DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Flash / Web Video (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/flash-web-video/)
-   -   Bad youtube results (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/flash-web-video/113586-bad-youtube-results.html)

Greg Boston February 1st, 2008 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Busby (Post 817506)
Youtube will leave it alone and won't recompress since that's the codec they use for conversion anyway.

They are migrating to H.264. That's how the AppleTV can view YouTube videos. I would suggest giving H.264 encoding a try since it's higher quality/file size than many others.

-gb-

Doug Rose February 1st, 2008 03:12 PM

You're right. I just uploaded another short using H.264 codec and the results were better than mpeg4. Not perfectly clear, but a marked difference. Thanks to all for the advice.

Benjamin Hill February 1st, 2008 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doug Rose (Post 818612)
Thanks for the feedback Ben. What shotgun do you like? We almost always try to lav, but sometimes you just have to run and gun. Since this is typical of what we're doing following this project, I would consider getting a higher quality shotgun, so what do you suggest? BTW, your you tube stuff looks great, so I must be doing something very wrong. Need to get that resolved at some point.

The Sennheiser MKH418S with a shock mount is worth the money, short of a lav mic on your subject it's about the next best thing.

Thanks about the YouTube stuff, I think I'm using H.264 as well and am happy with the results.

Doug Rose February 1st, 2008 07:32 PM

Thanks Ben, I obviously do need a mic that is more focused based on the environment I most shoot in. what shock mount did you choose?

Benjamin Hill February 1st, 2008 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doug Rose (Post 818791)
Thanks Ben, I obviously do need a mic that is more focused based on the environment I most shoot in. what shock mount did you choose?

Actually I use the one that came with my Rode mic, the SM3 shockmount. I don't use the shockmount on the camera.

Seun Osewa February 18th, 2008 05:06 AM

One simple trick to almost double the quality of your youtube videos is to drop the frame rate by half.

Dylan Pank March 2nd, 2008 05:00 PM

I think the handheld really knocks a bit out more than anything else. Some of my students' work is uploaded to youtube and I instructed them never to move the camera. It was uploaded at 640*480 XviD MP3 audio through FFmpegX.

www.youtube.com/portsmouthonscreen

I uploaded some home vids of my duaghter using the same compression scheme and it looked noticably blockier. Nothing I've ever shot handheld has ever looked any good on Youtube.

Damon Gaskin March 2nd, 2008 05:37 PM

Try another site instead of youtube.. Also flash output. :-)

Sean Seah March 5th, 2008 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doug Rose (Post 818689)
You're right. I just uploaded another short using H.264 codec and the results were better than mpeg4. Not perfectly clear, but a marked difference. Thanks to all for the advice.

Hi, you mean they accept .mov file now?