DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   Cheap video card for FCP dual monitor setup (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/8703-cheap-video-card-fcp-dual-monitor-setup.html)

Skye Giebink April 16th, 2003 06:30 PM

Cheap video card for FCP dual monitor setup

I need a cheap video card for use in a Quicksilver G4 867MHz. I'll be using it for a second monitor to put my bins and such on it while working in FCP.

For example, the ATI Rage Fury Pro AGP 16MB is all I would need and is $14. However, I cannot seem to find *ANY* cheap (preferably ATI brand) video cards that are for the Mac. I found a site with the card I mentioned above but it was for PC. I've searched the internet all over and I've called my local Mac stores.

Any help out there? Anyone have any links to a site that sells cheap video cards for the Mac?

Thanks so much in advance.

Skye Giebink April 16th, 2003 07:26 PM

P.S. It has to work with OS X Jaguar and with my old 15" Apple monitor (Apple Multiple Scan 14 Display).

Jeff Donald April 16th, 2003 09:01 PM

You can't put two AGP cards in that computer. You need a PCI video card to add a second monitor. The stock monitor is a NVIDIA video card. I would not mix brands if possible, sometimes the different drivers don't play well together.

So, what are your options? I don't think NVIDIA makes a PCI card for Mac. NVIDIA does make AGP cards that support two monitor. Buy one and sell your stock card.

ATI made a Radeon PCI card that was recently discontinued. You might find one cheap. But it might not play well with the stock card. ATI also makes AGP cards that support dual monitors.

Skye Giebink April 16th, 2003 09:25 PM

Thanks Jeff,

So I guess I should be replacing my stock video card with an AGP one that supports dual monitors. How much will that set me back? Any suggestions on which one? I'd prefer the cheapest option.

Unless you do think that the PCI ATI might work...

Looking forward to a reply.

Skye

Jeff Donald April 16th, 2003 09:35 PM

I would almost guarantee you'd have driver issues if you mix brands. Call some of the Mac retailers or check their sites for close outs on either brand. I've seen nice cards sell new for under $100. Used or ebay I'm not sure of the price.

You don't need lots of video memory for video editing. Gaming and 3D require the high end video boards.

Skye Giebink April 16th, 2003 09:41 PM

Jeff,

Got any examples so I know what I'm looking for? What should I be reading the specifics for?

Jeff Donald April 16th, 2003 09:54 PM

The NVIDIA GeForce 4MX series will work as well as any of the newer ATI (not sure if the 7000 supports dual monitors). Older NVIDIA's don't support dual monitors. 4X AGP, is fine, 2X is OK and at least 32MB of video memory, 64 would be better but not essential.

Skye Giebink April 16th, 2003 10:13 PM

Just wondering...

What can happen if something goes wrong while mixing video card brands? Does just you video card get shot? Or does it mess up your entire computer? I'm curious.

BTW, thanks for all the help.

Jeff Donald April 16th, 2003 10:18 PM

It won't damage anything, but the computer may hang or boot real slow, programs unexpectedly quit, screen freezes or slow refreshes. Mixing works for a few, if it doesn't for you, you can always sell it on ebay. Many retailers offer a return period on products.

Boyd Ostroff April 17th, 2003 07:43 AM

Interesting. I've got an older G4/733 with the stock Nvidia GeForce card. I added an ATI Radeon 7000 Mac Edition card over a year ago and have never seen any "driver issues". This is a nice PCI card which lets you hook up two more monitors (supports s-video, VGA and DVI). Has this really been discontinued? A month or so back I noticed MacWarehouse was still listing them for around $100.

One caveat though; I'm still running MacOS 9.2 on this machine. Awhile ago I read about problems with this card and FCP under OSX. Then later I think I read this was fixed. No personal experience there, but I can say that it works great with FCP under 9.2.

Jeff Donald April 17th, 2003 08:05 AM

My experience is with both systems but actually more with 9.x.x than OS X. ATI is always late with the delivery of their drivers. Newer drivers certainly could fix the problem. The issue may be more related to older Macs than the Quicksilver's.

Other important issues are that FCP 4 requires an AGP card and you may lose some functions or compatibility with a PCI card. Quartz Extreme (which is greatly enhanced in OS 10.3) only works with AGP video cards.

My recommendation for overall functionality and future compatibility would be either the ATI 8500 Mac Edition or the Radeon 9000 Pro Mac Edition Both of these cards are AGP cards and will drive two monitors and should come with the adapters to hook up you old monitor.

To the best of my knowledge the Radeon Mac Edition has been discontinued. It is an older PCI video card. It has been replaced by the Radeon 7000 Mac Edition It should fit the bill also and may be the most economical solution in a new card for you. It is, however, a PCI card and may not be fully compatable with FCP 4.