DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   PLEASE HELP - Capturing in Final Cut Pro (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/73178-please-help-capturing-final-cut-pro.html)

Josh Woll August 7th, 2006 06:15 PM

PLEASE HELP - Capturing in Final Cut Pro

I recently purchased a Lacie D2 250 GB Drive. Runs fine.

I have been working with a 200 GB Western Digital hard drive and Final Cut Pro 4.5 on my Mac OS X system. Everything has been working perfect.

For some reason though, when I go to set the scratch disks for the new drive, I start to play the footage through the log and capture window, and final cut locks up. I have to force quit the program. I re-open the program, set the drive to the Western digital drive, and everything captures fine.

I can even copy files (word documents, video clips) from the main drive onto the lacie drive and it starts to copy just fine.

I've spoken with Lacie and they say it's something to do with Final Cut. Why would it have something to do with Final Cut when it works fine with the Western Digital drive?

If anyone could provide some insight to this issue, I would so greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,

Josh Woll

Daniel Stevenson August 7th, 2006 09:45 PM

I had a problem with a new Lacie Drive once - the problem was in my formatting. The OS Extended (Journaled) option made the Lacie unable to play back any files in FCE.

I was told this was the best formatting to use as a scratch disc but it just wouldn't work. I then reformatted as Mac OS Extended without Journaling and it worked fine.

Hope this helps

Greg Boston August 7th, 2006 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daniel Stevenson
I had a problem with a new Lacie Drive once - the problem was in my formatting. The OS Extended (Journaled) option made the Lacie unable to play back any files in FCE.

I was told this was the best formatting to use as a scratch disc but it just wouldn't work. I then reformatted as Mac OS Extended without Journaling and it worked fine.

Hope this helps

I've heard the same things. Turn off journaling for a video capture drive. I think the NTFS equivalent is called drive indexing, not 100% sure as I only saw the NTFS option once when I was setting up a WD 250GB drive on my HP system.

-gb-

Josh Woll August 8th, 2006 07:37 AM

~I then reformatted as Mac OS Extended without Journaling and it worked fine.~

If you could explain more about this feature, and how to do this? I do not know anything about Journaling at all.

Thanks for your help so far!

Martin Mayer August 8th, 2006 08:19 AM

Josh: Tell me your LaCie drive is connected via FireWire (and NOT USB) please?

Matt Crane August 8th, 2006 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josh Woll
~I then reformatted as Mac OS Extended without Journaling and it worked fine.~

If you could explain more about this feature, and how to do this? I do not know anything about Journaling at all.

Thanks for your help so far!

Its in the "Disk Utility" feature of OS X. By default, most LaCie (or external drives, for that matter [for mac]) come pre-formatted as Mac OS Extended with Journaling DISABLED. Once in Disk Utility, select the drive from the left, and check the formatting listed at the bottom. If it says "(Journaled)" then use the button at the top of the window to disable journaling.

If this does not work, or if it does not correct the issue, you may need to backup all the data and re-format the drive as Mac OS Extended with Journaling disabled.

I use a LaCie BigDisk 500GB va FireWire 800 and haven't had any problems... plus its fast.....

Josh Woll August 8th, 2006 01:55 PM

I haven't used the USB, only tried 400/800 as the hook ups into the Mac.

I checked the Disk Utility and it did not have journaled next to the drive.
I went ahead and put the journaled feature on and it still did the same thing in FCP.

More specifically, I open the log and capture window. I hit play. The timecode goes for about 2 seconds and then stops, but the camera is still running. Then the bubble from hell pops up and locks final cut pro for good.

See, I just received the drive so I have no trouble re-formatting the drive to make it work. I'm suppose to be getting another one of the same drives, so then I can see if it's this drive specifically that is malfunctioning. It's on back-order though so it might be awhile.

Thanks again guys for your continued help on this issue.

Josh

Daniel Stevenson August 8th, 2006 08:42 PM

what does the dialogue box that pops up say?

Josh Woll August 9th, 2006 08:04 AM

There is no dialogue box that pops up. I give FCP a couple of minutes to see if the bubble will dissappear, but then I go to force quit and FCP is not responding.

I mean, it has to be something with the drive because if I'm to reboot FCP right off the bat after that happens, switch the scratch disks to the already running western digital drive, open the log and capture window and FCP starts capturing perfectly fine.

It's really weird because I've worked with Lacie drives and they are supposed to be the best for Macs?

I'm going to see if I can try it on a different computer with somone who is running a different version of final cut as well today.

I'll keep you posted on how that goes.

Thanks

Guest August 9th, 2006 08:29 AM

Possible Solution / Temp Work Around

Josh,

I had a similar problem at the beginning of the year.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=53333

If you can't find a solution and/or need to do something right now, you may want to change set your scratch drive to the desktop, do your "log & capture" of your footage, then drag and drop your capture folder from the desktop over to the Lacie as you need to.

Jack D. Hubbard August 9th, 2006 10:46 AM

Just use one

drive...Are you daisy chained to your other drives? Try using just the LaCie. They can be goofy...but the 250's are pretty good. I have had occaisions where I have daisy chained to a Western and the LaCie (this was a 500gb) got fickle. Also your machine runs much faster if you are using one dedicated drive.

JH

Paul Cypert August 9th, 2006 10:54 AM

Dang...wish I knew that journaled thing earlier...just got a new drive and have a bunch of stuff on it already...looks like a late night copying stuff off and reformatting as it won't let me change the journaled mode without an erase...

Paul

Josh Woll August 9th, 2006 05:19 PM

Well gentleman, I went over to a friends house and tried the drive on his G5 with the latest version of Final Cut 5.1 and it worked fine. He was hooked in with 400 firewire and we were able to capture just fine.

My version of final cut is 4.5 HD. I'm going to try and shut off my western digital and just use the Lacie, but it sucks having to do that. I'll see if it works. My only hunch, if that doesn't solve the issue, is the version I have of Final Cut does not seem to work with the drive I have purchased.

Thanks guys for all your help and input.

Josh