DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   Final Cut Studio, Academic version same as full version? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/488430-final-cut-studio-academic-version-same-full-version.html)

Jeff Troiano December 4th, 2010 10:09 AM

Final Cut Studio, Academic version same as full version?

I ran a quick search for "Final Cut Pro Academic version", and it came back with some very old posts, but I didn't notice anything specific guiding me to what I was looking for.

Just want to know, if the Academic version of Final Cut Studio is the same as the regular 1k priced version, or a scaled down copy? As I've mentioned in other posts, I'm looking to learn FCP. My sister is a teacher, and if the Academic version was 100% the same, I was going to have her buy the copy for me (to save a little money).

Thank you
Jeff

Mathieu Ghekiere December 4th, 2010 10:26 AM

It is the same version, BUT

you can't use that copy to upgrade. To give you an idea: upgrading from an earlier version of FCP to the newest one costs 300 dollars at this point.

That means that if you buy the academic version now, you save around 100 dollars (right? or 200 dollars).
But if the new version comes out, you have to rebuy that new version at 800 or 1000 dollars, while all the people who invested in a full retail version can upgrade for 300 dollars (probably).

So personally... for the small difference, I would go for the Full Retail version, because as soon as a next great version comes out, you will be screwed to upgrade and you'll be sorry about buying the academic version.

Only my opinion though.

Maybe there is a clausule about not being allowed to use the Academic version to make commercial products, but I'm not sure about that, could be wrong.

But the software itself is identical to the full version.

Chris Davis December 4th, 2010 12:45 PM

Also, having your sister buy you an academic copy is a violation of the licencing agreement. Your copy of FCP would be no more "legal" than if you simply downloaded a pirate version.

Jeff Troiano December 4th, 2010 05:32 PM

Thank you,

That's everything I needed to know. I will be getting the full version.

Kevin Spahr December 5th, 2010 07:22 AM

Check ebay, read the auctions very carefully and ask questions if in doubt, but you can find deals there on legit versons sometimes. You can find full commercial versions in sealed packages with sellers that will stand behind their sales. I seen one in the $600 US range.

Mathieu Ghekiere December 5th, 2010 07:36 AM

I bought my Final Cut Studio 2 here on this board from someone who was stopping his editing plans, for 500 dollars. And then I bought the upgrade to FCS3 new from the Apple store.

Dave Allen December 9th, 2010 11:36 PM

You can buy a used version of any Apple software as owner #2 and transfer the license with Apple to yourself.