DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   FCP 4.5 24P (2:3) 16:9 Capture Issues (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/72183-fcp-4-5-24p-2-3-16-9-capture-issues.html)

Tucker Wright July 24th, 2006 02:03 PM

FCP 4.5 24P (2:3) 16:9 Capture Issues

I've searched but haven't found a clear answer on how to solve my problem.

I have footage shot on an XL2 in 24P (2:3 Pulldown) 1/48th Shutter Speed 16:9. I also used a Letus35XL Enhanced but that should not be a contributing factor.

In FCP 4.5 I'm using NTSC 48KHZ Anamorphic Setting for Sequence and Capture Settings. I've tried many combinations of other settings but nothing has worked.

I get artifacts that look like jagged horizontal lines when the subject moves.
I have read other threads where people have had similar issues but have not seen any settings recommendations that have solved my problems.

I have not used FCP much before this so it is probably something I am doing wrong but I can't figure out what else to try.

Please help

Boyd Ostroff July 24th, 2006 03:12 PM

Hi Tucker. I'm trying to remember FCP 4.5.... I think you will find an "easy setup" for 24p and that's what you should be using instead of the regular anamorphic DV setting. Close all open projects and go to Easy Setup on the FCP menu. Check the box which says "show all" and scroll down the list to find the 24p setting. That will configure your capture, clip and sequence setting such that they all match. You might need to manually check the anamorphic box in the settings - can't remember if that's part of the preset or not.

Tucker Wright July 24th, 2006 03:18 PM

Thanks Boyd. I've tried the Easy Set Up > Show All> 24P Setting. I could not find a Box to check for the Anamorphic Option. I might be missing it somewhere. It did not work when I tried it but I will double check and see if I can get this to work. I appreciate the help.

Boyd Ostroff July 24th, 2006 03:25 PM

OK... select the 24p option. It doesn't matter if you capture without the anamorphic setting because it's just 720x480 and you can change the clips after capture. The easiest way to do this is to look at the listing of your clips and sequences in the file browser. Scroll way across to the right and you will see a column labeled "anamorphic." Click there until a check mark appears. This will make them anamorphic.

But there's a way to create a custom easy setup - not at my editing computer right now so I don't recall the exact steps, but you can find it in the help files or manual. Basically you would start with the 24p setting and then modify the capture, clip and sequence presets by adding a check in the anamorphic box. Then you can save the custom setup for future use.

Tucker Wright July 24th, 2006 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boyd Ostroff
Basically you would start with the 24p setting and then modify the capture, clip and sequence presets by adding a check in the anamorphic box. Then you can save the custom setup for future use.

This is what I did and it worked perfectly. After doing the Easy set up, I went into Video Audio Preferences, Highlighted Sequence / Capture / Clip Presets, Hit Edit and found the Anamorphic Box and checked it. Thanks Boyd!

Boyd Ostroff July 24th, 2006 08:35 PM

Glad it worked out for you! I find that whole process confusing myself, which is why I couldn't give you the exact instructions from memory :-)