DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   A simple work-flow leading to BR? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/474537-simple-work-flow-leading-br.html)

Lynne Whelden March 10th, 2010 04:54 PM

A simple work-flow leading to BR?

I'd be interested in your input on this work-flow (coming from the standpoint of someone who doesn't feel particularly comfortable around computers):

Start with imovie 9.
Import 1080i HDV footage as "Full-1920x1080"
Do rough cut, trimming some 30 hrs. of footage down to 3 hrs.

Import into FCP
Trim edits, do overwrites, add titles and two other audio tracks

Burn BR disc using the minimal tools available.

Do you see any flaws or potential problems in this? Is there an even easier or cheaper way?
I'd like to be able to do this using my macbook pro and a 1TB G-Raid.
Thanks!

Robert Lane March 10th, 2010 09:05 PM

While there's never a "perfect" way to do any editing (since there's always about 3-4 different routes to get the same results) you can certainly save yourself a huge headache and bypass using iMovie at all. If you've got FCP then start and finish with it; there's absolutely no need to use iMovie for HDV footage - assuming you have FCP6 or newer.

The simplest method (also yielding the average-quality results with the simplest of interfaces) is to edit in FCP, use Compressor to create a BR-spec encode and import that into Toast 9 with the BR plug-in or Toast 10. Using the "share" feature in FCP7 to output to a BR disc has about the same end result.

The best possible method - on the Mac - currently is to cut in FCP (6 or 7), use Compressor to create your BR-spec final using customized settings in Compressor and import that final encode into Encore (part of Premiere Pro) and do your authoring where you will have the greatest control and menu options.

The comment, "...someone who doesn't feel...comfortable with computers..." leads me to believe that you haven't even scratched the surface of all the potential caveats of how to properly prepare and output a file ready for BR finals. There's a wealth of information about BR authoring on the Mac right here on the forum and a great deal of it can be found in the first 5 pages of this forum category, so take some time and do some homework before you delve into this project.

Bottom line: It can easily be done using various tools readily available and if you get stuck in any particular point just chime in and one of us will help you out. But do yourself a favor first and get some background reading done so you're more educated about the steps, possibilities and caveats.

Lynne Whelden March 11th, 2010 08:42 AM

I will certainly check out those pages you refer to.

From a technical standpoint, however, is there any "flaw" in the workflow I proposed? In terms of loss of quality?

imovie actually is a great way to rapidly scan footage and to make rough edits, I must say. And it does have an export function into FCE. As for menus in BR, I could care less if they are basic and plain. I just want to insure that it's good quality (keeping in mind the footage originated with the Sony HC-3, not exactly a high end HD camera).