DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   FSC 3 UPGRADE and Lion/Mountain Lion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/513018-fsc-3-upgrade-lion-mountain-lion.html)

Josh Bass December 29th, 2012 04:54 PM

FSC 3 UPGRADE and Lion/Mountain Lion

Been having trouble finding the answer to this specific question.

Just ordered mid-2011 Imac, which means I am stuck with Lion (or Mountain Lion if I get the upgrade). So research indicates that FCP 7/FSC 3 works with Lion and Mountain Lion. That's wonderful, problem is, I'm still on FCP 6/FCS 2.

Now, what I'm trying to find out is, is there any scuttlebutt on whether getting FCS3 via upgrade is okay on the Lion family? As in, if I got the FSC3 upgrade disks and tried to install, will it work okay? Or is it better to install from a full retail version of FCS3?

If it makes things more complicated, my FSC2 is ALSO an upgrade from FCP 5.0. So I guess I'd be two upgrades deep at this point if I did it.

Dave Farrants December 30th, 2012 01:02 AM

Re: FSC 3 UPGRADE and Lion/Mountain Lion

FCP 7 works fine on Lion or ML. The disks are just disks, there's no difference with what's on them between the full or upgrade versions - it's the supplied serial number that determines if they work. Do you actually have the FCP7 / FCS3 disks or know where to get them? - They were EOL'd 2 years ago and are very sought after - not seen or heard of any on sale for months now.

If you have 7 (FCS3) upgrade disks, just install them, during the process you'll be asked for the legacy serial number for your FCP6 (FSC2) disks, then use the serial number for the new FCP7 (FCS3).

If you install 7 without installing 6, you will lose the Livetype program but this CAN be installed from your v6 disks afterwards with a slight 'hack' (on Lion anyway, not tried it on ML).

You do not need to install 5 for any reason, when 7 was first announced you could use any version from v2 onwards as long as it was a full version to get an upgrade serial for v7. You might find you need to enter your v5 serial if your v6 version is an upgrade, so long as somewhere down the line you have a full version serial, the v7 upgrade serial will work.

Josh Bass December 30th, 2012 01:48 AM

Do I have them NOW? No. But they pop up for sale from time to time, so good to know that if I seek them it won't be in vain.

I was hoping to not have to keep my old Imac around just to use FCP (I have the CS6 suite now too), so good to know I can use FCP on the new machine if I upgrade. The FCP suite is the biggest reason to keep the old machine around, the other stuff I use is either compatible with the new OSes or fairly cheap to upgrade.

Mathieu Ghekiere January 7th, 2013 11:46 AM

Remember, installing upgrades (I mean from 7.0 to 7.0.3) is a more manual process:

Let it instal FCP Studio 3 first, then go manually download the Pro Applications 2010-2 update from Apple's site, and do it prior before installing anything FCP X related.

Josh Bass January 7th, 2013 01:11 PM

Thanks. Still waiting for a sweet deal on the FCS3 suite upgrade from FCS2 to pop on ebay.

Dave Farrants January 7th, 2013 01:24 PM

Good luck with that, you might be in for a wait. Many FCP6 users were caught out when Apple EOL'd it overnight, the last upgrade I saw went on eBay for over $1000 - more than the original cost of 6 plus the 7 upgrade from Apple, although there was one recently on eBay UK that didn't sell at £299.

Josh Bass January 7th, 2013 01:30 PM

I'll tell you a dirty secret. . .that's a sucker's price right now. There are some that are buy it now for $600 on there. I'm still holding for $400 or 5 'cause the sold listings say it's possible.

Josh Bass January 23rd, 2013 07:14 AM

So, to update:

Got a full version of fcs3 from ebay for $575/free shipping. Could've held out for a $350ish deal, but those are the exception, not the rule (check the "completed/sold listings"), and I got tired of waiting.

So, if I got "about Final Cut Pro" and it says it's version 7.03, that's the newest possible version, right? With the 2010-2 applications update mentioned earlier in this thread?

Shaun Roemich January 23rd, 2013 01:50 PM

7.0.3 IS the last version.

Josh Bass January 23rd, 2013 01:56 PM

Right, but does that have anything to do with the "2010-2 applications" update mentioned above? What i mean is how do i know if i got that update or still need it? Thanks.

Jase Tanner January 24th, 2013 10:04 PM

as fcp boots, the 1st window that appears will show the version you have. Or if its already open, click on "Final Cut Pro" and then "about Final Cut Pro"

Francesco Ragazzi March 13th, 2013 01:14 AM

Hello,

I am in the same situation as Josh Bass, I need to install the FCP6 to FCP7 update on a few machines. If I understand correctly, the update I need is called MB642Z/A. Am I right to believe that there is a major speculative bubble on this specific piece of software right now?

1) The upgrade (MB643Z/A) is nowhere to be found on the internet,

2) the full version of FCP Studio 3 (the other option available, that is MB642Z/A) is currently starting at 1,169 USD on ebay (Final Cut Pro Studio | eBay), and that's probably the standard price now?

Thanks for confirming that this is how things are standing ont this issue currently!

Francesco

Josh Bass March 13th, 2013 01:57 AM

i got away with the FULL version (not just upgrade) for around $600. if you really hold out and wait you might make it happen for around $400. check completed/sold listings to see the current selling price trends on ebay.