DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   Capturing both audio channels in FCP 4 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/30233-capturing-both-audio-channels-fcp-4-a.html)

Matt Elias August 7th, 2004 11:50 PM

Capturing both audio channels in FCP 4

Working on a project in FCP 4 on a different computer than when I started it. Today was the first time I captured video to the new computer. I batch captured 30 clips and the audio came in I believe as stereo (it only takes one audio track in the timeline). All of the other clips I captured on the previous computer came in with both channels of audio. I'm capturing from the same tape, so I know it has both channels.

What can I do to get both audio channels on the 30 clips. I'm sure I did something wrong on the batch capture but I don't know how to correct it. What settings should I have to capture both channels of audio? In essence, I'd like to know how to recapture these clips without having to redo it again manually.

Matt Elias August 8th, 2004 12:38 AM

I played around with capturing. When I used the "capture clip" feature I was able to capture both audio channels, but when I captured the same clip in a batch capture it came in as only one audio track (mono mix I believe).

Is there a separate preference for audio when doing batch capture?

Tim Lane August 8th, 2004 11:57 AM

See if this works ... In the Log & Capture window. Select the Clip Settings tab and set the Audio Format to Ch1+Ch2. You'll still have to recapture but you still have the Logs (right?).

Matt Elias August 9th, 2004 12:28 PM

I still have the logs - but how do I tell the log and capture that I want to recapture those specific logs, clips?

Tim Lane August 9th, 2004 02:03 PM

If you delete (or move) the captured QT files from your scratch disk. The "logged items" in your FCP Logging Bin won't be able to locate them and you can re-capture from the Log and Capture window. Let me know how it goes.

Matt Elias August 9th, 2004 10:02 PM

Will I be able to preserve the in and out points that I logged? I'd like to find a way to avoid having to go in and reset each in and out point of 30 clips.

Tim Lane August 9th, 2004 11:29 PM

Yes. The In/Outs are logged in the logging bin -- you don't delete them -- currently they are pointers to your existing captured clips. If you move the captured clips (the old ones) to another folder then the items in the logging bin will display as offline. Then you can batch capture new clips with your new settings.

Guy Cochran August 10th, 2004 03:17 PM

Tim has the right idea!

Try this:

1. In the Browser, select the clips you want to re-capture.
2. Control-click on one and choose "Make Offline"
3. Choose to delete the Media
4. Go File > Log and Capture
5. Click on the Clip Settings Tab
6. Change the Audio pop-up to Stereo (instead of A1+A2 or Mono Mix)
7. Click Batch Capture in the Lower Right
8. Uncheck "Use Logged Clip Settings" (this will use the Settings that you just set to Stereo"

This is from the top of my head, so if you have any problems with any step, post and I'll hook up a deck to walk through it.

Matt Elias August 10th, 2004 07:11 PM

Thanks so much for your advice guys. Right now I'm not able to use the G5 (my brother uses it for work) so I can't test this out. My G4 is still acting goofy w/ audio out of sync. I'm taking it to the Apple Store on thurs to get it back in working order (crossing fingers).

I had posted previously that my project works fine on the G5, but on the G4 the audio is out of sync in the viewer, timeline, and canvas. The G4 was taken to a local mac store that is an authorized apple serice center and they could not remidy the problem. Thus, my last option is the Applestore - which is an hour drive for me.

By the way, I spoke w/ the Pro Video guys from AppleCare, and found out that they charge $200 for their services! That is $200 everytime you call, or $800/year. They couldn't give much advice until I forked over the 200 - hopefully you guys here in the forum don't charge as much : )

Guy Cochran August 10th, 2004 07:37 PM

Hey we're much cheaper here! But a couple things before going too nuts.

Which mic did use to capture the audio?

I'm guessing the on camera stereo mic?
If you had used a shotgun mic or lavalier which is a mono mic, you would choose A1+A2 or mono mix.

What did you have the camera's audio setting at 16bit or 12bit?
You should always have it set to 16bit (unless capturing 4 channels on a Canon XL_)
16 Bit = 48kHz
12 Bit = 32kHz

A default Final Cut Pro Sequence is 48kHz. If you capture 12 bit sound w/ a 48kHz preset, you're going to have sync issues.

Matt Elias August 11th, 2004 03:57 PM

On this particular tape I had two Sennheiser eW500 lavs connected to a Studio 1 XLR adapter. At the time I shot this footage (last summer) I was just starting out w/ my GL 2 and cannot remember if it was shot in 12 or 16 bit. I hadn't changed any of the settings, so I'm sure it was set at the default.

The funny thing is, is that I ran a batch capture w/ this tape a few weeks ago on my G4 (before it was giving me problems) and it captured two channels of audio - so I know that there are two channels there.

Matt Elias August 17th, 2004 09:05 PM

Guy, I was able to use my G4 today (seems to be working OK) and go through the steps that you listed. After the batch, the clips still came in w/ only one track of audio.

In the Log and Capture, I captured one of these clips using the "Cature Clip" function and it came in w/ both tracks of audio. When I batch capture this same clip w/ others they all come in w/ only one track.

I guess my next option is to capture them all individually?

Guy Cochran August 17th, 2004 09:26 PM

In the Browser, make the clips offline w/ a control-click.
Then select all the clips and find the "Track Column" in the Browser - make sure it says "1V + 2A" if it doesn't control-click to change.
Locate the "Audio Column" in the Browser control-click and change to A1+A2.
Now go File>Batch Capture.
You'll want to "Use Logged Clipped Settings" for your Capture.

Good luck,

Matt Elias August 17th, 2004 09:31 PM

Thanks Guy.

Well, a minute after I logged that last clip individually, the audio came out of sync. I haven't done the batch yet as you suggested - I'm hesistant to do this if the audio is not working properly. I think I will take it to the Apple Store this weekend...

And people wonder how aneurysms develop.

Matt Elias August 17th, 2004 11:48 PM

I want to note that the audio didn't come out of sync in that individual clip only, every clip in the entire project is out of sync. The way I wrote it above may have sounded like only that clip was out of sync.

I'm confused on how the audio in my project can seemingly work fine and then all of a sudden go out of sync. I would think that it would be one way or the other, always.

Matt Elias August 21st, 2004 08:07 PM

Update

Dropped the G4 off at the Apple Store while I'm in Portland for a few weeks. Looks like I'm in good hands. Will keep you guys posted.