DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   Dumb Apple question (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/482410-dumb-apple-question.html)

Jason Sovey August 9th, 2010 10:09 PM

Cool! I will try it.

I'll look into some online tutorials. I saw Lynda.com mentioned in an earlier reply.

But I'm sure I'll be coming back here with some questions. I've already learned a couple things my co-workers couldn't figure out.

Thanks!

I'm wasn't trying to bag on FCP, I've just been frustrated.

Shaun Roemich August 9th, 2010 10:23 PM

Jason, as well, make sure to learn AT LEAST the basics of keyboard shortcuts:

A: arrow tool
T: track selection tool (toggles between multiple selectors)
I & O: set in and out points
OPTION I & O: deselects in and out points
B: blade too (toggles between single and multi blade)
N: turns snapping on and off
J,K,L: transport controls
<Home>: jump to beginning
<end> or <shift+home>: jump to end
Up Arrow: previous edit
Down Arrow: next edit
<shift + F4>: toggle lock/unlock ALL video layers
<shift + F5>: toggle lock/unlock ALL audio layers

If I see an editor going to the menus for any of these, I get suspicious of the amount of time they have actually spent editing in FCP...

Jason Sovey August 9th, 2010 10:41 PM

Thanks! That will help. A lot of the shortcuts are the same as Edius. I've even learned a few by mistake... like CTRL V to cut a track... I learned that while trying to paste something...lol.

Nigel Barker August 10th, 2010 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaun Roemich (Post 1557452)
<Home>: jump to beginning
<end> or <shift+home>: jump to end

For those of you with one of the new little Apple wireless keyboards
<Home> = FN + Left Arrow
<End> = FN + Right Arrow

David Knaggs August 11th, 2010 04:33 PM

Here's a handy shortcut if your FCP windows are spread over more than one screen and you want something quicker than dragging and clicking the mouse to make a different window active:

To make a window active, press one of the following keyboard shortcuts:

Browser: Command-4
Viewer: Command-1
Timeline: Command-3
Canvas: Command-2

Sherif Choudhry August 11th, 2010 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason Sovey (Post 1557450)
Cool! I will try it.
I'm wasn't trying to bag on FCP, I've just been frustrated.

I used Vegas for many years and am a fan. but I moved over to FCP for solid reasons. lack of 3rd party plug-ins for vegas, lack of reliability on the larger projects, that slow preview window, lack of advanced color grading were some of the reasons, little or no MXO or hardware support. Dont get me wrong I think Vegas is a good product.

Moving across to FCP was frustrating as a Vegas user - it just approaches things very differently. I found that unless I used it regularly it wasnt as easily intuitive as vegas to just pick-up after a gap. But I wouldnt go back to Vegas now. I love the workflow with Soundtrack and Color. And after reading this forum tips I create sharp DVD from HDV with Compressor. It took 1 project and a Its rock solid. good 3 months before I felt I really knew it well. (But hey maybe I'm just slow :-)

In fact I think its not worthwhile comparing them at all. different price points etc. Worth the move? yes, absolutely, for me.

Mike Bagley August 17th, 2010 12:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Partington (Post 1552653)
If you want to learn FCP (or even FCE) in the shortest time - subscribe to Lynda.com for one month at a cost of only $25.

Anyone else have any experience with this site? Is it good for learning FCP for a true beginner?

Buba Kastorski August 18th, 2010 06:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil Vitale (Post 1552126)
Someone told me that in the future, it might be wise to learn Final Cut Pro.

did that someone gave you at least one good reason to do so? is there anyting that you can do in FCP and you can't in Vegas? I know just one thing that you can't get in Vegas - 'Not Rendered' screen, and I like that!

Neil Vitale October 29th, 2010 06:40 AM

Checking on older threads...

Nope, they never did, other than that it is the 'industry standard'...

Thanks for all the replies everyone :)