DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Flash / Web Video (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/flash-web-video/)
-   -   Getting the most from h264 in PP2 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/flash-web-video/136142-getting-most-h264-pp2.html)

Alfred Diaz October 16th, 2008 12:59 AM

Getting the most from h264 in PP2

PP2's encoder will make QT movies with H264. But I can't seem to get my settings just right to were I can make a small enough file to my liking (to what others have made).

Here are some of my settings:

My pixel dimensions are 640 by 480.
My frame rate is 29.97
My data rate seems to always stay too high (around 3 mbytes per sec)

I have tried messing with bit rate, key framing and hintering, to no avail. If anything, I make the files larger.

My goal is 8 MB per minute (I'd be happy with 10) with a good looking 640 by 480 image size. I know it's do-able because I have seen others do it. What am I doing wrong.

Two more notes: My current 3 minute video project is taking about 75 MB. It's apect is 16:9 (letterbox).

Thanks.

Tripp Woelfel October 16th, 2008 07:23 AM

I did a rough-and-ready render to post something quickly on Vimeo and I used their preset recommendation and I think it worked out fine. The project was 5:55 and yielded a file size of 83.1MB. This might get you closer to your goal.

Here are the key settings:
640x480
Field order: None (Progressive)
PAR: Square
Profile: Main
Level: 3.1
CBR

Set Key Frame Distance: 30

Audio
AAC
Stereo
ff.1
High
128 kbps

Hope that helps.

Alfred Diaz October 16th, 2008 12:21 PM

I will give it shot. I still should be able to get good looking video under 10MB per minute. I will let you know how it turns out.

Thanks for your reply.

Alfred

Alfred Diaz October 17th, 2008 01:04 AM

I did it, but in a round about way. I made a hi-res full scale Quicktime movie in Premiere Pro using h.264. Then I took that movie and loaded it on my Mac and made a new project in FCP6. After I had it in FCP, here is what I did:

I exported the movie to Quick Time Conversion; chose "streaming medium" in my pull down settings; changed the frame rate to 29.97; changed the file size 640 x 480 letter box; quadrippled the bit rate to 880. That's it. I left the key framing at 75 and everything else that is preset for the "streaming medium" setting. I didn't even mess with the quality tab.

It looks great (for a web streaming version). And I was able to make a 1 minute movie in 6.3MB. That means I should be able to post an awesome looking 10 minutes clip that will be less than 70MB.

I still wish I could do this with Premiere Pro 2, but at least I have a formula that works.

By the way, I still think .wmv videos look better for streaming when you need small sized documents.

If you have any suggestions on how to do this with premiere pro, send them in.

One more note: Tripp, I tried your settings, but I think I did something wrong. My file was too large and I couldn't find all the options you listed. Are you certain all those options are available in Premiere Pro 2?

Thanks.

Josh Chesarek October 17th, 2008 05:19 AM

You should indeed be able to get some great quality looking footage at 10MB a minute.

This footage is almost your resolution (608*342)
Simple Flash Video Player

The bitrate is around 800-900.

The file is about 6.9MB a minute.

There are a lot of settings but Tripp put you on the right path. Expand the advanced settings in the premiere encoder and play around :)

Tripp Woelfel October 17th, 2008 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alfred Diaz (Post 952306)
Tripp, I tried your settings, but I think I did something wrong. My file was too large and I couldn't find all the options you listed. Are you certain all those options are available in Premiere Pro 2?

Although I haven't used CS2, I'm sure those settings are in there somewhere. They are the keys to controlling quality and file size.

I'll also have to echo Josh's comments about Flash. It's nearly the defacto standard for Web delivery of video and at last check has the highest client-side penetration for Web video.

Josh Chesarek October 17th, 2008 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tripp Woelfel (Post 952375)
Although I haven't used CS2, I'm sure those settings are in there somewhere. They are the keys to controlling quality and file size.

I'll also have to echo Josh's comments about Flash. It's nearly the defacto standard for Web delivery of video and at last check has the highest client-side penetration for Web video.

Sorry I did not specify. The video is .mp4 with h.264. The file is just being played by flash.

The direct link to the video is:

http://www.simplethoughtproductions....heastern08.mp4

Alfred Diaz October 20th, 2008 10:01 PM

Tripp and Josh, I will take your word for it, but I will need a couple days to get around to it. I am pretty busy at the moment.

Thanks.