DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   Final Cut Express won't capture audio from wireless mic (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/61954-final-cut-express-wont-capture-audio-wireless-mic.html)

Rey Soares March 2nd, 2006 06:06 PM

PLEASE HELP! Final Cut Express won't capture audio from wireless mic

PLEASE HELP ME!

Hello everybody.
I have filmed using a wireless mic system and can't import the AUDIO into Final Cut Express. The video has been captured into FCE, but not the audio. It is "not there". The audio has been recorded on the tape, for sure. On my XL1-S the audio has been recorded on the Left channel. If I am not wrong I used audio 2.
Please, help me - I have a deadline.

William Hohauser March 3rd, 2006 07:08 PM

Check your capture settings and make sure audio capture hasn't been turned off. That's the second tab in the Log & Capture window.

Second, assuming that you have heard the audio playback already on the camera, make sure your editing set-up is monitoring both audio tracks. Sounds simple but it's an easy mistake. Check the captured video files in the viewer window, the audio tab should show a waveform on the recorded channels.

Rey Soares March 5th, 2006 10:33 PM

Hey William, I've checked the settings and they seem to be ok.
Now, the audio doesn't have the wave on it. Right after the part of the audio that doesn't have sound, I can hear what I filmed next when not using wireless mic. Both of this audios have been imported at the same time! The audio can not be heard only on that part of the tape recorded wirelessly.
Somebody has mencioned to me that it's because I use Final Cut Express. Do you agree with that?
Thanks again.
Rey

Greg Boston March 5th, 2006 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rey Soares
If I am not wrong I used audio 2.
Please, help me - I have a deadline.

That would be the problem. If you were using Audio 2, then you must have the camera in 4 channel mode which is 12bit/32khz audio. You'll need to adjust the capture settings if possible. I use FCP and am not sure what you have available in FCE. By default, mini-dv is two channel 16bit/48khz audio. That audio is what is normally captured.

Hope you get it worked out,

-gb-

William Hohauser March 6th, 2006 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rey Soares
Hey William, I've checked the settings and they seem to be ok.
Now, the audio doesn't have the wave on it. Right after the part of the audio that doesn't have sound, I can hear what I filmed next when not using wireless mic. Both of this audios have been imported at the same time! The audio can not be heard only on that part of the tape recorded wirelessly.
Somebody has mencioned to me that it's because I use Final Cut Express. Do you agree with that?
Thanks again.
Rey

Not to be repetative but can you hear the wireless mike when playing back the tape, either on headphones or the monitor?

Final Cut Express should have no bearing on the audio captured if it's on a standard DV tape.

Rey Soares March 6th, 2006 02:48 PM

Yes, the audio is on the tape, but can not get imported to FCExpress.
Thanks again,
Rey

Rey Soares March 6th, 2006 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg Boston
That would be the problem. If you were using Audio 2, then you must have the camera in 4 channel mode which is 12bit/32khz audio. You'll need to adjust the capture settings if possible. I use FCP and am not sure what you have available in FCE. By default, mini-dv is two channel 16bit/48khz audio. That audio is what is normally captured.

Hope you get it worked out,

-gb-

So, Greg, next time, shoud I just plug my wireless XLR cable to Channel 1 and forget about Channel 2. I just need one Channel on because I am interviewing just one personl. Shoud I keep the on-camera mic on? Not that I need that on, but would it be safe in case wireless transmission goes wrong?

Thanks man,
Rey

William Hohauser March 6th, 2006 06:17 PM

If you are using one wireless mike it's a good idea to have another mike in the other channel. Usually I use the camera mike. Sometimes the talent will move or scratch in such a way that the clip on mic is scraped. I can mix in the other channel to fill in the momentary loss of audio.

Here's an experiment. Get your camera and record the wireless mike on one channel for a few seconds and then the other. Capture this footage and se if the mike still drops out. Also try it with the camera mike on the other channel while you are talking into the wireless.

If the wireless audio refuses to capture but the camera mike captures, you have discovered a very strange phenomena.

Here's a workaround: Download an audio program, like the free Audacity, and record the wireless channel by conecting the line out of your deck or camera to the audio in of the Mac. Record the wireless mike channel and experiment with importing an AIFF file into FCE and syncing up the sound.

Rey Soares March 11th, 2006 06:28 PM

William and Greg, I just want to THANK you so much for the attention to this thread.
I think I have found a solution for the problem. I have filmed again and used the wireless on Channel 1. I didn't have any problem when uploading the image/audio to the Final Cut express. The audio was there.
But, when using mixed Channel or Channel 2 only the audio doesn't get imported. I guess I am happy with this "solution".
Thanks again,
Rey