DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   What's New From MacWorld (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/5878-whats-new-macworld.html)

Jeff Donald January 7th, 2003 03:07 PM

What's New From MacWorld

Here is a summary of what's new from MacWorld today.

http://www.macrumors.com/mwsf03.html

Jeff

Ken Tanaka January 7th, 2003 04:20 PM

You owe it to yourself to try Safari. Painless migration, remarkable speed, better interface, better bookmark/toolbar management.

I've been using it for an hour or so and have no plans to go back to IE. It seems like an excellent piece of work and the first browser alternative I've been tempted to adopt for a long time.

Simon Plissi January 7th, 2003 04:46 PM

Hey Ken,

As a fellow new TiBook SD owner how are you feelings on the new 17" PowerBook?

I'm not so gutted as it's way to big to lug around and costs quite a bit more. But? Well, you know what it's like in this game. For a very brief period, less than a month, I had the best notebook. The new Firewire is not that big a deal for my needs really . Big shame the TiBooks can't use the Airport Extreme cards though.

Posted with Safari. Tabs are the big missing feature. Now where's the Safari suggestion page?

Ken Tanaka January 7th, 2003 05:07 PM

Simon,
That 17" PB looks like it would be an absolute dream-come-true for a video editor who absolutely must cut on the road or who really doesn't have desk space. Having just bought my 1GHz TiBook, and also having a generous Power Mac desktop system, I'm a very happy camper and not -too- tempted...yet.

I agree that the Firewire 800 is not compelling for may needs, either...yet. But, again, if I were doing HD work it might be a different story.

The Airport Extreme (802.11g) is a very good move, bypassing the secular 802.11a standard. Adding that USB port onto the new base stations is a very good move, too.

I sat through the entire 2 hr. keynote stream. Nobody does it better that Steve Jobs. I met him at a tech show several years ago when I still thought of Apple as a lunatic fringe. After 15 minutes he damn near sold me $500K worth of a WebObjects platform (for my company). He's a very persuasive fellow, really a master.

I have to say that I'm pretty pumped by Apple's direction and initiatives. Bravo!

Simon Plissi January 7th, 2003 05:36 PM

Oh indeed, the 17" PB is a dream kit for location editing, but for many like myself, if you want to travel light, shoot and edit your rushes on the move it is a serious piece of kit to lug around with all the camera gear.

FW 800 for HD? You mean without the need for an HD capture card? Or would one still be needed. Early days still. I thing though. I see FW 800 hard drives are being shown, but what I want to know is if they are still using an IDE drive with a FW bridge like the current FW drives. Are IDE drives fast enough to justify this?

Me too. Sat through the whole thing. Got ready for it with a cup of coffee and KitKat. :-)

I do like the way things are going. All these new and updated apps are very sweet, and as a longtime true believer I'm a sucker for them all. Though as a longtime MacHead I can still find something to whine about, such as iDVD2 costing me even though my new TiBook is less than a month old. And will be only just over a month old when the iLife pack is released. I've yet to burn my fist DVD!

Matt Stahley January 7th, 2003 09:08 PM

Ive been using Safari for a couple of hours now and i too am feeling the switch coming on from IE! Loads pages way fast!

Ken Tanaka January 7th, 2003 10:02 PM

I haven't encountered any site incompatibilities yet. In fact, Safari enables the Sony Professional site to load on a Mac, something that was not possible with IE. (Actually, I think the Sony site's sniffer code is just bewildered.)

It's very nice. Bye bye IE.

Curtis T. Stoeber January 8th, 2003 02:27 AM

I dunno about Safari yet. Needs some work. Not quite as fast as Chimera. The Back/Forward buttons need to be a bit bigger as well. Also it doesn't seem zippy displaying some graphics on certain other forums I visit. Much slower than IE, in fact. And I have IE set to "never ever ever cache anything no matter what". Safari seemed confused. Could use more in the way of preferences. It would be nice to be able to import bookmarks. Also, I turned pop-ups off and sometimes it would still pop up a new window from a site that does not render pages in new windows. Also it would take those pages and put them waaaay to far to the lower right of my screen... all the way to the point where I had to drag it back into frame so I could see the bottom and right side of the page!

Nice try, Apple. I'll try again when you try again.

Jeff Donald January 8th, 2003 08:30 AM

Safari is a great first effort. It is lacking tabbed browsing, which I've really gotten used to, and it can't import my bookmarks. It is fast, it depends on the site, sometimes Chimera is faster, others Safari. It is going to need frequent updates.

Jeff

John Locke January 9th, 2003 09:15 AM

Anything in the new releases that you can't resist besides Safari, Jeff?

Ken Tanaka January 9th, 2003 11:55 AM

I think that Final Cut Express will be a tremendous boon for folks who want more than iMovie but aren't ready/don't need/can't afford to bite on the full Final Cut Pro system. I predict that 1/3 -1/2 of our Mac editing posts here will come from Final Cut Express users by year-end.

Jeff Donald January 9th, 2003 11:57 AM

Safari is neat, but it needs to grow. It renders very fast, probably faster than Chimera. But it has troubles with some sites CSS. Give it time to grow up a little (after all it is still a beta) and it will be formidable. Just as a side not the former project manager for Chimera is now working for Apple on Safari. I think good things are in just around the corner.

Quicktime 6.1 is due any day. There are rumors that the QT codec is being improved, along with better compatability with other media file formats. We should have new desktops within the next 30 days. Apple needs to get rid of a slight inventory bloat. I expect FCP 4 at the same time.

Nothing too exciting other than what has already been announced.

Jeff

Jeff Donald January 10th, 2003 07:01 AM

I must be physic, or Steve Jobs reads these post. Quicktime 6.1 was released 4 hours after the last post. Hmmmm. Anyway, the real reason for this post is OS X 10.2.4 is due any day. All the new laptops at the show are running it. More compatability, a slight speed bump for some (mostly older machines), wait before installing if your in the middle of and FCP project. I don't like surprises while I'm editing.

Jeff

Jeff Donald January 12th, 2003 02:40 PM

It has been confirmed that the new Power Books announced at the recent MacWorld will not boot into OS 9 by any means (CD/DVD, external drive etc.). This is said to greatly decrease the time it takes to boot into OS X. The boot ROM can now be optimized for OS X and incredible times are being reported. Faster times are promised with new towers when they are released soon. Expect the speeds of the new top of the line towers to be at or near 1.5 GHz.

Jeff