DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   XH-A1 not recognized in FCP 5.1.2 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/79555-xh-a1-not-recognized-fcp-5-1-2-a.html)

Larry Huntington November 13th, 2006 09:18 PM

XH-A1 not recognized in FCP 5.1.2

Just got the A1 today and I am trying to capture in the HDV 24P sequence preset. Log and capture cannot see the camera. Is there a special capture setting I need? I am looking at the A1 manual right now and will continue to look at the FCP manual as well.

Larry Huntington November 13th, 2006 09:53 PM

Found the answer...."Audio/Video Settings" has many more preset options than in the Log/Capture window provides. Selected HDV 24p and away it went.

Kevin Young November 18th, 2006 04:31 PM

XH-A1 not recognized in FCP 5.1.2

Larry, you say you are capturing in 24p. Is that the same as 24f I have not had a chance to play with this camera yet, but am very interested in it. I edit with FCP 5.1.2 and have been eager to talk to someone that owns a Canon XL-H1 or XH-G1

Larry Huntington November 18th, 2006 09:26 PM

Yes. Final Cut Pro 5.1.2 thinks the 24f from the camera is 24p. My only negative experence so far is changing from 24f in camera to 60i. When you import 60i onto the 24p sequence preset in FCP, you not only have to render the 60i clips, but the clips become jumpy or jitery with motion. I plan on posting a question about what the best scenario is for mixing 24p(f) and 60i on the same timeline.

On a side note, I've been playing around with the shutter speeds when recording 24f and I am getting amazing results. I videotaped a big fire my dad had going in the back yard during the day and at night, and when I cranked the shutter to 1/300th I could see the rising ash along with the smoke. It totally riminds me of the look of the beginning beach sequence in "Saving Private Ryan" or the fight scene in "Gladiator". It just looks beter in HD.

Brian Ellebracht November 19th, 2006 05:55 PM

where do you find the "Audio/Video Settings" at?? Thanks, I am having the same problem

Larry Huntington November 19th, 2006 07:08 PM

Option - apple - Q
Or go to the 5th item down on the "Final Cut Pro" Menu.

Under "Sequence Preset" you will find "HDV - 1080p24"

Michael Padilla November 21st, 2006 11:04 AM

Larry I am having problems.. perhaps you can help

First of all any footage I do import has Audio Sync issues!

I have the XH-A1 and the preset HDV-108024p doesn't work for me..

Well it sort of does.. It recognizes the camera but when I do a capture now it often says there is no video. When it does start importing It then stopps right after the first start/stop on the tape.. and says "timecode break".. then the footage acts odd.. Is there a way to import a 60min tape as a 60min clip?

Larry Huntington November 21st, 2006 12:07 PM

accidental post

Larry Huntington November 21st, 2006 12:14 PM

In the capture window under "clip settings" tab, there is a checkbox to eliminate start/stop clips. Also, if you are having timecode break issues, uncheck "abort capture on timecode break"...this is in the "User Preferences" in the FCP menu.
If you are having audio sync issues after trying the above, try to cature to an internal hard drive on your machine (no external drives yet). And when in doubt, try capturing a new tape and record something new (to test a tape issue).
If still troubles, give your mahcine specs/software and all versions in this thread.

Michael Padilla November 21st, 2006 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Larry Huntington
In the capture window under "clip settings" tab, there is a checkbox to eliminate start/stop clips. Also, if you are having timecode break issues, uncheck "abort capture on timecode break"...this is in the "User Preferences" in the FCP menu.

This has always been.. and I already did uncheck the box that says "Create new clip on Start/Stop".. but its still happening.

With my XL2 I had no issues importing full tapes as one clip..?? Any other ideas? iMovie HD will do it.. but then its in a different format..

Quote:

(to test a tape issue).

OK.. So it could be the Tape? I have re-imported this ONE tape several times in several different ways will the same result.. being the audio playback out of sync.. its a new tape filmed yesterday at 24f. I have other tapes that filmed at 30f that the audio is fine.

Quote:

If still troubles, give your mahcine specs/software and all versions in this thread.

Editing: FCP 5.1.2
System: Mac Pro (quad 2.66); 9GB ram; 1.7TB sata internal (partition not incuding base Mac Pro HD); miniG 2TB FW800 External Drives

-thanks for the assistance!

Larry Huntington November 21st, 2006 01:49 PM

That's a nice computer setup. I would shoot more 24f on a new tape, then capture it. Record about 10 seconds of leader so that you don't have to press capture at the absolute beginning of the tape. I have had sync issues etc. doing this. Start capturing the tape around 10 seconds in. Make sure your settings are HDV24p throughout and it should work fine. Let me know if this works.

Michael Padilla November 21st, 2006 01:54 PM

Thanks.. I'll try it soon and let you know what the results are..

I get all of my computer memory/drives from Transintl.com
They have a horrid website but they have great products.. just give them a call and ask for Sid.. let him know Michael Neuman sent you.. he should give you a better deal (but minimal) than what is posted that way..

Larry Huntington November 21st, 2006 01:56 PM

"...and I already did uncheck the box that says "Create new clip on Start/Stop".. but its still happening."

Oh, and Michael...
If your capture settings are not listening to you, take your FCP User Data folder out of the user/library/preferences folder and drag it to your desktop. Then try things out. If that fixes this, then your prefs got corrupted. If it doesn't help, drag the folder back and replace the new one and try something else. I do this once in a while when weird things happen.

Larry Huntington November 21st, 2006 01:58 PM

BTW, how do you create quote boxes to grab text people post?? I never figured this one out.

Michael Padilla November 21st, 2006 06:34 PM

Quote:

BTW, how do you create quote boxes to grab text people post?? I never figured this one out.

use the [ QUOTE = PERSONS NAME ] ..next place text HERE in-between the [ /QUOTE ] sign.. its like writing in html..
NO SPACES.. I just did that so it would show up.. no spaces.

here check it out
Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Neuman
Hi this is a created quote :) JUST NOW.. Hey you could make it seem like I really said this

Quote:

I RULE!!

Really!? wow your sure of yourself! :) hehehe