DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   PC to Mac Download of Video Files for Editing (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/39444-pc-mac-download-video-files-editing.html)

Kevin Arkadie February 14th, 2005 11:02 AM

PC to Mac Download of Video Files for Editing

I hope this is the right forum. I have two 500g drives. For time and cost reasons, I need to use separate Mac and PC formatted drives for storage. My editor has Final Cut Pro. Will he be able to pull the DV footage from my NTSF drive and edit it in Final Cut Pro on his Mac? What do I need to do to make this happen?

Rhett Allen February 14th, 2005 03:10 PM

What kind of drive's are they? Internal, external, Firewire? Are you networked?

You can transfer the files over a network to him, or for external drives you will need to use FAT32 formatting. MacOS cannot read NTFS formatted drives.

Also make sure you are capturing them in a format that FCP can actually read. Not some proprietary format used by another editing program.

Kevin Arkadie February 14th, 2005 05:34 PM

Thanks. I've got two external LaCie BigDisk 500g drives that are triple-interfaced. The LaCie comes formatted for the Mac, but it's easy to format for NTSF, which is what my Canon PC-DV Recorder requires to store as I record off the camera. I'm trying to figure out a way to keep from buying an Apple computer -- maybe I'll have to bite the bullet.

Shane Ross February 14th, 2005 06:19 PM

Your editor is going to have difficulty editing with footage stored on a drive formatted anything other than Mac OS Extended (HFS+) with journalling off.

Also, what format are the video files? are they quicktime files? If they are .AVI's, again, he will have some issues. The optimum format for FCP is DV/NTSC 29.97 drop frame video. FCP will have difficulty with PC .avi or mpeg2 files. Just like Premeire would have difficulty with files captured on an FCP system.

Rob Lohman February 16th, 2005 05:09 AM

Shane: PPro or Vegas should have no trouble with a QuickTime
DV file (ie, captured with FCP), as long as you can transfer that
file to a PC.

Dave Perry February 16th, 2005 07:04 AM

Kevin,

Bite the Bullet!! :) It's worth it. Macs definitely play nicer with PCs than PCs do with Macs.

We have a Mac as our main edit station and an old PC running XP Pro and Premier. Occassionally we transfer files from the PC to the Mac and it is usually problematic.

I thought XP Pro discs were formatted as NTSF. We have no problem connecting to them from the Mac and can read the files on the Mac but can't write to them. FAT 32 is no problem though.

Mark Sloan February 16th, 2005 03:44 PM

NTFS can be read only on Macs directly. Through a network though you can do whatever. With FAT32 you can read and write on a Mac, but are limited to 4GB files. So for video that usually doesn't work...