DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   Impossible to Show Like A Pro? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/38807-impossible-show-like-pro.html)

Chris Marty February 3rd, 2005 06:17 AM

Impossible to Show Like A Pro?

I just finished combing these threads, and I wasn't able to track down an answer for something that's got me scratching my head. I'm new to this, so bear with me.

I'm editing 24p 2:3:3:2 16x9 footage from an XL-2 in FCPHD. I'm exporting using Compressor with the 60min High Quality MPEG-2 for DVD preset. I'm taking that into DVD Studio Pro, adding a menu, and burning the disc.

Now. Aside from the flicker I'm seeing when I view it on the computer screens, I'm baffled by the fact that the DVD won't go full screen. When viewed, it sits centered on the screen and doesn't stretch to fill horizontally the way a retail DVD does. It works fine on my television, however. Anyone able to explain it?

Also, am I using the wrong preset and causing the interlaced/progressive conflict flicker, or is there something else I'm overlooking.

Sorry to be so long-winded, and thanks in advance for any help.

Rob Lohman February 3rd, 2005 06:34 AM

Hello Chris and welcome aboard DVInfo.net!

I don't have FCPHD / DVDSP so I can't comment on how it should
be done. But usually you need to make sure that the MPEG-2
encode/export has the 16:9 anamorphic widescreen flag set,
is in 24 fps and in not interlaced (interlaced set to none or
progressive). Then when doing the authoring make sure DVDSP
sees everything as 16:9 anamorphic as well!

If you are using presets make sure they enforce these settings,
I assume it is possible to adapt the presets if settings would be
out of order? (I can do this on my NLE on the PC).

Chris Marty February 3rd, 2005 07:36 AM

Hey Rob, thanks for getting back to me.

FCPHD does have a 16:9 Widescreen preset, but it squashes the footage vertically. I was surprised to see it happen, but choosing that setting actually causes it to be in the *wrong* ratio. Go figure.

I'm going to triple check settings w/regards to the interlaced/progressive issue, but I tried to be careful each of the previous times through. I'll get back to you (more, obviously, for anyone who might share the problem) when I've got results.

Oh, and yes, it's possible to adapt/adjust all of the settings in FCP's presets.

Rob Lohman February 4th, 2005 03:38 AM

It sounds like FCPHD's project is not set to 16:9 or it doesn't know
the footage is in 16:9....

Chris Marty February 8th, 2005 03:23 PM

Well, no luck.

I've gone over all of my settings a number of times. Figured the easiest thing might be just to spell them out. So here goes:

Sequence Preset: DV NTSC 48kHz - 23.98
---------------------
Frame Size: 720x480
Aspect Ratio: NTSC DV 3:2
Pixel Aspect Ratio: NTSC - CCIR 601 / DV (Anamorphic 16:9 checked)
Editing Timebase: 23.98

Capture Preset: DV NTSC 48kHz Advanced (2:3:3:2) Pulldown Removal

Hmm. Just discovered that my capture preset doesn't have the 16:9 Anamorphic checkbox checked. Does that mean that I captured all the footage wrong? Is that the problem?

Again, sorry to be such an amateur about this.

Rob Lohman February 9th, 2005 05:29 AM

It could be, I don't know. Not on a Mac here. Could recapture some
footage that way to see what happens if you enable it?

Unfortunately FCP seems to be using template names (NTSC - CCIR 601)
instead of numbers, so I can't tell whether it is using the correct
aspect ratio or not....

I've moved this thread to the FCP editing forum, since it is more
an issue with FCP then anything else! Hopefully that will get you
some more responses from people in the know as well.

Jesse Davidson February 9th, 2005 02:10 PM

Sequence Preset

I think that your sequence preset is the problem. If it is just set to DV NTSC 23.98, you are still working in the 4:3 aspect ratio. I had to duplicate the DV NTSC 23.98 preset and then check the anamorphic box in order to create my own 23.98 Anamorphic preset.

Hope that helps,
Jesse Davidson

Chris Marty February 9th, 2005 03:15 PM

Jesse -

Thanks. I think you're right. And since it's working at 4:3 and the footage is automatically detected as anamorphic, it letterboxes it and the letterbox is applied during export, regardless of the method (Compressor, Quicktime, etc.). Therefore, you end up with the double letterbox when you transfer to dvd and try to watch it on a 16:9 display.

I'll update this thread one more time when I can confirm for certain what settings take me from 16:9 in camera to proper output on all displays.

Hopefully this will be helpful to the next reader lacking the same experience.

Dave Perry February 9th, 2005 07:53 PM

Chris,

You said it works fine on your television so I take it you having trouble having your movie fill up your Mac screen?

If this is the case then when Apple's DVD Player is open, press command 3 for Maximum Size and command 0 for Full Screen. Or go to the video menu.