DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   Final cut express version 2 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/30869-final-cut-express-version-2-a.html)

Dennis Parker August 23rd, 2004 05:16 AM

Final cut express version 2

I am about to begin editing a couple of shorts that I shot this past weekend. I have Final cut express and know that apple has a new version of FCE out....is it worth the upgrade? If you have the new version what are some of the new features that you like?

Thanks!

Bjorn C Hagert August 24th, 2004 11:57 AM

I upgraded to FCP HD and I am very happy with it. After running FCE for 6 months the learning curve was not steep. I got OMF export so I can do Sound Editing in Digital Performer AND composing. I had no idea that Sound Track was included and that is really great if you need some short texture music. Then there is Compressor, Live Type and Cinema Tools too.

Mad a hole in the wallet but I am very content with the FCP HD upgrade.

(I am running it on 2GHz Dual G5)

Duane Martin August 25th, 2004 10:22 AM

Dennis, FCE 2 introduces a huge upgrade to real-time performance, if you have a Mac to take advantage of that. You do not mention what Mac you are using, so it is a little hard to comment further.

Bjorn C Hagert August 25th, 2004 12:23 PM

Sorry I thought there was a FCE 3 out. I did not understand we talked about an upgrade from FCE 1 to FCE 2, sorry about that.

Then my reply is another; FCE 2 is really nice and it is really worth getting that one before you go to FCP. FCE 2 much better than FCE 1 and I felt like it was quite a lot faster too.

Dennis Parker August 26th, 2004 08:15 AM

Thanks for the replies!

I have a 1.25ghz/g4/256mb/80g HD, emac with superdrive. I bought it from apple with FCE installed.

I'm about to begin editing my first couple of shorts and was wondering if I should upgrade to version 2 before I start.

Jeff Donald August 26th, 2004 10:01 AM

I don't use FCE (nor do the schools I teach at) so I can't comment on speed etc. But I will advise you to not to upgrade software during a project. More ram would be a great addition to your system as well.

Bjorn C Hagert August 26th, 2004 10:06 AM

<<<-- Originally posted by Dennis Parker :

I'm about to begin editing my first couple of shorts and was wondering if I should upgrade to version 2 before I start. -->>>

Yes!

Alan Tran August 26th, 2004 10:58 AM

final cut express requires 384 of ram i believe
but 2 is a significant upgrade from 1 (rt extreme)

Jeff Bilman November 4th, 2004 09:21 PM

Enough RAM?

Dennis,
Did you upgrade? If so, how did you go about the RAM. Yours is below specifications.

I have the same dilemma, will be editing with G4 256MB RAM and wanted to get Final Cut Express 2 but saw the specs were low.
Can anyone advise?

Thanks,
Jeff

Jeff Bilman November 4th, 2004 09:49 PM

Enough RAM?

Dennis,
Did you upgrade? If so, how did you go about the RAM. Yours is below specifications.

I have the same dilemma, will be editing with G4 256MB RAM and wanted to get Final Cut Express 2 but saw the specs were low.
Can anyone advise?

Thanks,
Jeff

Dennis Parker November 5th, 2004 04:41 AM

Jeff,

I decided to stick with version 1 and not upgrade. I finished editing my two shorts and just last week I started submitting them to film fests.....my fingers are crossed about them being accepted!

I pulled the saturation down to make one short completely B&W, and I pulled down the saturation in the other short for a flashback scene. But that's getting off topic.....

:)