DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   Proper Capture Settings (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/39166-proper-capture-settings.html)

Chris Marty February 9th, 2005 03:18 PM

Proper Capture Settings

Can anyone succinctly detail the correct capture settings in FCPHD when capturing the following type of footage?:

Canon XL2
16:9
24p 2:3:3:2 Advanced Pulldown

I'm mostly concerned with the frame rate, as I'm not sure if it should be set to 24, 23.98 to match the sequence, or 29.97 to match what's actually on the tape after the pulldown.

Thanks as always,

Chris.

Jesse Davidson February 9th, 2005 05:00 PM

Chris

Hi Chris,
The student film I'm directing is going to have to be transferred to film in order for the Nashville Film Festival to show it. I'm dealing with the same exact settings you are going to need, I'm going to read these settings right off of my computer.

Keep in mind that you'll have to create these settings yourself because they don't exist until you create them. With that in mind, here we go!

Your Sequence Presets should be:
(DV NTSC 48 kHz Anamorphic 23.98)
Frame Size: 720 x 480 Pixels (Make sure that the 16:9 box is checked on)
Editing Timebase: 23.98 fps
Field Dominance: None

Your Capture Settings should be:
(DV NTSC 48 kHz Anamorphic Advanced (2:3:3:2) Pulldown Removal)
Frame Size: 720 x 480 Pixels (Make sure the 16:9 box is checked on)
Quicktime Video Settings: 29.97 fps**** This is important (It looks wrong, but it's right)

I hope that this helps you. I was going to ask you whether you shot in Stretch Mode or Letterbox, but then I remembered...you lucky XL2 users have true 16:9. Update us when you finish your project.

Good Luck,
Jesse Davidson

Chris Marty February 9th, 2005 05:17 PM

Thanks a ton, Jesse. That's the exact info I was looking for. I'll keep you posted as the process continues.

Not, I imagine, that I'll be able to help it. This'll be far from the last time I need help.

Thanks again,

Chris.

Xiaoli Wang March 21st, 2005 05:22 PM

Jesse,

I followed your instructions/settings but my footage always seems to be captured at 29.97, which can't be integrated into the 23.98 timeline. I'm also on the XL2, 16:9, 2:3:3:2. Am I doing something wrong?

Xiaoli Wang March 21st, 2005 05:46 PM

Hmm, it seems that when I let the tape run to it's end it captures in 29.97, but when I stop the capture manually by pressing ESC it correctly captures in 23.98. What's up with this?

Jesse Davidson March 21st, 2005 08:03 PM

29.97??

hi guys,
after I captured it, it would read 29.97. But once I dragged it into the timeline, it was in 23.94. I think it reads 29.97 right after you capture because of the fact that it is pulling down from 29.97. I'm pretty sure that's all the problem is.

Hope that helps,
Jesse