DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   New Scanner, FCP won't recognize the .jpegs (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/506029-new-scanner-fcp-wont-recognize-jpegs.html)

L.J. Morelli March 11th, 2012 07:32 PM

New Scanner, FCP won't recognize the .jpegs

When I go to import them into the project, they're grayed out. I'm at a loss, any advice would be appreciated. Thank you

Scanner: Epson V600
FCP: 7.03

William Hohauser March 11th, 2012 08:36 PM

Re: New Scanner, FCP won't recognize the .jpegs

Make sure the scans are in RGB not CMYK.

L.J. Morelli March 11th, 2012 09:07 PM

Thanks, been trying for a while to figure it out, tried PDF manual and on line sources. Do you have any other input? Thank you again.

L.J. Morelli March 11th, 2012 09:27 PM

Did a Get Info on the files, and the color space is definitely RGB

L.J. Morelli March 11th, 2012 09:55 PM

Tiff working fine, BTW, thanks

Jeff Baker March 12th, 2012 09:52 AM

Try renaming one from .jpeg to .jpg and see if will import.

Jonathan Levin March 12th, 2012 11:49 AM

Use either tiff files or photoshop files for FCP.

L.J. Morelli March 12th, 2012 12:13 PM

I have tried renaming, still nothing. Tiffs are do darn big, seems silly why simple jpegs aren't working. Thank you

William Hohauser March 12th, 2012 05:09 PM

I use jpegs all the time and the only reason FCP will not import is if the file is in CMYK or the bit rate is too big. See if you can use Preview to make copies of the files in a different size or format.

L.J. Morelli March 12th, 2012 06:04 PM

Hey Will, I'm on to something here. I reduced the size in Preview by 50%, and FCP was able to accept it. Still gotta be a better way while in the Epson Scan software. Thanks for the input, let me know if you have any other ideas. Thanks

Nate Haustein March 12th, 2012 06:07 PM

ppi too high? I think it goes 72ppi for web/video, 300ppi for print and I've seen options to go as high as 600 in scanner software. Try scaling that back to 300 or less?

L.J. Morelli March 12th, 2012 06:24 PM

Thank you Nate, I did try 72 dpi, same thing. I was just about to tell Will that I just tried reducing in Preview again 99%, and FCP liked that, was about to import them. Wonder what I'm stripping away by doing that. What a pain in the arse. Thanks again, your thoughts welcome.

William Hohauser March 13th, 2012 11:11 AM

I have had a few jpegs that imported into FCP but caused rendering crashes until I reduced their size. I do not know the file size limit.

There is a disparity between image files and video that can cause some confusion. Video is always 72dpi (as are most monitors) with an increase in pixels indicates a larger picture size (SD vs HD for example) but print images can be many different dpi sizes in the same image size (300dpi or 1200dpi in a 4" x 5" jpeg for example). This can be useful in editing as we can do a clean 4x zoom into a 4x5" 300dpi image even though the image size might seem to be too small for that.

L.J. Morelli March 13th, 2012 11:37 AM

Sounds plausible. But all I did was reduce it by %1, and FCP was fine with it. Something's up and I'd like to solve it. Thanks for the input again.

Nate Haustein March 14th, 2012 08:20 AM

Have you tried simply using the Image Capture software that comes with the Mac? I used to do tech support for an editing lab and the CanoScan and EpsonScan software was always the piece that gave me the most issues.