DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   Final Cut Express (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/5879-final-cut-express.html)

Jenn Kramer January 7th, 2003 03:51 PM

Final Cut Express

This looks perfect for someone like me who wants the power of FCP3, but only deals with DV footage and can't afford to shell out $999. There don't seem to be many gottchas, just that it won't work with anything other than DV (or analog brought it via a DV converter, I assume). It doesn't say anything about 16x9 support but since it supports standard Canon and Sony gear Animorphic's probably still in the toolset. Thoughts?

http://www.apple.com/finalcutexpress/

Richard Alvarez January 7th, 2003 04:22 PM

Just exactly how much is "stripped away" from the full version?

It looks like there is a serious marketing war going on.

Simultaneous to this release, Avid has announced it's releasing "AVID FreeDV" next quarter.. A stripped down version of Xpress Dv... for FREE. Basically to get people to learn the avid interface is my guess.

Kinda like drugs... "The first hit is free..."

In the end, the consumer, (And us "prosumers") win big.

Keep it commin'...

Simon Plissi January 7th, 2003 04:47 PM

Bit cheeky for Apple to call it Final Cut Express.

Jenn Kramer January 8th, 2003 01:23 AM

I watched all the videos on the site (which are pretty helpful to someone who hasn't really explored all the features of Final Cut Pro), and it looks like they took out the Log capture option, exporting EDL's and OMF's, and the ability to edit anything other than standard-sized frames. Everything else for the most part looks exactly like FCP3.

Ken Tanaka January 8th, 2003 01:36 AM

I agree, Jenn, that FC Express looks very compelling for someone who wants a more professional editing environment than iMovie but not the whole FCP boat. For less than 1/3 the price of FCP it looks to me like you get 70%+ of the value. I have to believe that it operates pretty reliably since it's obviously hewn from FCP's guts.

Mike Finnerty January 8th, 2003 01:54 AM

Well, this is exactly the type of software I've been waiting for. I need more than iMovie but I'm not ready to make the finacial committment to Final Cut Pro just yet.

Since I only work with DV it should be fine. I guess I'll be one of the guinea pigs on this one. I'm hoping to purchase in the next couple of weeks.

By the way, I'm typing this post while using Safari . . . not bad so far.

Jeff Donald January 8th, 2003 06:49 AM

I wonder if FCP Express (I like the name) will get updated to FCP 4 features when it rolls out soon. They may delay updating Express for 6 months, so the pros who want the latest and greatest pay the bucks. I think you might also see a higher end version, FCP 4 Pro, with more effects etc. and more cost. I think it's good for Apple (and us) for the product to be split.

Jeff

Richard Alvarez January 8th, 2003 07:05 AM

The "Express" name is a direct ploy to tap into the Avid Xpress market. I think it's a probably a good idea. The fact that it's cheaper than the full product is a good lead-in. The fact that Avid responds with a FREE product is a great lead in. (Especially since it runs on MAC and PC) Once again, the consumer wins.

The more FCP approaches the capabilities of the higher end AVIDs, (Xpress, Symphony) the more AVID is forced to introduce those capabilities into their lower end products. To the consumer, it looks like AVID is playing "Catch Up" to FCP, but in reality, it's FCP that is slowly catching up to the capabilities of the high end AVID suites.

Now, if FCP can reach the capabilities of a SYMPHONY, at a lower price, AND cross-platform... Then all of us Avid XpressDV users will really benefit.

Go FCP GO! I'm rooting for you!

Bob Zimmerman January 8th, 2003 10:13 AM

This falls in my price range. To me it looks real good. It doesn't take long to grow out of iMovie, but dropping a $1,000 on Final Cut Pro 3 wasn't going to be something i could pull off for awhile. I'll probably buy the express in a couple of weeks.

Mike Finnerty January 9th, 2003 08:07 PM

I placed my order tonight. Should be getting it by the beginning of next week. I'll let everyone know what I think.

Of course, hopefully someone else will get it sooner and let us all know how it is!