DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   question about making an editing demo reel (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/466766-question-about-making-editing-demo-reel.html)

Matthew Roberts October 29th, 2009 01:37 PM

question about making an editing demo reel

I wasnt sure where to post this thread so hopefully this is a good forum. I recently graduated from college and am putting together a demo reel of my work as an editor. I have a ten minute short fiction narrative that I want to use an excerpt from the beginning of. The only problem is that I scored it with a copyrighted song which I do not have the rights to (which I was told is perfectly fine because I was a student when I made it and it was not used for any monetary gain). What I am wondering is if it is acceptable for me to use this excerpt in my demo reel as a display of my editing work and cite that song in my titles? I dont plan to distribute this film or enter it in anything I just want to use it as an example of my editing skills. I really want to use this excerpt as opposed to any others in the film, and I doubt I could find an acceptable royalty free substitute for it in the scene. Thanks for your input.

Craig Parkes October 29th, 2009 04:34 PM

If you put it on the web, you may be asked to take it down by the copyright holder, which can be very annoying especially once you have edited something to the music - so that's a good reason for using licenced production music or original music over well known material that is likely to be asked to be removed if stumbled across by a royalties collecting agency.

If you are just showing copies to perspective employers, no one will think twice about where the music came from.

So, for your DVD reel, I would say fine. For the web, most likely worst case scenario is that is asked to be removed, which can be quite a hassle.

James Workman October 29th, 2009 07:19 PM

UNLESS that prospective employer is concerned about copyright infringment as a principle, and might balk at hiring someone who used unlicensed music in his editing reel.

I'm not trying to be a jerk, just pointing out that some employers might be sensitive to that.

I would use the reel, with an explanation, perhaps.....and feel the employers out. If it doesn't seem to be an issue, sweet. If it does, have a backup reel and an explanation, just in case.

Maybe Mr. Tauger could chime in on this, but isn't ANY use of copyrighted material without permision technically illegal? I know in Nashville, TN, it may not be prosecuted as often as it could be, put use without permission is definitely frowned upon, even if it's just the videographer.

Alex Humphrey October 30th, 2009 03:16 PM

From what I've seen and done, if you put "Temp Track" on the DVD/Tape and can have it in the menu or begining of the demo and you are NOT publicly showing it, then you have nothing to worry about on any level. It's done a lot.

When we were working on Titanic, Jim Cameron showed us the 7 minute trailer with some drawings and boxy computer renders with many live action scenes and musical score from Enya (Temp Track) to show to Paramount to get them to invest in a large portion of the film that was about half filmed. This version of the trailer was similar to the 7" minute trailer seen at the theaters and I think DVD, only by then the computer graphics where completed.

I don't believe the Enya music ever made it to the theaters for coming attractions, (it might have), and no Enya music was featured in the movie but music was picked or made that sounded like her work because of the temp track. Just a odd piece of trivia for you.