DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   Monitor? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/32426-monitor.html)

Vishal Gurung September 23rd, 2004 11:30 AM

Monitor?

Hey guys..

Just a quickie question here i hope someone can help me out with.. i'm currently editing with a dual 8 G4 tower and would like to add a monitor/small tv to view my FCP timeline before i render it out to a dvd just so i can have a better idea of the final output.. so basically, i don't know how to do this? :| if i just purchase a small lil tv, do i need to buy any additional video cards for my tower? are there any special settings the t.v should have, special inputs/outputs? Would love to figure out how to set this up at as much a reasonable price as possible.. help? thxn!

Cliff Hepburn September 23rd, 2004 11:46 AM

I've got a Panasonic PV DV103 that I use as my deck.
In VCR mode, it takes the 1394 feed from the the computer and I can plug the TV throught the minijack of the camcorder and voila,
it displays full screen what the monitor window in Premiere shows. YMMV using a G4.
If you get a separate vid card, you'll see your computer's desktop on your TV with poor image quality.
I read about this someplace on this forum.

Vishal Gurung September 23rd, 2004 12:18 PM

hmm so you're using your camera as a deck? interesting... i got a spare sony camera i might be able to use... hmmmmmmm thanks!

Joshua Starnes September 23rd, 2004 12:53 PM

I've got a Panasonic PV DV103 that I use as my deck.
In VCR mode, it takes the 1394 feed from the the computer and I can plug the TV throught the minijack of the camcorder and voila,
it displays full screen what the monitor window in Premiere shows. YMMV using a G4.
If you get a separate vid card, you'll see your computer's desktop on your TV with poor image quality.
I read about this someplace on this forum.

That's my set up and works pretty good for me. It's particularly useful for color correction, as I know while working what the scene is actually going to look like (though you have to properly calibrate your monitor for that).

It's also very useful for preparing graphics, as you'll see your what it's really going to look like on TV.

Mark Sloan September 23rd, 2004 02:10 PM

I have that exact same machine and use a Sony TRV-17 to output from firewire to RCA to my TV. Just make sure you set it up correctly in FCP and on your camera and you will see it on the TV while it plays on your monitor. It might depend on the model of camera you use as well whether it can pass through and do a digital to analog conversion.

It depends on how accurate you want the final output to be in terms of what kind of TV to buy... but just buying a TV with RCA inputs should do it.

Vishal Gurung September 23rd, 2004 02:43 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Mark Sloan : I have that exact same machine and use a Sony TRV-17 to output from firewire to RCA to my TV. Just make sure you set it up correctly in FCP and on your camera and you will see it on the TV while it plays on your monitor. It might depend on the model of camera you use as well whether it can pass through and do a digital to analog conversion.
-->>>
That's awesome.. altho it beg's the question, what exactly is the correct settings on fcp? glad to receive answers so quick tho.. now i gotta jack up the tv from the bedroom and dodge the gf's burning glare :D

It depends on how accurate you want the final output to be in terms of what kind of TV to buy... but just buying a TV with RCA inputs should do it. -->>>

As accurate as possible without spending too much coin :D

Boyd Ostroff September 23rd, 2004 03:34 PM

Try to get a monitor and camera/deck that can use an s-video (Y/C) hookup. The image will be significantly better. Even better, use component video, but that may be harder to find on a budget.

If your extra camera doesn't offer s-video you might consider something similar to this: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=263760&is=REG

Mark Sloan September 24th, 2004 10:26 PM

View->External Video->All Frames... Shortcut is Apple F12 to get your video to go out of FCP. On your camera you should select in the V menu A/V->DV Out to On to get your camera to pass through the firewire signal to its analog outs. A lot of Sony cams are set up like this and have an S video out.

Glenn Chan September 24th, 2004 10:43 PM

Composite VS S-video:
Composite is kind of more accurate since you see things like chroma crawl. Your audience may be likely using composite connections.

S-video however is much higher resolution. I don't think it offers better color accuracy. It might be lower noise, but I doubt that's an issue.

2- TV: If you have some money, go for an industrial quality monitor (example models are on the Panasonic or JVC professional websites). These will have better color accuracy than the consumer stuff out there. Otherwise get any small TV should be ok.

Vishal Gurung September 25th, 2004 12:25 PM

Dang, all this good advice... thanks so much guys, really appreciate it... unfortunately my budget dictates that i'll probably have to resort to a small t.v as there are SO much other things i would need to obtain for the business... but yeh, definitely thanks again, i'll certainly heed all advice when making my decision.

cheers
Vish

Jeff Donald September 25th, 2004 06:00 PM

Composite video and S-video have the same resolution. S-Video will reduce the crosstalk], thereby reducing the chroma artifacts.

Guest September 26th, 2004 09:13 AM

i saw mark posted the settings you should have your camera in when trying to run video through the camera and into the tv but that seems to be for a sony. does any gl2 user do the same thing and would they mind giving me some advice on how to set my camera up for this?

Will Abele September 26th, 2004 01:50 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Jerry Ricciotti : i saw mark posted the settings you should have your camera in when trying to run video through the camera and into the tv but that seems to be for a sony. does any gl2 user do the same thing and would they mind giving me some advice on how to set my camera up for this? -->>>
Follow his directions for FCP and put the GL2 in VTR mode. Press play in FCP and after a few seconds it should work.

Guest September 26th, 2004 07:24 PM

that is what i had tried but to no avail. the "export all frames" option is deselected in FCP....

Mark Sloan September 27th, 2004 11:33 AM

Jerry, you also have to make sure that you go to the menu, select VCR SET UP and select AV->DV OUT and set it to Off. Take out any tape from the camera as well (this part might not be necessary). You have to switch this menu option to Off or On depending on if you want to go from Analog->Camera->Computer (set it to ON) or Computer->Camera->Analog (set it to OFF).

I might have just gotten all of this backwards though! Make sure your camera is setup and turned on before booting up FCP... it might not recognize the camera if not...