DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   Separate board for FCP X (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/497530-separate-board-fcp-x.html)

Chris Hurd June 22nd, 2011 02:28 PM

Separate board for FCP X

Hey folks, I've received an email that makes a good argument for hosting FCP X discussions separately from Final Cut Suite 3 and other earlier versions. What do you think?

Andy Wilkinson June 22nd, 2011 02:37 PM

re: Separate board for FCP X

A very good idea!

Shaun Roemich June 22nd, 2011 02:57 PM

Agreed. Makes sense.

David Parks June 22nd, 2011 02:59 PM

Yes. FCP X will have different issues from FCP 7 since it is so ....well different.

David Tamés June 22nd, 2011 04:02 PM

A most excellent idea!

Tim Dashwood June 22nd, 2011 04:06 PM

I think a sub-forum of this one will be best. If you make a new top-level forum we will just constantly be moving FCP X posts from here into it because no one will realize it is there. We all have this one bookmarked.

David Knaggs June 22nd, 2011 04:55 PM

Great idea. The early responses from the main FCP X release thread seem to indicate two main categories of "pro": those who work in a closed shop (or one-man-band) and those who work in a "pipeline". There seems a tremendous upside for the closed shop (though not without bugs), whereas the pipeline guys are generally disappointed (some bitterly) and likely to stick with FCP 7 until major pipeline features are added to FCP X.

As a member of the former, I decided to bite the bullet last night and downloaded FCP X, Compressor 4.0 plus a full set of FCP X tutorials. So I would appreciate a dedicated forum for FCP X where we can leave the petulance behind and settle down to sorting out the early bugs and workarounds - such as the apparently fragile media handling and connections. This is where DV Info really shines and we are really going to need this forum during this difficult birth of a new editing paradigm. (Well, it's a new paradigm to me, anyway!)

Ed Fiebke June 22nd, 2011 05:46 PM

It's a wonderful idea . . .

Olof Ekbergh June 22nd, 2011 07:53 PM

I vote for a separate forum. They really are 2 completely different animals.

I will only be using FCPX (FizPix) for learning in the near future. At least until AJA and Matrox have real video monitoring solutions working. And maybe on new WEB only projects.

But I use M100 and FCP every day. Maybe one day I will switch, we will see.

So I really view them as two separate entities, like M100, Adobe CS or FCP are all different.

Phil Hoppes June 22nd, 2011 11:42 PM

Great idea. You can call it iMovie Pro

William Hohauser June 23rd, 2011 06:45 AM

It's NOT the same program therefore a separate board is needed. Very, very promising program but I will not be doing any pro work with it for a few weeks until I get the hang of the transitions. The titler is a major improvement.

Kevin Spahr June 23rd, 2011 10:25 AM

Two forums will greatly reduce confusion since very few questions will apply to both apps.

Arnie Schlissel June 23rd, 2011 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin Spahr (Post 1661043)
Two forums will greatly reduce confusion since very few questions will apply to both apps.

You're assuming that people will actually be posting their questions in the correct forums, though. It's been my experience that other sites with multiple forums for the different iterations of FCP, a lot of the questions are posted to the wrong forum.

Tim Dashwood June 23rd, 2011 12:25 PM

The primary daily function of the Wranglers is to move posts into the correct forums, so this won't be a problem.

Kevin Spahr June 23rd, 2011 04:01 PM

Yes Arnie, you're right about that!!