DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   HELP ! Livetype Only Exports my Titles in MOV. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/57243-help-livetype-only-exports-my-titles-mov.html)

Brian Duke January 1st, 2006 11:30 PM

HELP ! Livetype Only Exports my Titles in MOV.

Hey I am trying to export my LIVETYPE titles into FCP5 but they are exported as MOVIE files without the tranparrancy for overlay. So I have two problems. One described aand the other is trying to overlay my titles over footage without cutting in on the footage. For some reason I am unable to have titles run over clips, but instead they cut in on the clip (making the clip disappear) or they don't play at all. Please help. I am new to live type , but intermeate at FCP5.
Thanks

Amy May January 2nd, 2006 05:50 AM

You can just import the Live Type file into FCP and work with that, but if it isn't working properly then try 'Render Movie' in Live Type and then import the .mov file into FCP. When you 'Render Movie' if you what the type on a transparent layer make sure that 'Render Background' is not checked.

Brian Duke January 2nd, 2006 06:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amy May
You can just import the Live Type file into FCP and work with that, but if it isn't working properly then try 'Render Movie' in Live Type and then import the .mov file into FCP. When you 'Render Movie' if you what the type on a transparent layer make sure that 'Render Background' is not checked.

I did both ways and it still shows up NOT transparant. Its a black background which won't allow me to run the credit titles over clips. What else should I do? =(

Meryem Ersoz January 2nd, 2006 12:05 PM

you have to adjust the opacity of the top layer to let the bottom layer through. it reads the top layer as a priority, so if you want to composite two clips, you need to adjust the opacity. click on the clip, in the viewer click on motion, click on opacity, and adjust to taste.

good luck!

Brian Duke January 2nd, 2006 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meryem Ersoz
you have to adjust the opacity of the top layer to let the bottom layer through. it reads the top layer as a priority, so if you want to composite two clips, you need to adjust the opacity. click on the clip, in the viewer click on motion, click on opacity, and adjust to taste.

good luck!

Thanks.

Then the top clip fades out. Can I do without havinbg it fade? titles usually should go over without the clip having to fade.

Dave Perry January 2nd, 2006 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meryem Ersoz
you have to adjust the opacity of the top layer to let the bottom layer through.

This is incorrect. The opacity of the title track does not need to be changed.

Go to Edit>Project Properties and make sure Render Background is unchecked.

LiveType is a FANTASTIC program for titles as well as some pretty extensive compositing.

The most convenient way to work with LiveType in FCP is to just import the LiveType file into FCP as Amy mentioned. Then you only have to render it once, in FCP rather than render a moveie then import it to FCP and render it in the FCP timeline.

Another nice thing about this is that if you control click or right click the LT file in the FCP timeline, you can "Open on editor" and it will open in LiveType. make your chnges, save it then hit Apple>Tab Keys to switch back to FCP. If you have more apps than FCP and LT open, just continue to hold down the Apple key and tab until you get to FCP.

Another neat trick is, while in LT, click on and hold the document icon in the timeline of LT, hit Apple Tab untill you are in FCP while continuing to hold down the document icon, then drag the document icon into the FCP browser and into any bin you might have created. I always have a Motion Graphics bin for my LT project files and other moving media other than clips.

Something you can try with the movies you've rendered, is to export them out of QT Pro using the Animation codec. Make sure you choose "Millions of Colors +". This will give you the alpha channel you need for transparency of background. However, if LiveType is working properly, this is not necessary.

Another thing I've found is that is you apply certain (maybe any) filters to the LY project file while in the FCP timeline, you loose the alpha channel thus the transparent background as well.

Brian Duke January 2nd, 2006 10:36 PM

Thanks Dave. Very cool tiups.

I did make sure that Render Background was UNchecked in both Project properties and also when I export movie. It still, however, shows up with NO transparancy background not allowing me to use it as a title over a clip. =( Any other suggestions?

Also, I still not sure how I get the titles to play over the clips. Sorry for not being a genius with FCP.

My LT files are being exported to MPEG-4. Is that the correct? Or what should i pick to export them as?

Dave Perry January 2nd, 2006 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Duke
Also, I still not sure how I get the titles to play over the clips. Sorry for not being a genius with FCP.

Brian,

Are you draging the LT project files to the track on top of the one you want the title to be over?

Another place to post is the Apple Support forum. There is a LiveType forum there.

I also bought this for myself for christmas and it's a great training guide for LiveType. The producer of it also hangs out here at DVinfo forums:

http://www.dvcreators.net/products/ltps.html

Brian Duke January 2nd, 2006 11:27 PM

No I am dragging to a new video sequence paralle to the clip I want the titles over. But I did try to insert it into a clip already, but it either just cut the clip in two peices or it didn't do anything at all. I a just got FCP but I am certainly getting more used to it. It is importing livetype titles that is giving me problems. I can play the LT titles BETWEEN clips withouta problem but not over them. Not sure why not.

The DVD tutorial looks GREAT.! Will get it