DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   FCP 5.1.2 NOW AVAILABLE with 720P24 & 720P25 native support (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/75138-fcp-5-1-2-now-available-720p24-720p25-native-support.html)

Sergio Barbosa November 8th, 2006 06:04 AM

I hate to be the one breaking you the bad news about this AIC method... At least in my experiments, quite a few actually, it hasn't worked because after capturing, the picture was speed up, and out of sync with sound... I suppose it's because the AIC capture preset is designed for 30 fps.
I sure hope I'm wrong, and that someone will actually be able to do it and post the method in here.

David Knaggs November 8th, 2006 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Scattergood
Is the AIC route a workaround for the fact that there is no AIC for 24/25p?
Currently downloading the Firewire SDK 20 you kindly linked to - also noticed an update on the site for Firewire SDK 23 - any idea what this is for? An update from 20?

Yes. As I reported earlier in this thread (post #73), I couldn't get FCP to capture with AIC properly (video at 50 fps and only half the audio at 25 fps). Just like Sergio and others have found. So DVHSCap-MPEGSTREAMCLIP is the only way I know of right now to work successfully in FCP with AIC in 720p25.

The FireWire SDK 20 package just happened to be the latest one when I downloaded my version of DVHSCap about 15 months ago. If it's now up to #23, you can try that one.

Keep at that learning curve. You'll get there.

David Scattergood November 9th, 2006 03:49 AM

Actually I think the Firewire SDK 23 is more of a developers tool - certainly indicates that during the download.
Quick question (being new to mac and the download philosophy), should the Firewire SDK 20 download insert itself into FCP? Can't seem to locate it following the download. I moved Mpeg Streamclip into apps though it left an 'extras' folders behind...aside from that I find mac's really easy to use.

David Knaggs November 9th, 2006 05:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Scattergood
Quick question (being new to mac and the download philosophy), should the Firewire SDK 20 download insert itself into FCP? Can't seem to locate it following the download. I moved Mpeg Streamclip into apps though it left an 'extras' folders behind...aside from that I find mac's really easy to use.

No, it's not part of FCP at all. DVHSCap is a totally separate application. From memory, I think I just double-clicked whatever the icon was after the download then, from the window that came up, selected DVHSCap and dragged it into the Applications folder (it was a long time ago though).

David Scattergood November 9th, 2006 07:04 AM

Cheers David - I've now found it (not use to the mac OS tis all!). Hidden elsewhere within the hard-drive. I have both DVHSCap and Mpstreamclip now so at least I'm in with a fighting chance!!
I'll report back with my woes or indeed sublime workflow without any hints of hitches!
Thanks.

Robert Castiglione November 10th, 2006 07:33 AM

A possible solution to the 25P Capture Issue?

As is apparent from the above posts I have been having the awful problem of mid clip breaks while capturing 25P footage. These appear completely arbitrary.

My son, a computer science type of the first order, asked me to think hard whether there were any tapes that seemed NOT to exhibit the problem in order to better isolate the variable that was perhaps causing the difficulty.

Well, there was one thing. In my initial tapes I had shot with time code setting on the camera as record run not regen. I then switched to regen as a better way of ensuring time conde continuity in subsequent tapes.

Today I changed back to record run AND HAVE JUST CAPTURED AN ENTIRE TAPE with no mid clip breaks. The breaks only occur as they should when I start and stop shooting.

Is this something that anyone else has experienced? I have three more tapes to capture and will report my experiences further.This should be an interesting test as we used two JVCHDs one set on record run and one set on regen.

Rob

David Knaggs November 10th, 2006 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Castiglione
Today I changed back to record run AND HAVE JUST CAPTURED AN ENTIRE TAPE with no mid clip breaks. The breaks only occur as they should when I start and stop shooting.

Rob

That's exciting news. I hadn't thought of the TC GENE switch as a factor in this capturing problem. I've always had it set on REGEN. I'll put in a new tape tomorrow, set that switch to REC and record a 20 minute continuous take. I've got the old firmware too, so it should be an interesting capture test.

Tim Dashwood November 10th, 2006 11:27 AM

Quote:

You're kidding! This seems so backwards. REGEN should be the ideal mode for preventing breaks.

If this is the case, it might mean we will have to rethink the whole REC and REGEN thing.

David Knaggs November 10th, 2006 08:07 PM

Well, I'll be darned!

Rob, give your son (and yourself) a pat on the back. It definitely works!

At first, I thought it didn't. I recorded a take over 20 minutes long with the TC GENE switch set to REC. Then when I went to capture with FCP, I thought the best option would be to set an In and Out point and then Capture Clip. That was a total flop! It aborted after 3 minutes with a "timecode break" message. I tried Capture Clip again. This time it aborted after 39 seconds with the same message. (You can guess how I was feeling at this point!)

Then I tried Capture Now (just for kicks) and it worked PERFECTLY!

The whole clip captured - 21 and a half minutes long - on the first attempt. Smooth as silk. Go figure!

So now my workflow for recording, capturing and editing native HDV 720p25 in FCP is:

1/ Set TC GENE switch to REC.
2/ Allow at least 10 seconds pre-roll before the start of each take.
3/ At least 5 seconds post-roll at the end.
4/ Capture (using Capture Now) and edit away in native HDV 720p25.

Robert Castiglione November 11th, 2006 05:05 AM

David,

I have indeed thanked my son. Just captured the second tape. Only had one glitch, otherwise no problems capturing!! Critically, there was no sign of the dreaded mid clip break with the missing bit of capture. Interestingly, I am generally having no difficulties at all capturing using clip capture. On one occasion when there was a difficulty I then used capture now and that solved the problem entirely.

I am just about to attempt to capture the tape on camera two which I set to regen mode and anticipate a long night - hopefully my last.

Rob

David Scattergood November 11th, 2006 05:26 AM

I'll give this a try sometime early next week and see if I can recreate the same thing - potentially very good news.
David - did you try it with your own start and stops within the footage as well as the continuous take?

Robert Castiglione November 11th, 2006 07:56 AM

Ok, I have finished testing the possibility that setting time code to record rather than regen mode in part at least addresses the capture problem in 25P. By capture problem I mean arbitrary breaks in clips and missing portions of clips. (I am not referring to problems experienced by failure to adequately allow for pre and post roll)

On a recent shoot I had two JVCHD100s. One was set to regen and one was set to record mode for time code.

I also did a further shoot subsequently where the camera was set to record mode.

I have successfully captured both the tapes which were set to record mode without any mid clip breaks. In each case I predominantly used clip capture method (marking in and out points). On one occasion this did not work so I used capture now and that successfully captured the clip. In no case did I experience mid clip breaks. So, there do appear to be some problems but the main pain in the arse was mid clip breaks.

On the tape which was recorded when the camera was set to regen mode which i have just finished capturing the dreaded mid clip break occurred on multiple occasions and I had to resort to all the awful and time consuming workarounds.

Of course, I wait upon other people' experiences and further testing myself but this appears hopeful. I will be doing some further shooting next week and we will see what happens.

Rob

Eugen Helmbrecht November 15th, 2006 11:45 PM

Looking for the FCP 5.1.2

Hi,
Sorry for the unusual request
Recently I bought via ebay desktop G5 with Final Cut Pro 5.1 in it. Seller promised me to transfer registration for FCP on my name, however he didn't and did not contact to me any more. I got stuck with not registered FCP 5.1 and can't upgrade it to FCP 5.1.2. If somebody would be willing to send me upgrade file for FCP5.1.2 I could be happy to pay $30.00 for help.
Sincerely, Eugen
eugenhvideo@hotmail.com

Mike Marriage November 16th, 2006 03:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eugen Helmbrecht
Hi,
Recently I bought via ebay desktop G5 with Final Cut Pro 5.1 in it. Seller promised me to transfer registration for FCP on my name, however he didn't and did not contact to me any more. I got stuck with not registered FCP 5.1 and can't upgrade it to FCP 5.1.2. If somebody would be willing to send me upgrade file for FCP5.1.2 I could be happy to pay $30.00 for help.
Sincerely, Eugen
eugenhvideo@hotmail.com

In the UK the upgrade requires the original install discs as proof. Do you have those?

Jonathan Nelson November 18th, 2006 01:24 AM

Quote:

Ok, I have finished testing the possibility that setting time code to record rather than regen mode in part at least addresses the capture problem in 25P. By capture problem I mean arbitrary breaks in clips and missing portions of clips. (I am not referring to problems experienced by failure to adequately allow for pre and post roll)

On a recent shoot I had two JVCHD100s. One was set to regen and one was set to record mode for time code.

I also did a further shoot subsequently where the camera was set to record mode.

I have successfully captured both the tapes which were set to record mode without any mid clip breaks. In each case I predominantly used clip capture method (marking in and out points). On one occasion this did not work so I used capture now and that successfully captured the clip. In no case did I experience mid clip breaks. So, there do appear to be some problems but the main pain in the arse was mid clip breaks.

On the tape which was recorded when the camera was set to regen mode which i have just finished capturing the dreaded mid clip break occurred on multiple occasions and I had to resort to all the awful and time consuming workarounds.

Of course, I wait upon other people' experiences and further testing myself but this appears hopeful. I will be doing some further shooting next week and we will see what happens.

Rob

I have had the mid break ups as well. Its funny reading this thread and seeing that others have had the same issue. I have been just doing the whole recapture the missing pieces thing which is time consuming but it gets the job done.

I have a shoot tomorrow, and the switch is going to regen mode! I will see how that works. I have been using REC ever since I bought the hd100s. If this actually works, I owe you guys big!

I'll will post my results.

Markus Lanxinger December 7th, 2006 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew Young
It's still there. In fact, I'm getting closer to an 8 second loss. Not good.

we are having the same problems. is there anything that you guys know that we can do, besides rolling for 8 seconds before we move in our slate ...

thanks
markus

Tim Dashwood December 7th, 2006 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eugen Helmbrecht
Hi,
Sincerely, Eugen
eugenhvideo@hotmail.com

Just run software update. You don't need to be registered if you have installed with your own serial number.

Sergio Barbosa December 9th, 2006 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Markus Lanxinger
we are having the same problems. is there anything that you guys know that we can do, besides rolling for 8 seconds before we move in our slate ...

thanks
markus

Hey Markus,
Chech post #51 on this thread... You should go to the device control presets and change the pre/post roll time to 1 second each (that's the leats it can be set).
Good luck,
Sergio.