DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   Importing footage from DVD in timeline (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/78206-importing-footage-dvd-timeline.html)

Niels Neeskens October 25th, 2006 01:18 PM

Importing footage from DVD in timeline

Hey guys,

So I am working on a project settings:
DV Pal 48 kHZ Anamorphic
I have to import some footage from a DVD so I used the programm handbrake for it. I made a MPEG 4 file and tried to put it in the timeline. The footage is there but I have to render the whole thing and that takes 4 hours. Am I doing something wrong here. I made it 25 fps so it matches the project, or did I have to leave it on same as footage. I tried to put it in as a H.264 Video as well, but got the same problem here? Anyone knows what to do or do I have to bite the bullet and wait 4 hours (on macbook pro) and probably have to render it everytime I change something in it... Any help would be great?

Thanks in advance
Cheers Niels

Mark Bournes October 25th, 2006 01:21 PM

drag it into quicktime, export, movie to quicktime movie and change it's settings to match your timeline settings.

Nathan VanHoose October 25th, 2006 01:50 PM

To avoid rendering the footage you put in the timeline should be the same format as your timeline. I would do a conversion with compressor or just record the footage onto a minidv tape and import that directly into FCP.

Niels Neeskens October 25th, 2006 03:18 PM

Nice advice guys, thanx a million!

Cheers
Niels

William Hohauser October 25th, 2006 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Niels Neeskens
Hey guys,

So I am working on a project settings:
DV Pal 48 kHZ Anamorphic
I have to import some footage from a DVD so I used the programm handbrake for it. I made a MPEG 4 file and tried to put it in the timeline.

... Any help would be great?

Thanks in advance
Cheers Niels

Try MPEGStreamclip to convert the DVD footage to DV PAL. MPEG4 is a nightmare to place in a timeline, avoid it! Another good program is Cinematize. Unless this is a commercial DVD then you are on your own.

Peter Ford October 26th, 2006 03:20 AM

I've never been to impressed woth handbrake- i've got several dvd rippers, i found a cheap and cheerful one called DiVA, which has a wide choice of formats to rip in- all you have to do is rip your dvd as DV Pal, then your ripped file is in the same format as your timeline, and no rendering is needed.

HTH

Niels Neeskens October 26th, 2006 03:50 AM

For the record, it is not a commercial DVD!! Problem is that it is old footage from a company that I have to import in a new project that I am working on. But as soon as possible and in the highest quality. If I order a program that does it, it is probably going to take a while to get it. Handbrake was free and looked good but I can only get it in MPEG4, Avi or OGM file with the codecs MPEG4 Video and H.264 video. Maybe I should check out the onces you were talking about. Thanx.

Niels

Niels Neeskens October 26th, 2006 03:58 AM

For the record, it is not a commercial DVD!! Problem is that it is old footage from a company that I have to import in a new project that I am working on. But as soon as possible and in the highest quality. If I order a program that does it, it is probably going to take a while to get it. Handbrake was free and looked good but I can only get it in MPEG4, Avi or OGM file with the codecs MPEG4 Video and H.264 video. Maybe I should check out the onces you were talking about. Thanx.

Niels

William Hohauser October 26th, 2006 11:27 AM

MPEGStreamclip is a free download. Try it.

Niels Neeskens November 6th, 2006 10:46 AM

It all worked fine with exporting the dvd material to a dv-stream with quicktime, but with another project I have now I can't seem to get the audio with it. I export the material to an dv-tream 48KHZ, but somehow the footage looks fine but no audio! What am I doing wrong here? Thank you in advance.

Niels

Kevin Randolph November 6th, 2006 12:10 PM

Converter?

just a thought, I've run a DVD player through the S-video port of my Canopus ADVC 110 and captured directly into Final Cut. No muss no fuss. Do you have a converter that you could use?

I didn't see any appreciable loss in quality either, but maybe I'm not trained well enough to pick it up...

kevin

Niels Neeskens November 6th, 2006 12:24 PM

hmm I am going to try that, thanks Kevin.

Niels

Kevin Randolph November 6th, 2006 07:56 PM

Any luck with the converter Niels?

Niels Neeskens November 7th, 2006 05:23 AM

Didn't had the time to try it yet Kevin. I'll connect my HVX with the dvd player and import the footage in FCP. Tomorrow I'll go to the office and try it. I'll let you know. Thanks mate!

Niels

Niels Neeskens November 10th, 2006 12:44 PM

Sorry Kevin, I forgot to tell tou that it worked well. Thaks for the help!

Cheers Niels