DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   Apple Puts Legacy Final Cut Studio Back on Sale (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/500233-apple-puts-legacy-final-cut-studio-back-sale.html)

Rob Wood September 1st, 2011 05:21 PM

Apple Puts Legacy Final Cut Studio Back on Sale

FCS is back...
Apple Puts Legacy Final Cut Studio Back on Sale - Mac Rumors

"...only available through 800-MY-APPLE telesales... not in Apple Retail Stores or the Apple Online Store."

Nevin Styre September 1st, 2011 06:29 PM

"Apple has put the previous version of its Final Cut Studio video editing suite back on sale after a mixed reception to the new and completely redesigned Final Cut X. We received word that Apple had issued a memo this afternoon announcing re-availability of the product.

We confirmed with an Apple telesales representative at 800-MY-APPLE that Final Cut Studio, part number MB642Z/A, is again available for $999 (and $899 for educational customers). The product is only available through the 800-number and is not available in Apple Retail Stores or on the Apple Online Store.

Final Cut Studio is a comprehensive video editing package that includes Final Cut Pro 7, Motion 4, Soundtrack Pro 3, DVD Studio Pro 4, Color 1.5 and Compressor 3.5. Apple had discontinued the product at the launch of Final Cut Pro X, their next generation video editing suite. Critics of the new product had complained that the abrupt discontinuation of the previous version of the software had made the transition more difficult. Apple had promised regular updates to Final Cut Pro X."

Calvin Bellows September 1st, 2011 08:01 PM

Re: Apple Puts Legacy Final Cut Studio Back on Sale

Will FCP 3 work with Lion?

Rob Wood September 1st, 2011 08:31 PM

MacRumors Forums - View Single Post - Apple Puts Legacy Final Cut Studio Back on Sale
"FinalCutStudio 3 is UNIVERSAL meaning it has both Intel and PowerPC code, so it will run fine on Lion."

Jim Michael September 1st, 2011 08:54 PM

Looks like someone might not get that bonus this year.

Calvin Bellows September 1st, 2011 10:03 PM

Thanks Rob

Rick Presas September 2nd, 2011 08:49 AM

LOL. Big surprise here.

Since both FCP7 and FCPX are both going to be available, I wonder which will be the better seller?

My money's on 7. Every pro use I've spoken to HATES FCPX, and I'd be willing to be that the non-pro demographic is more than content with the free imovie that already comes on the comp.

Wayne Avanson September 2nd, 2011 09:23 AM

A more gentle transition from 7 to X would have been a smart move. But now Apple's put a lot of people's backs up with what seems like sheer arrogance, their decisions in this area will be watched with suspicion by Pros all over the world.

William Hohauser September 2nd, 2011 11:05 AM

This might be inventory clearance so don't put too much into it until more info surfaces.

Bart Walczak September 2nd, 2011 12:02 PM

Too little, too late?

Not that I'm complaining...

Chris Hurd September 2nd, 2011 12:37 PM

Duplicate threads merged per member suggestion. Re-direct left in Industry News.

Jason Lowe September 2nd, 2011 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by William Hohauser (Post 1679382)
This might be inventory clearance so don't put too much into it until more info surfaces.

It's software. The actual cost of the physical product (not counting the intellectual property contained within) is negligible. No reason to sell it off just to make a couple of bucks.

It's going to be interesting to see how Apple proceeds here.

Zach Love September 2nd, 2011 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevin Styre (Post 1679223)
"Apple has put the previous version of its Final Cut Studio video editing suite back on sale after a mixed reception to the new and completely redesigned Final Cut X.

They are being very generous in saying "mixed reaction." There was a pretty shared consensus of "WTF Apple?!?" reaction.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick Presas (Post 1679344)
My money's on 7. Every pro use I've spoken to HATES FCPX, and I'd be willing to be that the non-pro demographic is more than content with the free imovie that already comes on the comp.

Have they sat down & used FCPX, or just looked at it? Everyone that I've heard from that has used FCPX really likes editing in it. Though editing is only about 66% of non-linear editing & FCPX is missing a lot of that last 33%.

Personally I see this as really great news. It says that Apple is listening & not just 'saying' their listening. I have faith that they'll put the "Pro" back into FCPX eventually... even if I have to wait for FCPXI...

In the mean time, if I need to add another FCS license I can do it legally. I really want the 64bit speed in FCP, but for now FCP 7 is working well enough for me & just because FCPX wouldn't work for me isn't a reason for me to stop using FCP 7.

Rick L. Allen September 3rd, 2011 07:47 AM

Keep in mind that Apple has made it quite clear that FCS3 is "end of life" and will go the way of iMovie 6 after the release of iMovie HD.

Despite promises by Apple of timely updates to FCP X no updates have arrived. More than anything the inability to open legacy projects, poor external video support, lack of tape support and lack of collaborative features will always make FCP X a non starter for me.

Jim Michael September 3rd, 2011 09:36 AM

One of the hallmarks of business software has been careful attention to legacy support. The primary reason for this is the expense associated with software changes. On consumer systems a large infrastructure is not at risk but this is not the case in companies where critical software systems may be in use that are dependent on particular OS configurations. Your software is often only one part of a complex configuration that must be supported by the IT department. This little stunt that Apple pulled is quite shocking from a business software support perspective and does significant harm to their credibility.