DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Flash / Web Video (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/flash-web-video/)
-   -   Webcast - need serious / fast help please (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/flash-web-video/138778-webcast-need-serious-fast-help-please.html)

Scott Brooks December 1st, 2008 02:44 PM

Webcast - need serious / fast help please

I need to know whether or not I have the capability of doing a webcast for a corporate client. Their meeting is in January and I need to move on this quickly before they find someone else.

I've produced their meetings in the past at various locations ... providing the speaker projected on screen and switching to pre-produced DVDs.

Because of cutbacks they've decided to go to a webcast solution ... one meeting sent to two other locations where they will have screens setup for their employees to view in small auditoriums.

I only need one camera, so no need to worry about a live switch between cameras. I have the MX-30 as a switcher and have used that in the past to switch between the camera and DVD.

Would I be able to split the signal from my mixer ... one line going to the live audience and the other to the computer?

What do I need in terms of inputs for the computer?

What kind of specs for the computer to handle it?

I'm guessing that the company would have to purchase bandwidth since they need a strong signal. The two satellite meetings would be projecting on a 9x12 screen.

I don't want to get myself into something where I've been setup to fail, but if this is basically as easy as doing a live production then I should be good.

Thank you for any insight or help you might be able to provide.

Josh Chesarek December 1st, 2008 03:29 PM

Well.

It sounds like all you need is a few things. A camera with firewire, a laptop with firewire that has a GB of ram and about 1.5Ghz CPU. (Or Desktop). An internet connection that can upload fast enough to send out the video signal at least once. Twice would better because you could then potentially do this without a server. If they can only get the bandwidth for one stream you will need to upload it to a streaming server which will then carry the load for the 2 locations you are sending to.

What you need to do is determine what format you want to use. I would suggest Flash or WMV. I like flash but in this case WMV Encoder can also act as a server for up to 50 connections assuming their internet can handle sending out the 2 streams. If it is a close call I would pay for a streaming server as it will probably be more reliable. Flash requires a server such as the FMS or Red5. Neither of which are an easy setup for the first timer but services such as MultiMediaPros: Live Webcast Events can make it easy (and cost effective)

Once you know what format you will be using you can get the specs for the computer to encode the video.

I have found streaming live events fairly easy when using FMS with Multimedia Pros as well as WMV with other hosts. The trick is to do it a few times so you get used to it. It might also help that I have been working with Computers for a while.

Hopefully I have given you a starting point. If you have more specific questions I will be happy to try an answer them.

Ger Griffin December 2nd, 2008 10:25 AM

have a look at the slingbox perhaps:

Sling Media - Home of the Slingbox

Scott Brooks December 2nd, 2008 06:05 PM

Thanks Josh ... I'll check back in on this and re-read it tomorrow. Geez ... I hope this isn't the flu!

Josh Chesarek December 3rd, 2008 03:15 PM

I tried to put some info into an article for my website.

Simple Thought Productions Blog Archive Streaming Live Video

I tried to compile some answers to your questions and others I have seen around the web.

Curtis Edwards December 4th, 2008 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Brooks (Post 971282)

Thank you for any insight or help you might be able to provide.

Check out Mogulus Live Broadcast - Watch Free Live Video and Chat - Live Stream On Your Website