DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Flash / Web Video (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/flash-web-video/)
-   -   Createspace, Kunaki, and others? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/flash-web-video/102422-createspace-kunaki-others.html)

Cory Mitchell August 29th, 2007 11:39 AM

Createspace, Kunaki, and others?

I've been looking for other companies who duplicate dvd's (not replicate) On Demand and Dropship to people who order your dvd (other than yourself). The other thing is that it would have to be no minimums (most people only order one dvd).

Createspace is a tad expensive, and Kunaki lacks some features, but both are automated, which is a plus.

Anyone know of any other companies?

Dylan Couper September 20th, 2007 11:42 AM

Look for a thread in the business section on Createspace/Customflix for some opinions on them.

Meryem Ersoz September 20th, 2007 12:56 PM

has anyone used kunaki? i was just looking at the website. i really don't understand how a company can produce media at these prices. who makes money at $1.60/unit? would love a peek at their business model....

Bill Mecca September 20th, 2007 05:16 PM

I use kunaki for my Losttowns of the Pine Barrens documentary. not many sales, so far(haven't really been marketing it much)... but the quality is good. No returns. I have ordered some and sell via ebay as well. They do what they say and it works. They also charge a $3.00 flat handling fee on each order, so they build in a little $ that way.

Stephen Eastwood September 22nd, 2007 12:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cory Mitchell (Post 736353)
I've been looking for other companies who duplicate dvd's (not replicate) On Demand and Dropship to people who order your dvd (other than yourself). The other thing is that it would have to be no minimums (most people only order one dvd).

Createspace is a tad expensive, and Kunaki lacks some features, but both are automated, which is a plus.

Anyone know of any other companies?

What features does kunaki lack? I just started looking at them and would love to know if there is something I am not thinking about just yet.

Stephen Eastwood September 22nd, 2007 12:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Mecca (Post 747552)
I use kunaki for my Losttowns of the Pine Barrens documentary. not many sales, so far(haven't really been marketing it much)... but the quality is good. No returns. I have ordered some and sell via ebay as well. They do what they say and it works. They also charge a $3.00 flat handling fee on each order, so they build in a little $ that way.

Even so a $4.60 charge to duplicate package and ship a dvd is really amazing, now-a-days you can generally get away with charging 5-7 dollars for S&H which covers that and makes you a small profit on top of a 100% profit from the sale. Multiply that times a few thousand sales and its worth it not to have to preorder, store and handle all the shipping and packaging.

Stephen Eastwood
http://www.StephenEastwood.com

Cory Mitchell September 23rd, 2007 03:54 PM

I've also heard the quality was good with Kunaki, but...
They only send payments in check form, which is fine if you're not making much, but if you are selling lots of copies then a check isn't the most secure way to receive payments..
Also setting up an integrated system for your own website is a little bit tricky and some of their pages are missing (404 errors) to show you how. This is only a problem if you don't know XML and web programming.
The other thing is that they don't (yet) send tax docs, which may not be a problem, but I know Createspace does, so I don't know if they need to or not....

I suppose for a couple reasons Kunaki would be good to buy bulk from and then resale via your own methods like ebay or whatever. By far their prices are the best I've found so far...

None of these things are huge and probably shouldn't deter most people (I don't know), I was just wondering if there was other places that do this.

Cory

Bill Mecca September 23rd, 2007 05:19 PM

FWIW

I tried using lulu.com but their upload kept dying on me, others reported similar problems so I ditched that (kunaki says its will work everytime and reconnect, picking up where it left off it it does lose connection) I looked at customflix, but their prices were not as compatible with my wallet as kunaki. I link to the kunaki sales page via my site. the page ain't much to look at, and you can't customize it, but its functional. they send checks once a month. It's supposed to be the 15th if I remember correctly but this month I got mine on the 12th.

It's not an issue for me, but their software is PC only.

Just to be clear, its $1.60 for the CD/DVD, a $3.00 handling fee per order, plus shipping.