DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   10.3.5 is out... but don't be in a hurry (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/30306-10-3-5-out-but-dont-hurry.html)

Kevin Burnfield August 9th, 2004 08:17 PM

10.3.5 is out... but don't be in a hurry

Apple has released the update for 10.3.5 BUT I would advise all FCP users to hang on and wait a couple of days till others have tried it out before jumping in.

I'm in the middle of an editing project so I know I'm not going to do it, I don't have the time to be tracking down any issues right now if there are any.

Paul Figgiani August 10th, 2004 02:15 PM

I installed 10.3.5 last evening. I have been working on a project in FCP HD all day...so far so good. In fact, as I mentioned somwhere else, my Mac feels somewhat more 'snappy'.

-paul

Kevin Burnfield August 10th, 2004 08:29 PM

Great to hear, Paul!

I'm anxious to try it out but till Ken Stone ( www.kenstone.net ) gives the high sign I usually wait.

Dave Perry August 10th, 2004 09:26 PM

I'm using it on my home set up with FCE on a G3 iBook 800 with no issues but haven't installed it on the dual 2gig G5 at work yet. We are at the end of a major project and when it's done will more than likely update.

Paul Vlachos August 12th, 2004 12:39 PM

Been using it with no glitches at all for the last two days on my Dual 2.0 G5 and my old Dual 1.25 G4.

Lots of editing and other functions with FCP-HD, DVD SP3, and many other apps. No problems at all. Not even with Pro Tools, which is usually the acid test.

Ozzie Leon August 26th, 2004 08:51 AM

Has anyone had freezes with there G5, I have about a month old G5 with 2.5gig ram 250 media drive int. I want to get motion but i am concern about the freezes. The system will just lock up and i can't even get to the force shut down. I have to physically turn it off and turn it back on. I just switched from using pc for the past 20+ yrs and i hope i did not make a mistake. If this is in the wrong post i am sorry. I just need some answere and no one seems to be able to help. I don't want to buy motion and keep having problems with the G5.

Jeff Donald August 26th, 2004 09:34 AM

Please provide more details Ozzie. What OS version are you using, where did you buy your ram, when does it lock up. Have you tried to force quit (Apple Key, Option Key, Escape Key) your application?

Ozzie Leon August 26th, 2004 04:45 PM

Jeff thanks for getting back. os is 10.35,. the ram was purchased from the apple compuer store. it locks up whenever it feels like. it does not matter, FCPHD, livetype soundstream. it just locks up. Once it does I can't get to none of the force quit options. I have to just power it off manually. It did not do it when i first purchased it ,but now it is getting worse.

Paul Vlachos August 26th, 2004 05:01 PM

Well, something's going on because most of the G5's I use never freeze. Troubleshooting's an art. You can try the usual - make sure you repair permissions while booted from the startup disk. You can repair the disk while booted from the installer DVD. You can ultimately do a clean install, even, which is not such a hassle as it used to be.

If all that doesn't work, you start to think about hardware problems. You can start by running the Apple Hardware Test CD that came with the machine. You can remove the extra RAM and see if the original 512 megs work with no problem.

I'm skipping a few other things you can do, the "rule out problems one at a time" stuff.

I'm running motion on a Dual 2.0 with a lot of RAM and it's still slow. Reminds me of Composer version 1.0. I think that the 1.1 version will probably be a good deal faster. Getting the 6800 card to replace my 9600 may help, too. ;-)

Good luck, and please keep us posted. Stick with it till it's solved. It's a great OS and is remarkably trouble-free usually.

Jeff Donald August 26th, 2004 05:33 PM

Sounds like bad memory. If you want to trouble shoot you'll have to remove pairs of ram sticks and operate to see if it still locks. But since the ram is all Apple I would return the unit to them.

Ozzie Leon August 26th, 2004 06:51 PM

thanks all, i will keep at it.

Patricia Kim August 26th, 2004 09:02 PM

Do you still have a warranty on it? Or did you get Apple Care? When my Powerbook started acting up, I also resisted taking it in. The hard disk simply died one day. Fortunately most of my stuff was backed up. But I lost some items. I should have known better and used my Apple Care option sooner. Jeff doesn't usually tell people to take in their Macs. When he does, it's probably worth it to listen.

Ozzie Leon August 28th, 2004 08:34 AM

yes still under warranty, ok i've made no changes and since i've posted this message it has been running fine. go figure, i will still take it in after i am done with my project.

Laurence Maher September 8th, 2004 12:38 AM

You might also consider (in case you haven't) to not have any software on it that isn't absolutely necessary, and never use the boot / main drive for storage. Is yours that liquid cooled system or previous model?