or fan noises). And FCP will start, but as soon as I go to use it (even opening something) I get, "FCP has unexpectedly shut down. This has not affected other applications." I was also getting this message with other applications randomly. FCP was never working, though. We re-installed OS X and I've just updated it to the latest version. I removed all the FCP files, according to an article on the Apple website.

So, if any of that helps, there it is.

Thanks so much for your time!

Jeff Donald July 15th, 2004 09:40 AM

How much ram is installed and what is the source of it? This sounds like bad ram.

Krista McCutcheon July 15th, 2004 10:00 AM

We had added a 512 from macsales.com to double the memory, and after troubleshooting over the phone with Apple, took it out to try to locate the specific problem. It's too early to tell if that's solved it, and we still couldn't get FCP to run with just the original memory. I guess we'll put the new memory back in next week and see if the problems return.

Jeff Donald July 15th, 2004 11:20 AM

You may need to do a search to make sure all the FCP files are deleted. Do a search for all files that contain FCP and Final Cut, including hidden files. Then delete all the files. Make sure you're not deleting any media files you need. Then try installing FCP again.

Krista McCutcheon July 21st, 2004 08:05 PM

Will all the hidden files show up in a search for "Final Cut Pro"?

Jeff Donald July 21st, 2004 08:13 PM

Search using the Apple key and the "F" key. Set it to search for both visible and invisible files. All the files will show up if you search the terms above.