DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Flash / Web Video (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/flash-web-video/)
-   -   Quicktime vs Flash Web Delivery Streaming (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/flash-web-video/144812-quicktime-vs-flash-web-delivery-streaming.html)

Pete Cofrancesco February 28th, 2009 11:36 AM

Quicktime vs Flash Web Delivery Streaming

I currently use Flash to deliver sample videos on my site. Movies won't play until its completely downloaded. From what I understood I'd need to host it on a streaming server to get this feature (which I can't afford). Would Quicktime allow playing the movie as it downloads or would this also need a streaming server? Btw, I know I could embed a youtube or vimeo but I like being able to control the compression/quality/size.

Denis Danatzko February 28th, 2009 12:09 PM

It doesn't have to be a streaming server.

I use Flash for progressive dl almost exclusively (with rare use of QT)...and I've done hundreds of web videos. They work fine for all except those with slow connections/dialup.

(Pick a link from here: Ad Hoc Video Services, LLC. - Equine - Barrel Racing Video)

I had to go through a few trial & error sessions, and needed help from someone more knowledgeable in HTML than me, but I eventually got it to work pretty well. Unfortunately, I only know pretty basic HTML.

Are you embedding the Flash player in your HTML? I believe Flash can actually create the HTML you need, but it may need some tweaking.

Pete Cofrancesco February 28th, 2009 12:27 PM

Dennis so if I hearing you right its just a setting that I need to change and it should work. Boy that would be great.

This is the video I was talking about. [CreationDream.com - Peter Cofrancesco - Freelance Web Designer] Its hosted by Host Gator which is a decent provider.

Denis Danatzko February 28th, 2009 12:56 PM

Checking something in my process now.

It may be a Flash setting and not an HTML setting.

Basically, my process is:
- edit in Adobe CS2
- Export to Adobe Media Encoder as Flash (flv)
- create a Flash document with correct size parameters
- Import Video (Pick a skin in this step).
- Save the Flash doc
- Make my 'Publish Settings'
- Publish
- Upload the .flv and .swf after prepping the HTML.
In the 'Publish Setting' window, check the 'HTML tab' for 'Playback Options'. I switch these based on the video I'm uploading:
'Paused at start' = usually unchecked; depends on the clip and what page I've placed it in.
'Loop' = usually checked
'Display menu' = always checked
'Device font' = never used/changed it; usually unchecked

It may be those playback settings, but I'm not positive. It's worth checking.

(FWIW, I also go to the 'Flash' tab in 'Publish Settings' and make sure I've checked the 'Protect from import' box. My understanding is, that makes it a little harder for the video to be copied. (Just remember that the next time you go to work with the same Flash doc, you may have to uncheck that box to make further adjustments. I forget off top of my head, but you may not be able preview the Flash while that box is checked).

Regrets for my inability to be more specific. I just don't know HTML that well.

BTW, that's a lively video. There was a time when I had as much energy as the dancers...those were the days.

Hope this helps.

Denis Danatzko February 28th, 2009 01:08 PM

Here's some HTML that may help.

AFAIK, this code is freely available at a variety of web sites. It's what I originally got to work, though since then, my HTML guru gave me a way to use php. It's now less cumbersome, but if you don't upload lots of files like me, that may not be necessary.

<object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" codebase="http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=8,0,0,0" width="360" height="240" id="myvideoname" align="middle">
<param name="allowScriptAccess" value="sameDomain" />
<param name="wmode" value="transparent">
<param name="movie" value="myvideoname.swf" />
<param name="quality" value="high" />
<param name="bgcolor" value="#000000" />
<embed src="myvideoname.swf" quality="high" bgcolor="#000000" width="360" height="240" wmode="transparent" name="myvideoname" align="middle" allowScriptAccess="sameDomain" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" />
</object>

where:
myvideoname = the name of your .flv and .swf files. (I'm pretty sure you run into problems if each is not the same name).
width and height = the dimensions used when you created the Flash document.

Hope this helps.
Good luck.

Pete Cofrancesco February 28th, 2009 01:13 PM

thx for the help guys. I'll try the code tonight at get back with the results. gotta run now.

Pete Cofrancesco March 7th, 2009 12:31 PM

I got streaming working. I needed to re-encode the movie and enable streaming. One small qwerk now is the poster frame displays first then a couple of seconds later the FLVplayback interface is displayed. I'm sure why it doesn't appear all at once.