DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   FCP and external drives (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/78851-fcp-external-drives.html)

Mike Kim November 3rd, 2006 11:36 PM

FCP and external drives

I'm running FCP 5.1.2 through an intel iMac core duo 20" with 2gb of RAM. I got an external drive today. Here are the specs:

Maxtor 160gb IDE
7200 RPM
8mb buffer

I was wondering... will it be fast enough to use as a scratch disk and edit videos from it in real time? Or should I use it as a storage disk only?
It's connected through Firewire 400.

Thanks in advance.

Cody Lucido November 3rd, 2006 11:57 PM

I have the exact same iMac setup and use my external to capture to and store all of my clips with no problem. I use a Seagate, though 300gb 7200

Mike Kim November 4th, 2006 08:17 AM

So you don't notice any difference in speed?

Richard Alvarez November 4th, 2006 08:59 AM

7200 rpm with an 8meg buffer is fine for DV editing.

Mike Kim November 4th, 2006 09:19 AM

Nice, and what about HDV?

Gunleik Groven November 4th, 2006 09:35 AM

HDV has the exact same datarate as DV. It's more taxing on the computer, but not on the drives.

Gunleik

Mike Kim November 4th, 2006 09:46 AM

Okay, thanks for the replies everyone.

Richard Alvarez November 4th, 2006 10:53 AM

In fact, its generally a better idea to keep your system drives, and media drives seperate.

Robert Rinkewich November 5th, 2006 11:53 AM

2or 3gb on Imac Intel 20inch

I see you guys are running the same setup that I just purchased. Imac Intel 20inch, with final cut studio. I only have 1gb of memory and I've been trying to decide to go with 2 or 3gb. I spoke to an apple/final cut rep at the Photo plus Expo show in NY last week. He said 1gb is a problem, 2gb is okay, and 3gb is even better (best)

Have you had any problems running with 2gb of memory?

Nate Schmidt November 5th, 2006 01:28 PM

I haven't had any issues with two gigs usually running FCP editing dv and a bunch of other apps at the same time, but as he says the more ram the better :)

Martin Pauly November 5th, 2006 03:44 PM

I, too, have an Intel iMac (20", 2GHz) with 2MB of RAM and two external harddisks. Practically all my work is with HDV, and I have had no problem at all. Just wish there were more FireWire ports on the iMac.

- Martin

Gunleik Groven November 5th, 2006 04:20 PM

You'll always be happier with more RAM if you have the option...

Gunleik

Robert Rinkewich November 5th, 2006 05:12 PM

Thanks

Thanks for the replies. I'm only editing dv, I've actually been able to edit fine with 1gb. I was able to lock up final cut once, but I had live type, dvd studio, and final cut running. Suprisingly, only final cut stopped responding, the rest worked fine.

I've been running a little widget monitoring memory, and I'm pretty much down to about 15-60 megs available when I'm running Live type and final cut.

I'm probably going to go with the 2gb, it s a pretty large price difference for the extra gig. If there was going to be a major difference in performance, I could justify the price difference. If its only marginal, then I'll stick with 2gb.

Here's another question, if I purchased (1) 2gb, could I leave one of the original 512mb in place, and have 2.5gb of memory?

William Muntean November 7th, 2006 05:57 PM

Thats correct 2.5