DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   Decklink SP Monitor Issues (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/40285-decklink-sp-monitor-issues.html)

C. Byrne February 28th, 2005 03:49 PM

Decklink SP Monitor Issues

I've just installed a decklink sp today in my dual 2.0 G5. I have a dual crt monitor setup and also a broadcast monitor (a JVC TM-A101GU). I've connected the SDI cable to the broadcast monitor, but I can't get a picture. I'm using FCP HD but get nothing but static on the monitor. Is there some setting I'm overlooking or is the problem that it's not a digital monitor? The mac recognizes that it's there in some way because my mouse can go off screen to where it should be, but I can't see it on the tv. Any help would be appreciated!

Rob Lohman March 6th, 2005 03:28 AM

I'm not a Mac person, but wouldn't you need to tell FCP (somewhere
in the preferences) that it should use the decklink as a monitor?
I assume this doesn't happen automatically.

Anyone else have an idea?

Shane Ross March 6th, 2005 03:59 AM

Does this broadcast monitor accept an SDI feed? Looking it up I see that it only accepts a composite signal. And that card can send out a component signal, or SDI signal...not composite. What you are going to have to do is route thru your deck and then out of the deck to the monitor (if you deck has composite out).

And this monitor will mot act like a second computer monitor...your mouse will not appear on its screen. Rather, it displays the image from the timeline or Viewer...an image that best represents your footage.

If you want two monitors then you are going to have to get another computer monitor and connect it to your G5s video card. It supports two monitors (make sure to get the appropriate adaptors, if needed.)

C. Byrne March 7th, 2005 11:12 AM

Thanks for replying. You're right, the broadcast monitor doesn't have an SDI input. Only composite. I'm going to try running the picture from the BetaSP deck like you suggested with the BNC cable. The cables should get here today so I'll let you know how it works out.

Dean Sensui March 7th, 2005 01:45 PM

There's a Systems preference panel called "Blackmagic Decklink" and you can assign your Decklink's video connections for Analog Y, BY, RY if you're outputting as a component signal. Or you can just select Analog NTSC (Y Out) and use the Decklink's Y output as a composite monitor signal if you're not feeding the Betacam deck.

The Decklink card will act as a second monitor until you go into FCP. At which point it'll behave as a video monitor. You will need to make sure you have the right outputs selected in FCP. Go to Audio/Video Settings and, under A/V devices, select Blackmagic NTSC - 8 bit for your video playback output. Decklink Audio should also be selected for audio output.

Under the "view" dropdown menu, go to Video Playback and select Blackmagic NTSC - 8 Bit. then go to External Video and make sure you have "all frames" selected.

C. Byrne March 7th, 2005 04:46 PM

Ok, well the only thing that has worked to even show the picture is to use the Y out from the decklink card into the broadcast monitor. But the problem is it doesn't show up in color. My original plan to go through the betacam deck hasn't worked. With the bnc cables hooked up, I get no picture. I've checked the monitor by hooking it up to my camera so I know it works and displays color. I don't understand why routing it through the deck isn't working. If I'm outputting the video correctly, it should be just a matter of using a monitor to view it. Right?! Any thoughts?

C. Byrne March 8th, 2005 09:37 AM

update: I got a color picture when playing a tape directly from the betacam sp deck. But still could get no video feed from the computer.

Shane Ross March 8th, 2005 10:08 AM

That is odd.

While I have no experience with this card, when I am using an Avid, the signal is routed from the avid to the UVW1800, then a composite feed (off the Super feed) is fed to the monitor...and it plays thru fine.

Might be a deck setting. Scroll thru the menu and see what you find.

C. Byrne March 8th, 2005 10:20 AM

Once I set the video input on the deck to component in instead of composite in (duh!), I can now see the signal coming from the computer. The only problem is I can't seem to figure out how to input a reference signal. I keep getting "No Ref!" on the deck and the picture is split and disjointed.

Shane Ross March 8th, 2005 10:27 AM

Ah.

Youi need a Black Burst generator. You plug that into the REF in on the deck. It helps the deck keep a constant pace.

C. Byrne March 8th, 2005 11:17 AM

I think I finally got it to work! In the manual for the decklink, they suggested this and it worked: 1. In the Video Input for component, you have the Y, R-Y and B-Y ports. Remove the “Y in (from deck)” cable from the Component Y port and connect it to the top-left Ref Video port. 2. Switch the Ref Video termination to Off. 3. Connect a cable from the top-right Ref Video port (labelled “sync”) and connect it to the Component Y port.

Apparently some of the older or cheaper decks (like my uvw1700g) don't like the genlock and some do need the blackburst in order to sync. I'm just glad I don't have to spend the $ on one!

Thanks everyone.