DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old April 16th, 2007, 05:55 PM   #16
Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Benner View Post
First off, you can download the 2.2 update and get the .m2t files to record directly into HDV 24 .MOV which import directly into FCP.

Having said that, the answer is likely no. Apple mentioned an Open Timeline. For Apple that means you will still need everything in a .MOV wrapper. From this point though, you no longer need to render when dropping clips of different Frame Rates, Codecs, and Resolutions in the same timeline.
yea we already do that... just wanting native M2t support
Daniel Wonacott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2007, 06:08 PM   #17
Major Player

I'd like native m2t support as well. I've got a ton of HDV footage I've captured from back in my PC days, and I can't use any of it without doing a bunch of transcoding. I'd also like mp3 support, but it's not that important.
But I'm psyched about this new FCS release! I can't wait!
Chris Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2007, 07:06 PM   #18
Wrangler

I just watched part of Apple's demo of Color at NAB.... wow, it was really impressive. They were re-lighting and changing the colors in music video clips with a few mouse clicks and it was beautiful. From what I saw, it looked like it would be worth the price of admission just for this one component. Upgrading to FCS 2 from earlier versions of FCP is quite at deal at $699.

Luis, I'm like you... wondering just how well it would work on my dual G5 though. Sooner or later I'll want to upgrade to an intel machine anyway, and software like this really shows off the new hardware.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2007, 10:13 PM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd Ostroff View Post
I just watched part of Apple's demo of Color at NAB.... wow, it was really impressive. They were re-lighting and changing the colors in music video clips with a few mouse clicks and it was beautiful. From what I saw, it looked like it would be worth the price of admission just for this one component. Upgrading to FCS 2 from earlier versions of FCP is quite at deal at $699.

Luis, I'm like you... wondering just how well it would work on my dual G5 though. Sooner or later I'll want to upgrade to an intel machine anyway, and software like this really shows off the new hardware.
I think your G5 should work fine. I'd look to upgrade the GPU to the fastest you can find. That's where a lot of the boost in Motion 3 is going to come from. I can't believe they tossed in Colors. This bundle of Apps is truly amazing. I though Apple were supposed to be money grubbers. Guess they have a soft side for software.
Harrison Murchison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2007, 09:02 AM   #20
Regular Crew

Will you be able to upgrade to FCS2 if you have the academic version of FCS1? I have to admit I've watched the video's Apple posted about this bundle, its incredible. I might not jump on it just yet, mainly becuase I dont shoot in HD yet, but it will be tempting to grab when I have the money. Theres other equipment I need to get, but Motion 3 and Color look so amazing I might have to just grab it. We will see
Nate Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2007, 09:10 AM   #21
Wrangler

Nope, there is no upgrade path for academic versions.

http://store.apple.com/AppleStore/We...nMore=MA886Z/A

Quote:
The upgrade version requires a valid serial number from a commercial version of Final Cut Studio, Production Suite, or Final Cut Pro 1, 2, 3, or 4. Academic and not-for-resale versions are not eligible for this upgrade.
But I think you're still getting a whole lot of software for $1,299.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2007, 11:02 AM   #22
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd Ostroff View Post
Nope, there is no upgrade path for academic versions.

http://store.apple.com/AppleStore/We...nMore=MA886Z/A

But I think you're still getting a whole lot of software for $1,299.
Agreed, $1300 is a great deal for 5 applications. In theory you'll make it back in two jobs, but thats a theory.
Nate Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2007, 11:27 AM   #23
Major Player

no upgrade for academic

However, to buy the academic version should only be around $700 (like it was before). So for about the same price as an upgrade, you can get the full academic version again.

Of course, that's given that you still qualify and that they keep the same pricing structure (I can't get to the apple store site to check from where i'm at right now).
Lisa Shofner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2007, 12:46 PM   #24
Regular Crew

Education pricing still appears to be $699.

Bummer that Color will not work on my brand new Core 2 Duo iMac (20inch)
Old April 17th, 2007, 01:56 PM   #25
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Johnston View Post
Education pricing still appears to be $699.

Bummer that Color will not work on my brand new Core 2 Duo iMac (20inch)
What's the specific spec that prevents Color from running on the 20" iMac?
David Garvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2007, 04:16 PM   #26
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Garvin View Post
What's the specific spec that prevents Color from running on the 20" iMac?
I think this might be a typo on Apple's Color-specific requirements: although it says 24" iMac; under the graphics cards supported they do list the ATI X1600 (20" iMac card). This suggests the 20" iMac should in fact work.

http://www.apple.com/finalcutstudio/color/specs.html
http://www.apple.com/imac/specs.html

(In any case, I wouldn't be worried too much about this. In the past, people have easily modified the installer to circumvent such requirements.... )

Best,
Dino
Dino Leone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2007, 09:18 PM   #27
Major Player

Thanks for the reply, Dino. I'm contemplating a MacBook Pro purchase but I don't want to miss out using "color". That's why I was wondering what spec requirement might be the killer.

Thanks
David Garvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2007, 08:00 AM   #28
Major Player

The specifications for Color state that you need the graphics card in the MacBook Pro 17" computer. However, my 15" MacBook Pro has the very same graphics card as the 17" (ATI Mobility X1600). If I purchase a 23" external monitor with 1050 lines of resolution, will my MacBook Pro 15" work with Color?

Thanks much.

Stephen
Stephen Pruitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2007, 03:27 PM   #29
Regular Crew

On the subject of spec requirements, I've been wanting to know if Final Cut Studio 2 will run fine on an Intel iMac.

I've read that Final Cut Pro 6 does not support intergrated graphic cards, so is that gonna be a problem? What about the previous version of Final Cut Studio? Will it run smooth on the Intel iMac?
Zulkifli Yusof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2007, 04:49 PM   #30
New Boot

I'm also curious- I have a black macbook that i purchased in June. At the time it had the same specs as the 15 inch macbook pro with the exception of the graphics card (2 ghz intel core duo, with 1 gig of ram). Thinking I wouldn't be using motion, I decided to go with the Macbook. Now I'm upset since on the website it says even FCP 6 requires a stand alone graphics card. Also, Color looks pretty amazing, so my question is do you think the new suite will work (other than Motion)? And what about After Effects CS3, since I'm interested in also purchasing that? Thanks
Jake Sendar is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite