DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   Key differences between FCX and FCP (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/5929-key-differences-between-fcx-fcp.html)

Jeff Donald January 9th, 2003 05:59 PM

Key differences between FCX and FCP

Some key differences between FCX and FCP:

1. Final Cut Express is DV only (NTSC and PAL frame rates only, no 24fps support).
2. Final Cut Pro supports 3rd party capture cards.
3. Final Cut Pro supports timecode, Final Cut Express does not present timecode information to the user.
4. Final Cut Pro allows you to LOG and capture.
5. Final Cut Pro includes support for RS-422 control.
6. Pro users can use OfflineRT, Express can not.
7. Pro includes three-way color correction and other advanced tools that Express does not.
8. The key-framing model is substantially different in Express. Only Motion tab items can be key-framed. Filters cannot.
9. Final Cut Pro has a Media Manager, Express does not.
10. Final Cut Pro supports EDL I/O.
11. Final Cut Pro can be extended with Cinema Tools.
12. Final Cut Pro includes Audio OMF export.
13. Pro supports Edit To Tape and Insert editing.
14. Pro can do a Batch Export.
15. FXScript is not in Express.
16. AE plug-ins are not in Express.
17. Undo: FCP = 99, FCX = 32

This is preliminary, but I believe it to be correct.

Jeff

Bob Zimmerman January 10th, 2003 03:24 AM

So Jeff do you think it still might be some pretty good software anyway? Or would it be better to try and get the full package?

Jeff Donald January 10th, 2003 05:48 AM

Truthfully what FCX is, is iMovie Pro. The majority of the missing features are for people or studios that do major editing. The two big features are Timecode and RS-422 control. Without those, no serious editor wil look at the package. That's not to say that professional looking DV projects can't be done. It would work great for any home editing job, students learning the interface, small companies that only shoot and edit DV.

Jeff

Henrik Bengtsson January 10th, 2003 06:09 AM

As i see it FCX is a great port into the FC system. Just like Avid wish with their Free DV initiative. Get the users comfortable with the system, and they will buy the bigger product when it is time to choose pro system.

Though, in FC's case, going from FCX to FCP isn't going to make you mortage the house, the car, the dog and the boat.

Simon Plissi January 10th, 2003 07:49 AM

Ye, but is there an upgrade path?

Jeff Donald January 10th, 2003 07:57 AM

Don't quote me on this, but I think you'll be able to upgrade to the full version for the difference in price. In other words, FCX costs $299, pay an additional $700 ($999 total) and you get the full version of FCP. The upgrades will only be through Apple care and there will not be any retail upgrades. At this pont it is only rumor, but it is from reliable sources.

Jeff

Bob Zimmerman January 11th, 2003 08:12 AM

<<<-- Originally posted by Jeff Donald : Don't quote me on this, but I think you'll be able to upgrade to the full version for the difference in price. In other words, FCX costs $299, pay an additional $700 ($999 total) and you get the full version of FCP. The upgrades will only be through Apple care and there will not be any retail upgrades. At this pont it is only rumor, but it is from reliable sources.

Jeff -->>>

I called Apple and the tech said he didn't think you will be able to upgrade. But like he said it's so new he could be wrong.
I went to the apple website and did some of the tutorials and all the specs on Express and it looks really good. It might not have a few things, but for my small business I don't need that stuff right now anyway.

Ken Williams January 15th, 2003 11:59 AM

<<<-- Originally posted by Zimvg304 : <<<-- Originally posted by Jeff Donald : Don't quote me on this, but I think you'll be able to upgrade to the full version for the difference in price. In other words, FCX costs $299, pay an additional $700 ($999 total) and you get the full version of FCP. The upgrades will only be through Apple care and there will not be any retail upgrades. At this pont it is only rumor, but it is from reliable sources.

Jeff -->>>

I called Apple and the tech said he didn't think you will be able to upgrade. But like he said it's so new he could be wrong.
I went to the apple website and did some of the tutorials and all the specs on Express and it looks really good. It might not have a few things, but for my small business I don't need that stuff right now anyway. -->>>

I'm cornfused... FCP is $299 on the apple edu sight and FCX is $249... is EDUCATIONAL pricing that different?

Because I was thinking "why pay $249 for FCX when FCP is only $50 more?"

hmmm...

Bob Zimmerman January 15th, 2003 12:55 PM

It makes you wonder!!! But with either one you sign agreement that you will not sale anything you make with FCP or FCX. I guess you could anyway but I'd hate to get into legal problems down the road.

David LeBlanc March 11th, 2003 10:15 AM

DOES FCX CAPTURE 4 CHANNEL SOUND... David LeBlanc

Jeff Donald March 11th, 2003 11:02 AM

FCX is software limited to 8 tracks of audio (hardware may limit you to fewer). FCP has unlimited number of tracks. Both only allow for two channels of audio to be input and output. Additional audio hardware can be added to allow fro more I/O options.

David LeBlanc March 11th, 2003 11:31 AM

Thank for the reply So if have 2 wireless system hooked up to audio 2 on the ma200 would FXC be able to capture the on board camera mic plus the left & right of audio 2 on the ma200 thanks David LeBLANC

Jeff Donald March 11th, 2003 11:38 AM

You would have to lower your audio quality to 12 bit, 32KHz. This will give you the 4 channels you desire. However, you can only capture 2 channels at a time (2 channel I/O). You would need to sync the second capture yourself in the timeline.

Jeff

David LeBlanc March 11th, 2003 11:55 AM

could go alittle farther on sync second capture thanks dave

Richard Alvarez March 11th, 2003 04:25 PM

Henrik,

You're right, the purpose of both FC Xpress and Avid Xpress dvFREE is to introduce the user to the interface, and entice them to move up.

Regarding the mortgage however, Avid Xpress DV now lists for $999, the same as FCP.

Remember, it was Protools (Avid) who introduced Protools Free, which raised the bar for audio programs.

Great article regarding this marketing strategy in the new DV mag.

-Bill