DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   Advice? - Installing Full FC STUDIO over Educational Version (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/471298-advice-installing-full-fc-studio-over-educational-version.html)

Shawn Dooling January 19th, 2010 12:34 PM

Advice? - Installing Full FC STUDIO over Educational Version

Hello all, i need to help, i've been using an educational version of FC Studio with FCP 6. I just bought a complete Version of FC Studio with FCP 7. Should i delete all the old files from the Educational Version before I install the new Version. Will the new version install over the old version? I actually would like it to write over the old version if possible.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Shawn

William Hohauser January 19th, 2010 01:15 PM

The installer will assume that you are replacing whatever is there and write over it. The most important files that need replacing are the actual programs themselves. You can toss those in the trash before installing.

Shawn Dooling January 19th, 2010 01:32 PM

Ok Thanks William, i figured i would get asked to overwrite similar File/app names.

Thanks for the help.....appreciate it.

Shaughan Flynn January 19th, 2010 02:25 PM

If you are REALLY worried about it, run this:

FCS Remover - Uninstall Final Cut Studio, Final Cut Pro, Motion, Compressor, Soundtrack Pro, Color, DVD Studio Pro, LiveType, Cinema Tools

If it was me, I would run that before I did the new install. But then, I am psychotic like that.

Robert Lane January 20th, 2010 01:24 AM

Shawn,

The FCS installer is very similar to the installer for Snow Leopard; it's an "intelligent" install in that it only writes the code required to install its' packages and deletes old code it's replacing. You should be just fine with a normal install/upgrade.

However I would suggest running Onyx for Mac right after you complete the install; this will clear up all the old cache and directory files that were associated with the older version of FCS and prevent any file forks from searching for a now defunct version.

Eric Dyer January 20th, 2010 04:37 AM

FCS Remover

as Shaughan Flynn suggested, I would run FCS remover. Overriding files can open up the possibility of corruption. I would even go as far as install a clean OS on the drive and then install FC Studio. Also FYI, Final Cut Studio academic is a full version. It has all the features as FCS. The only difference is upgrade licensing. Final cut express is however a watered down version.

Just make sure you back up your keyboard and button bars. Do not backup preference files. There is one in the preferences folder and 3 inside the final cut pro user data folder. These get corrupt easily. When launching FCP the first time on a new system, new preference files will be made.