DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Flash / Web Video (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/flash-web-video/)
-   -   Tools for building Web site w/Video (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/flash-web-video/133640-tools-building-web-site-w-video.html)

Tripp Woelfel September 19th, 2008 06:43 PM

Tools for building Web site w/Video

I've been scratching my head for nearly a year now looking for a basic tool that will help me build a Web site. Years ago I used Front Page and hated it so much that I learned some HTML and wrote most everything else in notepad, but I don't have time of brain cells enough to re-learn this.

I've used Dreamweaver, which is great but not worth the money for what little I need. I don't want templates or some generic site generator. I'd like a WYSIWYG layout program that generates HTML that I can massage as desired.

Any suggestions?

Todd Moore September 19th, 2008 07:42 PM

I use Joomla for my site that has video. Works great for me.

Tripp Woelfel September 19th, 2008 09:37 PM

Thanks for the info. I just spent the last half hour reviewing the installation procedures and prerequisites. It's making my brain hurt. Clearly this is not for the feint of heart.

I'm going to review the documentation again tomorrow when I'm fresh but I feel this may be more complex than I'm looking for. I just want to ride the train. Not build the railroad.

I'm gonna dig thru this until my head explodes. In the event that pyrotechnics ensue, does anyone have any other ideas?

Meryem Ersoz September 20th, 2008 12:31 AM

PC or Mac?

Gabe Strong September 20th, 2008 12:48 AM

I use a Mac, so my opinion may not be much help, but on a Mac, I think Rapidweaver
is a really good option. Get the third party Flash plug in to create Flash movies so you
can have either quicktime or flash on your site. I totally created my own site with
Rapidweaver and I'm NOT a web programmer (disclaimer....my site is still being updated so
it's not totally done but you can get a good idea of what you can do by looking at my
site). Anyways, Rapidweaver is simple to use......BlocksBox plug in pretty much lets
you drag and drop stuff on a page wherever you want it....good simple stuff.

www.gforcevideo.com

Tripp Woelfel September 20th, 2008 09:51 AM

I'm on a PC.

Noa Put September 20th, 2008 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tripp Woelfel (Post 939805)
I've been scratching my head for nearly a year now looking for a basic tool that will help me build a Web site. Years ago I used Front Page and hated it so much that I learned some HTML and wrote most everything else in notepad, but I don't have time of brain cells enough to re-learn this.

I've used Dreamweaver, which is great but not worth the money for what little I need. I don't want templates or some generic site generator. I'd like a WYSIWYG layout program that generates HTML that I can massage as desired.

Any suggestions?

Well, I have been using "webpagemaker" in the past which was a great tool for building static websites with drag and drop, really easy to use though not so video friendly, think you could embed flash movies but that was about it, maybe they changed now.

After that jumped to wordpress, wordpress displays just about every type of video and even if your not a big template fan, there are many to choose from and they are all adaptable if you have soms php and css knowledge.

I did quite some tweaking on my site and because I'm actually a website novice I"m quite proud I did it all by myself and with the help of the good support you get on several wordpress forums.

Tripp Woelfel September 20th, 2008 01:42 PM

Noa... Thanks. That looks a bit more like what I'm looking for. I've downloaded both products and will check them out on my other machine.

Ben Ruffell September 20th, 2008 01:53 PM

After tearing my hair out with Apple's iWeb I now use Rapidweaver. This is what I came up with:

Ben Ruffell

Josh Mellicker September 22nd, 2008 07:02 PM

I would highly recommend Wordpress. We have built about 7 or 8 sites with it, including DVcreators.net. Click around and check out the speed and functionality, even with a thousand other viewers clicking around at the same time.

It will do anything any other web framework does, and much better, much faster, and much easier. Plugins and themes number in the hundreds and are mostly free.

It is a one-click install option at most web hosts (like DreamHost or HostGator, etc.)

I have tried many other CMSes... and my opinion is none of them even come close.

You can also get a free site at wordpress.com, but you don't have all the power over the site (ability to add any plugin, theme, etc.) you would have if you had your own hosting account.

Tripp Woelfel September 23rd, 2008 05:57 PM

Josh... Your recommendation of WordPress caused me to go back and look at it again. I found myself staring into the abyss with my mouth open, catching flies. A CMS may be just what I need or more than I can use. Not sure at this point. All I know is that I can't get there from here.

All I need at the moment is something to lay out Web pages. A short-bus version of Dreamweaver. I mean a really simple version. I don't need databases. I don't need e-commerce. I don't need blogs.

I just need a way to lay out and manage a half-dozen pages that I won't change very often. Just a really big Yellow Pages advert with better color.

Help me... please! (Beg, grovel, beg, grovel)

Josh Mellicker September 23rd, 2008 07:11 PM

Weeelll... I still stand by my recommendation.

Here is a very simple site:

Overview at Leaping Brain Labs, Inc.

with 7 or 8 pages... no blogs, nothing fancy. This site took about 15 minutes to set up.

It is a default theme. (I am going to tweak it a bit later...)

If I need to edit a page, let's say to correct a mispelling, I can complete this in about 10 - 15 seconds. With Dreamweaver it would take several minutes or longer.

There are many tutorials on the web on setting it up, it is easy... who do you host with?

Another question- would a free account at wordpress.com (or blogger, etc.) be all you need?

Brian Luce September 23rd, 2008 10:02 PM

I'm a real numb skull with software and this is the only sitebuilder I've ever been able to use.

WYSIWYG Web Builder

It's a html generator. Easy.

Tripp Woelfel September 24th, 2008 04:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josh Mellicker (Post 941914)
Weeelll... I still stand by my recommendation.

A man of conviction. I like that.

Speed of update is enticing and may alone be worth putting on my wellies and wading deep into the technical morass that I will only half understand.

I'll have to wait until I get through a couple more cups of coffee though. It's still way to early to really start thinking yet.

Here's my site. Covered Bridge Productions-Home Mind numbingly simple. I'd like to add to it a little, but not much.

Bill Mecca September 24th, 2008 08:49 AM

I'll back up Josh, and suggest Wordpress. I use it for two sites, both under the same hosting account. I found a theme I liked (Cutline) got it set up added some plug-ins some very , very minor tweaking, and mine run as a blog (not updated often enough) but the beauty is once you set it up all the layout is done, you only need to worry about content and that is a snap.

Philip Gioja September 24th, 2008 11:03 AM

I used to write my own website with html and SSIs, but I got tired of updating each page every time I wanted to change it, and then my wife started her photography and that was tough to keep up with too - just got way too clunky for anything other than just a placeholder.

So we switched to using 4 parallel installations of Wordpress and that's working out great for now. Keeps it easy to update and helps target individual customers too. I took some time to learn the Wordpress architecture, and if you know a little php and html it's a very flexible system.

It's not the slickest design, but it's functional: Welcome to Center Street Productions - Video and Photography.

Michael Wisniewski September 24th, 2008 12:38 PM

FrontPage 2003. I know you had a bad experience, but the 2003 version was the last version and it got rid of most of the silly proprietary MS add-ons, plus the HTML is useable. I've hung on to my copy because as you found out, there's really nothing like it out there anymore on the PC. I still use it for basic sites. You can flip back and forth between the WYSIWYG and HTML tabs to quickly fine tune stuff. Having said that, RapidWeaver is a good substitute if you have a Mac.

n.b. I wouldn't recommend Microsoft's successor to FP 2003, but I do recommend the 2003 version if you can find it somewhere online.

Tripp Woelfel September 25th, 2008 06:38 PM

Thanks to all who recommended Wordpress. Once I got everything successfully installed (not difficult), I can understand how it will be much simpler to update and maintain than a typical Web site authoring tool like DW or FP. I lived with FP for a few years and hated every minute of it. Site updates were a pain. Format changes were a nightmare.

My next step is to figure out how to get the look I want. I guess I'll be spending more time on the WordPress boards.

To all... thanks again. In particular, Josh... thanks for your persistence. And Philip, thanks for showing me what I can do. I'm going to keep some of your ideas as a model. your site is nicely done.

Philip Gioja September 26th, 2008 09:48 AM

Thanks Tripp. If you get stuck with anything email me - I'm not an expert but I know my way around it a bit.

Josh Mellicker September 26th, 2008 02:58 PM

Yes, the first time you do anything it might be difficult, the second time it's super easy.

I am subscribed to this thread if you have questions.

I should also mention the awesome PodPress podcasting plugin.

David Gibson September 27th, 2008 03:44 PM

Tripp,

You may be underestimating your abilities in the discussion about how to set up a site. I'm impressed with the way you've incorporated Flash into your website. That piece alone shows you have a strong aptitude for all things related to websites and posting video.

The flash piece is what I'm struggling with. I've downloaded Adobe Flash and am having a heck of time figuring out who to put an flv file on my site and make it run/show. Any advice in where to look or how to get my pea-sized brain wrapped around this process? And, yes, unlike you, I really do have a pea-sized brain. :-)

dave

Laurence Scott October 13th, 2008 09:16 AM

- late to the party -

I'll be building [or should say attempting to build a site] with - EzGenerator
Website Building Software: Create Websites without HTML coding. EZGenerator Website builder

Haven't had much time to delve into it yet but they have a ton of free, customizable templates/themes you can download.

George Kroonder October 13th, 2008 11:12 AM

Whohoo... Hey, where did all the people go? Well at least the keg is still sorta cold.

So just wanted to add two things:
1. Outsource your CMS template building (sleep better and have more free time)
2. Take a look at Build a Website - Create a Blog - Squarespace

There are many Wordpress savvy independents that can take your cues or design and get you up-and-running fast. Then you can always maintain it yourself.

SquareSpace is pretty unique in that it is a CMS for a site or a blog but it is completely and easily web configurable and is offered as a complete solution including (very) reliable hosting.

George/

Josh Chesarek October 13th, 2008 12:02 PM

Hey Tripp, if you keep up with wordpress and start wanting to post more videos there are a few plugins out there to help. I wrote one and am still developing it.

Simple Thought Productions SFV Plugin

If you use it and have any comments or problems I would love to hear them.

Mark Shea October 23rd, 2008 06:13 AM

I use wordpress, show in a box is a great video friendly template

Mark
Home at overlander.tv