DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   Quicktime question (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/9390-quicktime-question.html)

Marco Leavitt May 7th, 2003 11:41 AM

Quicktime question

As I don’t have a DVD burner on my G4, I’ve been trying to use an office computer to burn a short film using IMovie and IDVD. The export to IDVD function in this version of IMovie doesn’t seem to work and the tutorial recommends exporting to full resolution Quicktime before importing the footage into IDVD. Trouble is, every Quicktime movie I’ve ever made looks like crap. I tried it anyway, and sure enough, the video on the DVD I burned has horrible, obvious interlace lines and blotchy colors. I made sure Quicktime was set to full resolution, and the file size of the movie is about right -- just over a gig for five minutes -- so I can’t understand why it looks so crappy. Is there another setting I’m missing? This would all be a lot easier if I could just export straight out of Final Cut.

Jeff Donald May 7th, 2003 12:42 PM

What versions of each software are you using? OS, iMovie, Quicktime Pro (or Non Pro?), iDVD, FCP etc. If you don't have QT Pro that might be part of the problem.

Marco Leavitt May 7th, 2003 01:15 PM

At home I have FinalCut 2, OS 9.2 and use Quicktime Pro. Still get the pronounced interlace lines.

The machine at work is OS 10, Quicktime 2 point something (I think) and IMovie 3.

Jeff Donald May 7th, 2003 03:33 PM

In iMovie 3 the settings are controlled when you select export from File>Export>To QuickTime>Formats>Full Quality DV. Press Export button. iMovie 3 needs QT 6, preferably QT 6.2 iDVD requires an internal DVD Burner to enable the burning functions.

Marco Leavitt May 7th, 2003 06:11 PM

Just checked. Quicktime version is 6.11. The export to iDVD apparently doesn't work because its iDVD 2.

John Locke May 7th, 2003 06:25 PM

Also Marco...if you export as a Final Cut Pro movie and drag that into iDVD, the quality is better.

Jeff Donald May 7th, 2003 10:23 PM

Much better solution, thanks John.

Marco Leavitt May 8th, 2003 06:39 AM

Hmmm, it is starting out as a Final Cut Pro movie, but the only way I know of to capture it into the computer is through iMovie. Is there another way? I don't have Final Cut on this machine (I'm using the equipment at my job because I don't have a DVD burner at home).

John Locke May 8th, 2003 06:44 AM

You're definitely boxed in. I can't think of any solution other than buying a portable external storage device big enough to hold your movie. I'm not up on the different brands (Jeff can probably help you with that)...but I do know they aren't so expensive.

Marco Leavitt May 8th, 2003 07:08 AM

Thanks. Looks like I'm going to have go to a service bureau.

Rik Sanchez May 8th, 2003 11:04 AM

Marco,
do you have a laptop or a friend with one? I exported my 30 min film as a final cut pro movie, it was about 7 gigs I think, on my iBook and then i just dropped it into my friend's G4 and he is making a DVD out of it

What I did was plug in my iBook into my G4 by firewire, then I started up my iBook with the " T " key held down. that turned my iBook into an external hard drive for my G4, then I dragged and dropped my movie onto the iBook. I put the external hard disk icon in the trash and then I turned off the iBook.

If you don't have access to a laptop and if you don't get an external firewire drive, you could do it the old fashioned way and haul your computer to work and hook it up via firewire to the computer at work.

Jeff Donald May 8th, 2003 11:21 AM

You can even do it with an iPod. I use mine for carrying files and other emergency programs.

Marco Leavitt May 8th, 2003 11:57 AM

Really? I love excuses to buy new gadgets!
:)